The Fountain

Television, radio, RSS, podcasting... Anything you can record and take with you that promotes Pagans.
Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

The Fountain

Post by Bandersnatch » Mon May 05, 2008 10:55 am

Did anyone see 'The Fountain'?

I was really surprised by it. It was definitely not what I thought it was going to be. I have to say the graphics were very impressive and the story really got to me. Of course I'm terrible at movies, I cry at Disney shows.

Titania
Level 1
Level 1

Re: The Fountain

Post by Titania » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:08 am

I saw it. Haven't really made up my mind if I liked it or not. It was a little strange and, at times, hard to follow. The graphics were very good, though.

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:49 am

Welcome Titania

Sorry I was not around when you introduced yourself but I was out rock hunting all week. I think you will really like this forum. They are a very friendly bunch with a great sense of humor.

Titania
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Titania » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:11 am

Thank you, Bandersnatch. So far so good. Hope the rock hunting went well. What were you looking for? Ren Fest in our area has a vendor that does gem mining. We always visit them. They get their quartz crystals themselves in Arkansas and they always have something neat to show. They've even given my daughter some interesting pieces. Of course, it helps that she's so cute and friendly.

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:03 am

Ah, Rock Hunting ...where do I start

We went into the foot hills of the Rocky Mountains, near a town called Pincher Creek, did some hiking in the area including down the Old Man River bank after the dam. The water has dropped after all the rain this spring and the pickings were good.

Lots of selenite crystals, amethyst and fossils. We found a nice big piece of ammonite and quite a few fossilized wood chucks. Just getting away from it all was really nice. There is also an older man in that area who is running his own rock museum and he has some beautiful stuff from all over the world. My SO has filled my china cabinet with geodes so he was in heaven at the museum.

Titania
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Titania » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:32 am

Sounds like fishing--it's not if you catch anything, it's about being there.

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:06 am

For sure. Its so beautiful in the foothills. We saw about 20 deer, lots of little critters, hawks, eagles and a badger. Its just nice to get away and appreciate what is all around us.

What is your favorite way to unwind?

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Personally, I think my favourite way to unwind changes ever so slightly on depending on the season. During the summer, I enjoy camping more than anything else... Sitting in front of the fire I feel I can commune with nature the way I was intended to...

During the winter on the other hand, Fire is still involved. I love curling up in front of a fireplace with a book in my hand, and a little music playing in the background. :-({|=

When the other two options are unavailable, 10-20 minutes spent in meditation with lit candles or a fountain of running water will do... And that leaves me highly relaxed.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Titania
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Titania » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 am

I like to fish and camp and just hang out with my daughter. She just turned 12 and I'd like to get her into meditation and yoga. She wants to start taking walks in the morning and I think it is a great way to start the day and be outside to clear our heads before we get on with the day.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:11 pm

Titiana, that's sweet about your daughter! My niece is 5, and begging me to teach her yoga. When she was three/four she would mimick my poses and do my sequences with me for about fifteen to twenty minutes. Yoga is a lot of fun to do with kids, especially sweet, chubby-limbed little toddlers! Also children your daughter's age, which is the age when second sight seems to wane.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Bandersnatch: Did anyone see 'The Fountain'?
I don't know if anyone has seen the fountain since this thread. I have and I thought it was a beautiful beautiful film, but strange. I didn't quite understand why he linked Catholic Conquistador's with what appeared to me to be a futurist Buddhist (or Eastern religion). I understood the references, I 'got' it, but I don't quite understand why he made those links. I had a similar feeling when I watched Darren Aronofsky's (the director) other film Pi, but I thought Pi's story was slightly better thought out. It was quite funny to come out of the cinema after watching The Fountain and eavesdrop on people complaining that they didn't have a clue what was going on! A great date film, when you try to figure it out over coffee afterwards!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:50 am

Hi Max,
My take on it was the reference that "The only way to eternal life is through God" and I think the various references to various religions was that while they may be different there are the same in the eternal life = God idea.

There are so many layers to that movie I am still trying to sort it all out but it was a beautiful love story and something to ponder when you have the time.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:02 am

Okay, I can see that, the only way to eternal life is God. So perhaps the Catholic conquistadors represent an archaic ceremonial religion, and the non-specific eastern religion of the spaceman could be a future anti-materialistic spiritual God. I wonder if that means our modern day God is science?
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:28 am

Yes, I agree. There seen to be many people looking to science to answer all those big questions now.

Specifically, I am reminded of a recent show - Stephen Hawking's Universe

He hopes to find out why we are all here through science. I really don't thing science can give anyone those answers but it might lead us to some interesting questions.