Group or solitary?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.

Are you a solitary, or are you a part of a group?

I am a solitary (I observe major holidays in ritual by myself)
96%
I am a part of a coven/grove/group that holds regular rituals on the major holidays
4%
I am a part of a coven/grove/group that holds rituals, but I also perform my own personal rituals
No votes

Total votes: 23

lacielonestar
Level 1
Level 1

Group or solitary?

Post by lacielonestar » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:23 pm

Are you a part of a coven/circle/grove/group, or are you a solitary? Why? How did you find your group/partner?

I am struggling with this. When I began on this pagan path, I thought that it would be a solo endeavor. However, last year I joined a group that formed in my area. I attended the first ritual gathering and although I had to leave before the formal ritual was started, I felt so much more energy and it was the most intense and fulfilling ritual (I did a partial ritual before I left) that I have ever been a part of. It really touched me. Due to personal differences, I don't feel comfortable being a part of this group, but I can't get over how powerful that evening was for me. Maybe it was because we had a fire pit, which is normally missing from my solitary rituals (apartment, you know). But I am starting to think I would like a (at least) partner to practice/ do rituals with. However, I am sure that it will be difficult to find one since my practices don't involve drugs or alcohol (why I left the group I had originally joined). I am wondering also what other types of problems you all have run into trying to find a partner/group.

Thanks!
Last edited by lacielonestar on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Group or solitary?

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:34 pm

The effect of multiple people offering their energy to a spiritual matter (prayer, spell, etc) is known in I think every religion. Even Christianity has that whole, "When two or more people gather in My name" thing. Two people don't just amplify the energy by two - it multiplies many-fold!

I am solitary, but have since found my Goddesses, two very close friends who have similar goals as I do. We routinely meet to give readings and have some down time (girl time) and nurture each other, but this last time, we actually danced the Hokey Pokey, which evolved into a tribal dance around in a big circle. All that was missing was a bonfire, and lack of clothing! And we were completely comfortable with that idea. I have since put the word out that I'd like to do a formal ritual with them, as all three of us have similar but deliciously unique goals which involve saving the world (and being prosperous in the process). We're not a coven, but work energetically with each other all the time. That in mind, it took me years to find them, and it's still not an official thing (which works well with me: I don't want an official thing. They're just my Goddesses, two beautiful shining lights).

Keep up what you are doing - it took me ages to find like-minded people anywhere but this forum. Now, I'm surrounded by them. Good luck in your search :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:49 am

Personally, I do not believe in any organized religion, from the Catholic "Empire" to an organized coven.

I have, on a few occasions, joined my energy to my sisters-in-spirit to do workings. I have done an energy circle with them...where you basically send a ball of energy around through nearly clasped hands until it no longer resonates as the person who started the circle's energy, but becomes the groups energy. (We used that to feed the defenses of our apartment, and our one friend's house). I have done cleansings and blessings with my husband...but that's it. It's family work.

I class myself as a solitary because I tend to stick to low-key stuff that I do on my own, Divination, Meditation, Warding, Shielding, excetra. Since I rarely do rituals, and more rarely cast spells, I don't think it matters.

And I don't think that doing true drugs is proper working, but that's just MHO.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:56 am

I voted solitary, but I still go to church with my hubby and pray and meditate there so I guess I am part of a group too.

I think when you find kindred spirits it is great to work with them, but I sometimes question the ability of "Official" groups to not become hierarchical. At least in the church we go to they own up to the hierachy, it bothers me more when people claim everyone is equal withut acknowledging the many power imabalances in an organised group.

As for drugs and alcohal, I think if you find a group there should be no pressure for you to do stuff like that if it is not part of your personal path. If some people do it and there is no pressure fine, but as for anyone who derides the authenticity of your experience if you don't participate [-X .

Keep waiting and looking and you may find that the right group pops up or never does. You will know what is right for you eventually. You can also go to festivals or conferences a few times a year tog et a group ritual fix.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

ImMappaM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImMappaM » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:17 am

Namaste and Greetings

For many the question of solitary or group causes conflict. Groups can be restrictive and insist on a belief that you may not have come to yet but are very informative. Solitaries practice as they learn and believe which leads them in an eclectic mannor of practice. In other words they do what works for them sometimes with or without ritual attached.

I think that the important thing to remember is that these are spiritual decisions. And spirituality is a personal choice made about personal beliefs thru faith. It is your path to follow so make sure the decision is yours alone. After all we all have an opinion but we don't have to follow or walk someone elses path and aren't responsible for the end result.

I hope for you is that your spirit will lead you successfully where you need to be at any given moment.

Brightest Blessings in your journey.
~MappaM~
May your life not be measured by the breaths you take each moment but the moments that take your breath away.
Brightest Blessings
MappaM

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:46 am

Note for the mods: there's something strange with the poll feature. It used to be that if you voted, that was it...it didn't come back up, but I've noticed that every time I return to this post, it is available for me to vote again (Which I haven't done)...so I thought I'd mention something.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:37 am

I'll let the Librarian know :) Thanks! I'm seeing this, too o_O
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

lacielonestar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lacielonestar » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Sorry about the poll, that was me. I marked the checkbox that allows you to vote more than once. I thought it would allow posters to change their vote if they wanted to. I have edited my original post to correct this.

Thanks for your input, everyone. It's interesting to see what works for others.

Level 1
Level 1

Post by Top » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:59 pm

I have be practicing alone as its more in my comfort zone at the moment.
I have been looking to get together with a group to experience a larger scale ritual but i'm yet to find a group in the area that is open to men lol

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:47 am

I work alone now, except when we get together here and do some long distnce stuff.

My group was my family, which have all snuffed it now, and all the groupos in my particular tradition atre... should we say suffereing from testosterone poisoning, to be polite.

The only way to be REALLY happy in a group is to start it yourself, with one or two like minded friends. THEN, forget all this "democcracy" crap, if some one comes along you do not like, it is YOUR "home" YOU throw him/her out. BUT do NOT start acting like the very people that you started the group to get AWAY from.

It is a VERY precarious balancing act, but CAN be done.

Also, I do not really MISS a group. I have here when I need like minded company, and other than that, I do not have to answer to ANY one.

Yup, solo suits me better.

Virgo31
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Virgo31 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:32 pm

I am a solitary who is at the very beginning of my practice, though I have yet to feel that connection to the earth and to the Divine. I am little frustrated right now, I guess I should be more patient with myself. I am a solitary because I currently don't know anybody else locally who is either practicing Wicca or some form of Paganism. Right now it's just God and Goddess to keep things simple. Night. BTW Happy Winter Solistice ahead of time!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:07 am

Virgo31 wrote:I am a solitary who is at the very beginning of my practice, though I have yet to feel that connection to the earth and to the Divine. I am little frustrated right now, I guess I should be more patient with myself. I am a solitary because I currently don't know anybody else locally who is either practicing Wicca or some form of Paganism. Right now it's just God and Goddess to keep things simple. Night. BTW Happy Winter Solistice ahead of time!
Hello Virgo, and welcome to the boards. Don't worry it will all fall into place.

Remember as well, it is a very personal thing, if it works for you then it is right. Books and groups are only ever GUIDES, they are NOT THE LAW.

As to solctice, some celebrate today, so you are not ahead of time....well only a metter of a few hours HERE. :-D

But the REAL date is 11/01 this year. Nearest full moon AFTER 21/12.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:46 am

Welcome Virgo!

I think most of us have that problem. Many of us just don't know enough people who worship or practice the same way we do. When I first started out, I was lucky and was in a coven. It was a really bad experiance for me, personally, but at the same time, I would like to have a group to work with.

I have found that for me, I can work solitary or with a group. While I prefer to work alone (or with my husband), groups that work well together can be amazing.

I hope you'll put up more information about yourself, maybe introducing yourself in our Newbies forum, so that we can all give you a proper welcome!

And I will be celebrating Solstice today (my favourite holy day... most likely due to my close birthday). Thank you and Blessed Yule in Return. >:D<
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Group or solitary?

Post by Sìle » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:17 pm

lacielonestar wrote:Are you a part of a coven/circle/grove/group, or are you a solitary? Why? How did you find your group/partner?
I am now solitary, having sought out various groups and found them (or me) lacking. There are very few people I trust when it comes to ritual and/or magic, so I am probably best by myself. I do have one or two friends with whom I can work, if I want a "boost", but its a rare thing.

I still attended the odd open group ritual until last year, but they seem more like high drama to me these days, rather than anything worthwhile. :-#

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Is that because there is drama in nearly all groups or that the magically inclined groups attract more drama?

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown