Heathcliff or Darcy?

Love to read? Share your books, ideas, thoughts, etc.
white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Heathcliff or Darcy?

Post by white_harmony » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Willow wrote:Fitz is pretty cool, but I have to say Mat from the wheel of time is my favourite.

Although, the girls in Tamora Pierce's novels make me pretty happy as well.
*shudders* Wheel of Time ... *more shudders* I cannot ever pick up one of those books ever again. I think we got up to book 11 of a (so far, that I know of) 13 or so book series ... And all it did was bore me to tears ... And now, it'll never get finished! Sadly, it is one series he definitely could of done better ... But really, none of his characters stay in my mind, nor does the story line ... Too much jumping around back and forth between however many damn characters he had in play at the time ... Can't read them anymore lol.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Actually, it will be finished. There was an underwritter found who was willing to take it on. Dunno all the details, just heard about it at a friend's store.

But I agree, they were too long winded. I wanted it over with after the third book.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:25 pm

By the third book you feel kinda sad for Fitz, by the end of the Tawny Man saga on the other hand Robin Hobb finishes him quite nicely.

Willow not you too with Wheel of Time, granted I did like some of the characters (yes Matt was a hoot) I just think Robert Jordon has;
A. Too many characters
B. Will typically skip characters throughout in a book, not even mention the more popular ones.
C. Has no end in sight.
D. Has a habit of lacking climaxes throughout the length of the book with a single large climax at the end of it.
Sorry if I seem critical but after reading the 11th or 12th book (I can't remember which) not to mention spending $20 per book and not enjoying it kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel the same way with Terry Goodkind and his Sword of Truth series, I stand that the series end with Faith of the Fallen. Any books after this (and I did read Pillars of Creation and Naked Empire) are a complete waste. In my mind the Sword of Truth ended with Faith of The Fallen which I consider quite a good book.
Call me a synic but I don't believe he is doing the characters justice any more.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Heathcliff or Darcy?

Post by Sìle » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Samwise Gamgee (The Lord of the Rings) is one of my heroes - one who offers unending support and loyalty to his friend, leaving his own dreams for life behind in order to help Frodo on his qeust to save Middle Earth, and their kith and kin.

Nitta Sayuri (Memoirs of a Geisha) - a woman who rather than fight against the life fate dictates for her, she accepts her situation, moves with it, and, in the end, triumphs.

Granny Weatherwax (Discworld series) ~ she couldn't give two bits for what anyone else thinks of her. flyaway:

... I'm sure there are others, but, right now, I cannot think of them.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:20 pm

I never could get into any of the Jordan books. Just one of those authors I guess.

I like Heinlein, McCaffrey, Anthony and Asimov.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:06 am

LOL, people are passionate about Wheel of time books, in either direction.

Robert Jordan died two years ago from a rare blood disorder, but before he died he wrote the last chapter of the book. Brandon Sanderson (who wrote Elantirs and Mistborn) will be finishing the series and wrapping up all the plotlines (he has two WOT continuity experts working with him to make sure everything gets wrapped up). However, they estimated it could be done in 400 000 words, but it looks like it will be more around 750 000 words so there is speculation that it will be split into two (but sanderson and Jordan's wiow are trying to get both books released at the same time), so it will finish, there is an end already written.

But I know WOT is not for everyone, in my defense I grew up reading the Bible, I think it left me with a penchant for convoluted and inconsistant books :-"

And I never liked Sam I always loved Aragorn, LOL, he reminds me of Lan in the WOT (or vice versa) :badgrin: There is something really romantic about guys that will almost never exist in real life (sigh, I will probably never be rescued in a sword fight by my husband, morelikely he will use his lawyer skills to get me out of a tax charge, but I love him anyway :D, it just doesn't make for good epic novels )
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Arcanum Owl wrote:I feel the same way with Terry Goodkind and his Sword of Truth series, I stand that the series end with Faith of the Fallen. Any books after this (and I did read Pillars of Creation and Naked Empire) are a complete waste. In my mind the Sword of Truth ended with Faith of The Fallen which I consider quite a good book.
Call me a cynic but I don't believe he is doing the characters justice any more.
I agree completely with you, Arcanum Owl. Not that the Richard or any of the others were particularly well written characters to begin with (I still say that there must be two Kahlans, because there is no other way to explain her "I'll kick your ass" mentality in some books and her shrieking "Damsel in Distress" in some of the others), but it did have a great storyline. Now he seems to hit upon a single sentence that he feels is what the book is about and he then repeats that line or a version of it at least twice a page. I suppose I wouldn't mind so much if the "one line" was worth reading, but more and more he seems to be grasping at straws. Also the endings frustrate me, since he always wraps up everything in the same way... Richard saves the day, even though he's been a idiot through the rest of the book. I swear, that man is an idiot-savant... It's the only explanation that makes any sense.
Willow wrote::badgrin: There is something really romantic about guys that will almost never exist in real life (sigh, I will probably never be rescued in a sword fight by my husband, morelikely he will use his lawyer skills to get me out of a tax charge, but I love him anyway :D, it just doesn't make for good epic novels )

I also agree with you here, Willow. Although I could see my husband rescuing me with a sword... I guess it's a good reason to have a hubby who loves collecting interesting weapons! :axe:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:27 pm

ROFL Kitsune! You summed that up so well about Richard and Kahlan :lol: I have a sneaking suspicion in Pillars of the World that Terry Goodkind must of had mother issues or something ... Cause some of that stuff he was writing was just so out of place, it felt completely wrong.
Kitsune wrote:
Willow wrote::badgrin: There is something really romantic about guys that will almost never exist in real life (sigh, I will probably never be rescued in a sword fight by my husband, morelikely he will use his lawyer skills to get me out of a tax charge, but I love him anyway :D, it just doesn't make for good epic novels )

I also agree with you here, Willow. Although I could see my husband rescuing me with a sword... I guess it's a good reason to have a hubby who loves collecting interesting weapons! :axe:
Oh Willow, I definitely agree, although Arcanum would more than likely rescue me like Kitsune's hubby ... We have a small collection of sharp and pointy swords about the place ... Although, I don't think he could actually lift 2 of them properly to act all heroic like lol
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:57 pm

Remembering this series, I don't think I got all the way through book two...I got really really po'd at things in book one to the point where I almost didn't finish it...actually, it was book 3 that I couldn't finish. Threw the blasted thing across the wall with an exclamation of "That's crap!"

My friend was really into it...and couldn't understand why I could NOT stand the series. I think my response was "Because it doesn't make any blasted SENSE!"

And every one of my bf's, including my hubby, would be all knight-like and come to rescue me with a sharp, pointy, flashy weapon...if I didn't do the stupid %$$ in myself...there's an advantage to spending years playing a fantasy gypsy assassin.

Though, the one guy really almost tested that...tried to stage a "kidnapping" of me during a LARP event so that my interest of the time could "Rescue" me and get brownie points. Interest of the time said "Do you WANT beaten to a bloody pulp and risk that she lays hands on live steel? She's one of her realms founders, if she calls out for them once, you're toasted. That is, if she doesn't cream you herself!"
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:14 pm

There not dueling wielding swords! So what's the point in lifting both of them, and I don't own the huge 2-Handed Scottish Broadsword which we almost stuck into the ceiling. I like make British Cavalry sword, has a nice flare to it and if it's to heavy you can always bludgeon people with the metal sheath.

And Kitsune, I sooo agree with what you said about SoT, it's as if each book has new characters in them that just happened to have the same names as the previous books, they act that differently. He had a good idea "People are stupid" and really lost the plot.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:31 am

I liked Legolas in LOTR (Aragon as a close second). I usually like the poet guy in fiction and end up with the sword-wielder in real-life, metaphorically that is, it sounds like your SOs are actually using swords :-o :smt065 .
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:43 pm

Antaine has an English Bastard Sword that's almost as tall as he is...when he "Hassan CHOP"s with that thing, it rings...the echo of the strike. For laughs, he brought it down on a wooden shield core...over hand death-strike kind of thing...snapped the plywood core almost completely in half...and it's stage blunt.

And reading over this post, I just realized that I spent WAY too much time watching Looney Toons as a kid if the first descriptive phrase to come out is "Hassan CHOP!" (Unfortunately, the video I found doesn't have the line...but you can get the picture from it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFM8i6jJFOc)
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:48 pm

My husband has a katana/wakasashi set of swords, I own two Tessen (Fighting Fans), we both own bo-ken (that we do practice with on occasion - hopefully more often now that we have a backyard!), a machette, and numerous utility/survival knives scattered around the house. I'm hoping that we can actually get a wall display for at least the Tessen and the swords one day...

I have always had a soft spot for the "rogue who isn't" stereotype. Personally, my taste run wide, but they must be intelligent. If I can't pretend that I could chat with this guy for hours without thinking "Wow, he's a Moron", I give up on them.

For me, it's all about the mental stimulation! :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:39 pm

Kitsune wrote:My husband has a katana/wakasashi set of swords, I own two Tessen (Fighting Fans), we both own bo-ken (that we do practice with on occasion - hopefully more often now that we have a backyard!), a machette, and numerous utility/survival knives scattered around the house. I'm hoping that we can actually get a wall display for at least the Tessen and the swords one day...
Now you really made me jealous. I knew one store a long time ago that made katanas and other swords in the traditional manner, but with modern materials. The guy had spent years in Japan learning from master swordsmiths. There was a two year waiting list and the swords costs between $2000 - $5000. Still I think it would have been worth it. Unfortunately by the time I was able to return, it had moved or closed.

I would really like to get a set of fighting fans. What do they look like? How much do they cost? and depending on the looks and if they are affordable to me, could I get you to get me a set if I send you the money?

My arsenal? Let's take a look. A rather cheap katana/wakasashi set for costume appearances, but still sharp. A Thai peasant sword with carved teak wood pommel and scabbard. dual fighting swords. machete. 35lb recurve bow. quarterstaff. bullwhip. sjambok. short fighting spear. sais. throwing knives and climbing claws.
Kitsune wrote:I have always had a soft spot for the "rogue who isn't" stereotype. Personally, my taste run wide, but they must be intelligent. If I can't pretend that I could chat with this guy for hours without thinking "Wow, he's a Moron", I give up on them.

For me, it's all about the mental stimulation! :lol:
True but the "ruggedly handsome" doesn't hurt either right?

"Mental Stimulation" ... I don't suppose the phrase "off think ... off think ... off think" means anything to you?
(Hint: it's a joke that will be another 490 years in the making.)
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:28 am

Dark Waters wrote:I would really like to get a set of fighting fans. What do they look like? How much do they cost? and depending on the looks and if they are affordable to me, could I get you to get me a set if I send you the money?

"Mental Stimulation" ... I don't suppose the phrase "off think ... off think ... off think" means anything to you?
(Hint: it's a joke that will be another 490 years in the making.)
I'd love to buy you one, Dark Waters, unfortunately, I've only ever found one in Calgary. The rest, I've had to search for online, and even there, they are nearly impossible to find. I found the one I used in my wedding on Ebay. Not the highest quality materials though. I'm considering learning how to make them myself so that I can make the ones I want instead of endless searching. If I ever manage to start making them, I'll let you know. Perhaps then you could get what you were looking for as well!

As for the phrase... Unfortunately, I do not get the joke, although I get the feeling that I'll groan when you do explain it... #-o