Level 2

coven

Post by raventears » Tue May 27, 2008 2:02 pm

can there be a two person coven
jack skellington is my husband

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue May 27, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm not a Wiccan, so understand that this doesn't come from a Wiccan standpoint...

...but anyone can form a tight group which supports each other spiritually. I'm not hardcore on rules, but I'd say any number of people can make a coven, although that word is strange to me.

You may find, as you go along, others will join your circle, and others will leave. Life is in constant motion.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue May 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Well, from what I understand, and I'm not Wiccan either, a Coven is a formal gathering with a High Priest and Priestess. I think they usually try to keep a coven to Thirteen members. It's a hierarchical system that has everyone ranked according to some criteria...with the top being the High Priest/Priestess and the bottom being the people trying to join the coven...or those who JUST joined (Initiates?)

So, if you're just a few, without the structure, I don't think you'd be an "official" coven.

But, if that's the word that best describes your grouping to you...go for it.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

lacielonestar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lacielonestar » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:34 am

I would probably just call that a magickal partner. Three I might consider a circle, and four or more a coven. I don't know why. I'm a solitary and that's just my opinion. Although, why do you need to label yourselves?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:30 pm

That is a good question, but I think labels have power and can be used positively, just as well as negatively. I don't see a problem with labelling your group as a coven as long as it doesn't occur to the exclusion of other understnadings of the term.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Seawitch
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Aries

Re: coven

Post by Seawitch » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:58 am

raventears wrote:can there be a two person coven
A Coven is an initary group that pertains to Wicca, idealy 13 people of mixed gender, this is because it's a practical sort of number, however it isn't always like that and sometimes a few more will be there or rather less, a Coven could fall to two people or briefly start there as it forms but if it's to stay there by intent you just don't have a coven but a couple, even if both are 3rd degree initiates as those in the appointment of High Priest/Priestess are.