Group or solitary?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.

Are you a solitary, or are you a part of a group?

I am a solitary (I observe major holidays in ritual by myself)
96%
I am a part of a coven/grove/group that holds regular rituals on the major holidays
4%
I am a part of a coven/grove/group that holds rituals, but I also perform my own personal rituals
No votes

Total votes: 23

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Group or solitary?

Post by Sìle » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:43 am

FyreGarnet wrote:Is that because there is drama in nearly all groups or that the magically inclined groups attract more drama?
The kind of drama to which I am referring is when they do ritual - its like a am dram play; acting rather than feeling. :-?

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Acting done right can increase the feeling in the ritual, much in the same way that you can watch a play and still feel involved. However it is a fine line between "feeling the vibe" and laughing at the people actually doing the ritual.

I can understand how over dramatizing it might feel highly unsettling. backoff: backoff: backoff:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sìle » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Kitsune wrote:I can understand how over dramatizing it might feel highly unsettling. backoff: backoff: backoff:
Wouldn't be an issue if they actually managed to achieve anything during ritual, but most don't. Everyone claims to have seen this, or felt that, but, in actuality, nothing has happened - its all wishful thinking. #-o

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:18 pm

To play devil's advocate here, Sile, how do you know they didn't experience it? Simply because you didn't? Is it possible that your feelings of disdain for the "theatre drama" or "over-dramatic" kept you from opening yourself enough to feel what they did? Or, because you weren't emotionally involved in the ritual/group working, you weren't as attuned to what they were raising/doing?

I never discount what anyone feels/sees/hears during any ritual or religious observance simply because I did not feel/see/hear the same thing.

That's almost as bad as saying b/c we don't have a book of scripture handed down from 2 millennia ago, we're not a valid religion.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!