Hello from Oklahoma...

The first stop if you're just starting out or just don't know where to go.
chasingprisms
Level 1
Level 1

Hello from Oklahoma...

Post by chasingprisms » Sun May 06, 2007 8:22 am

Hello. My name is Jessica and I am a SAHM(stay at home mom) to my 9 month old DS(darling son). We (my DF and I) live in Oklahoma, and this truly is where we were meant to be. I just love the people here and the laid back life style. We are a very Earth friendly family... I breastfeed (no cans of formula in our trashcan!), cloth diaper (did you know it's estimated to take up to 200+ years for a disposable diaper to break down?), and baby wear (more cloth items, instead of plastic/metal strollers). I also participate in our biannual kids consignment sales to buy Connor's clothes and toys at, and resale them when he's no longer using them. I try to use towels instead of paper towels as often as possible and run our fan instead of the A/C.

I'm here(the forum) looking for guidance and understanding, as I'm starting at square one. I'm a spiritual person, but have no set path. My DF is Wiccan, and I so long to connect with him spiritually. However, my mind just doesn't comprehend magic at this point (as I wouldn't expect it to!!) and I'm thinking this (forum) is a good place to start.

Like I said we have a little boy, 9 months old, his name is Connor. I don't want him to grow up the way I did... passing from church to church with a single parent (hey, wasn't her fault), not knowing what or who God(s) was, with no spiritual influence. I want him to see nature on a daily basis, to soak up sunshine and life, and to leave Mother Earth in a better place than when he arrived.

We(DF and I) have found a church that we would like to try next Sunday, the Channing Unitarian Universalist Church (http://www.channinguuc.org/), in hopes of some togetherness with like minded folks.

So, yeah... that's me. :-D
~*Jessica*~ BFing, BWing, CDing, AP, SAHM to Connor and loving DF to Taylor.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun May 06, 2007 10:11 am

Welcome, please ask whatever questions you may have, and I hope we can answer them for you...

On the subject of magic, remember, some people never use magic and don't incorporate it into their spirituality. So just keep an open mind and keep searching. You'll find yourself on the path that's best for you sooner than you think.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

chasingprisms
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chasingprisms » Sun May 06, 2007 10:45 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :-) I hope it's soon, much sooner than I'm predicting. I also think you hit the nail on the head with the magic part. Not saying that I'm not open to it, but it's not something I can easily see myself ever doing. Just really looking for peace within myself.

Also wanted to ask if there were any other mommies here? :smt061

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun May 06, 2007 10:50 am

OH MY GODS YOUR SON IS ADORABLE!!!

I'm not a mommy, but I have been raising my niece for four years. Kids are so... PAGAN! She used to look up at the trees in awe, and still talks to people that others cannot see ^__^ She is a special child, and yours looks very special as well! What a sweet smile he has!!

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay. Read around a bit.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

chasingprisms
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chasingprisms » Sun May 06, 2007 12:32 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:OH MY GODS YOUR SON IS ADORABLE!!!

I'm not a mommy, but I have been raising my niece for four years. Kids are so... PAGAN! She used to look up at the trees in awe, and still talks to people that others cannot see ^__^ She is a special child, and yours looks very special as well! What a sweet smile he has!!

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay. Read around a bit.
Thank you. He's my handsome little sweetie, be on the look out for more pictures... and of course if you have oh, a few hours of free time you can check out his enormous Photobucket. :lol: Children are miracle's, aren't they? I saw your blog, Nia is it? She's a doll.

ETA: I like your first name. ;)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun May 06, 2007 6:44 pm

Oh ya she's a cutie. Nia short for Shania ^_^ WOW you have a huge cat! Your son is adorable in those pictures! I especially like the one where he has a little mohawk ^_^

Heh heh... Ya pretty cool first name eh? ;) I like yours too! :lol:
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Mon May 07, 2007 7:27 pm

Heya, welcome to the PL. Hope you find what you're looking for here :-D
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Tue May 08, 2007 7:02 am

I'd like to add a welcome and I concur your son is absolutely adorable. So now I'd like to invite you too sit back and enjoy the fire, Umm whos turn is it to Bar tend? we really need to hire a new bar tender, what happened to the last one?
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

chasingprisms
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chasingprisms » Tue May 08, 2007 12:10 pm

SageWolf wrote:I'd like to add a welcome and I concur your son is absolutely adorable. So now I'd like to invite you too sit back and enjoy the fire, Umm whos turn is it to Bar tend? we really need to hire a new bar tender, what happened to the last one?
Mojitos anyone? :lol:

At CHL's request, a little more about me... please excuse that some of this was taken from another board in which I belong to.

I was raised non-denom by my mother, we went to church occasionally, never became members anywhere, and never really stuck with it. She was single and struggling, I was too young to understand or care about faith. Fast-forward to high school... my best friend took me to church with her. I loved it, I def. felt a presence (of something, though now I'm not sure what), and I was even baptized at one point. #-o I involved myself heavily in the church attending camps and helping out. I think overall I was drawn to the kind people and welcoming faces/hearts, KWIM?

Went through a really hard time in HS and early college (still in college actually), dealt with a lot (I mean A LOT) of addictions, and def. had a falling out with my church. I had a really hard time understanding where I, an addict, fit in with the people (youth more specifically) at my church. I just don't believe all of the things that they wanted me to. I don't believe that God wrote the bible, I believe man did... and other things. I just didn't feel the connection I once did, and I left it at that.

I met DF (Taylor, AKA Desiderata20) shortly there after, and fell madly in love with my now best friend. DF is Wiccan and has been for quite some time now. Short history: his mother was also Wiccan and practiced in solitary. She passed away when he was 9 and DF never got the chance to ask her the many things he'd wondered about his faith. He studied on his own for years, and knows a ton. Way more than I can even begin to comprehend. I studied for a while, and even picked up The Spiral Dance a few times. I never managed to finish it, as once again addiction took it's toll.

So, now you're caught up to baby time. Got pregnant, quite doing drugs, and went on with my life... but something is missing. I don't consider myself a very spiritual person currently, but I so long for that feeling the first time I attended church in HS. It was so over powering, "God" I guess it was. I don't think I could ever call myself Christian again, but where does that leave me?

DF and I went to a... New Age shop I guess you could call it... the other day. We looked at books, charms, crystals, etc. And you know what? I was really interested. Picked up and flipped through a few ''parenting the pagan child'' books and I agreed with most of everything that was written in them. I came home and started reading books, looking online, etc. I found a board that I thought I was welcome at... although I quickly learned that I was mistaken. They weren't exactly nice, and it was pretty bad first impression to the Pagan/Wiccan/whatever else world.

Taylor welcomed me to join his board, and here I am. So, that's my spiritual history, how about more about me?

I LOVE photography. If we ever get a printer/scanner (hint, hint hunny ;) ) I'll scan some to show ya'll. I think I want to be a teacher, but not entirely sure on what I want to teach (be it a grade or a subject). I love being a stay at home mom, but it does get lonely sometimes, esp. when DF is working a close shift.

So... I'm not sure what else to say here... I'm interested in Reiki thanks the Jess' blog, but I honestly have no idea what it is. There is an upcoming meet up on it soon, but I'm not sure if I'd be welcome as I'm pretty uneducated about it. :cry: Also interested in growing my own herbs on my apartment balcony but I don't want critters of bugs eating them, or kids for that matter. Not sure how to safe guard against that. Hmm... and I'm really interested in all things womanly. :-D

Oh, we've started a family site if you'd like to keep up to date with us.
Last edited by chasingprisms on Tue May 08, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue May 08, 2007 1:03 pm

You have a very interesting history! The part about Reiki: Hey, go to the meet. EVERYONE starts out not knowing squat about Reiki, and many know nothing about energy healing. You'll be welcome; I can't see why you would not be. If you are not, well, they are not a good representation of Reiki, and you should search elsewhere.

As for the herbs: Herbs tend to have a very strong smell and taste, and thus really keep away pests by themselves. As long as you keep them watered and in plenty of sun, the only thing you'll have to worry about is moving them to bigger pots and the flock of happy fuzzy bees that frequent your balcony.
Last edited by Crazy Healer Lady on Wed May 09, 2007 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Healer Lady

Gaia Dragoncat
Level 1
Level 1

Okie Wiccan

Post by Gaia Dragoncat » Tue May 08, 2007 6:32 pm

Well you are the first other Oklahoman that I've met on here. So welcome!!! I live in SOKC. I am also a mommy. My daughter Gabrielle is a year and a half now. Your son is soooo cute!!! That consignment thing are you talking about Just Between Friends? I went there too. Some of there clothes are a little expensive but overall nice stuff. It looks like we have a lot in common as far as our history goes. I had a hard time with the churches I used to go to as well. Never been to a Unitarian one though. I guess I'm just a little iffy on trusting them again. But anyway I guess I probably talk to much. Just know your welcome here.
Blessed Be!

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Wed May 09, 2007 5:49 am

Welcome, I hope you find something useful here. Oh, and some helpful advice (yes, i know, you probably heard this many times, bear with me...), look into all religions. This includes all the major ones (christianity, hinduism, budism, jewism, etc), and some others (paganism (us!), satanism (yes, look into it, it's not as bad as you may think, although i found it wasn't for me...), etc). Try to keep an open mind on things.
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed May 09, 2007 7:12 am

Ah, and CHL expands her Reiki Reach even farther! :lol: ;)

CHL got me into Reiki and it was one of the best life choices I ever made.

It's a hard process healing yourself, but Reiki gives you the tools to begin a truely amazing life changing experience!

Definately look into it... You won't regret it! :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Wed May 09, 2007 8:45 am

Kitsune Honestly, If you reget something in your life then your not really living it, thats my motto anyway, I think you life your life your learning something, no matter what it is, I have no regrets in my life, because I've learned from them.

Anyway, chasingprisms, I agree with underlilith look into all religions, You don't have to study them in depth, just research them,

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things, and as for the other chat board, it sound to me like they were not pagan at all, or just to stuck on themselves.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri May 18, 2007 6:26 pm

I can't add much but I will say welcome. :-D
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me