Harry Potter

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
utendera
Level 1
Level 1

Harry Potter

Post by utendera » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:23 am

How can some people think that Harry Potter is teaching children to practice satanism? Okay, I love harry potter. I've read it for years. I'm pretty sure that JK Rowling wasn't trying to turn kids into satanists when she wrote the harry potter books. I'm pretty curious about the reasoning behind this.
Last edited by utendera on Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Harry Potter

Post by Kystar » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:58 am

It's because Fundamentalist Christians lump ALL "magic" into Satanism.

According to what they were taught, thanks to a lot of propaganda around the Burning Times, the old pagan gods are all devils sent by Satan to tempt people away from the "path to Christ". And all "Witches" and "wizards" had made deals with the Devil to gain their superhuman magical powers.

Despite not having any overt mentioning of Paganism, the Harry Potter books make magic interesting. And in their mind, that makes the kids more susceptible to being "led astray" into various Pagan paths.

On that note, though, I'm surprised I haven't seen a huge outcry against the Percy Jackson books...after all, they deal with modern kids who are part Divine. And that the Greek/Roman Gods are still around, still sort of controlling things.

Honestly, it's paranoia and ignorance at work. :roll: :roll:
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:01 am

It's the Fundies getting all worked up about anything different. It's the same people who freak out about black eyeliner. These are people who think that throwing apple seeds into a fire will call on the devil to take your soul, or even learning about another religion will save you a seat in Hell. There's no sense, no reason to it, just blind fear and hatred and brainwashing.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Janus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Janus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:37 am

It is seriously this diffused christian foundamentalism ? Becouse here in italy i see no trace of it, and if you think about, we are the "center" of christianity.
I grew up in a small village, aroud 4/500 inhabitants,offcourse all christians, and no one ever told me anything about my metal bands t-shirts, the music i listen ecc.
I understand america is a much bigger country, but i never heard italian christians whine about something like art or literature.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:54 am

America, Canada, and many parts of Europe are full of and in part run by Fundamentalists. After all, this is where the Salem Witch Trials took place. Many witches and Pagans still live in fear. You're very lucky to live in a place that is much more accepting!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG