Something funny happened at work yesterday

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Something funny happened at work yesterday

Post by fatale » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:58 am

One of our receptionists is Catholic. She's a nice older lady (little silly though) She asked if I already have Easter dresses for the girls and I said NO, and we don't need any, because we don't go to church!
She looked at me kinda surprised and asked why i don't go to church! I told her, because I am not christian.

Receptionist: You are not Christian?
Fatale: No, i'm not.
R. why not!
F. I believe in other things. Though, if my children would want to go to church, I'd let them go.
R. Why don't you find a nice church where you live?
F. i find most churches rather radical.
R. You could come to my church. You could meet many ppl at church.
F. I know, but they usually are too radical for me.

(other co-worker enters and the talk stops)

I know exactly what she thougth: This Fatale is such a nice girl, how can she not be Christian?!

Well, maybe it's not really funny! (though, it was when it happened)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:52 am

:lol: You know what I find strange? How some people can't understand that not everyone in the world is Christian!

Are girls supposed to have new dresses for Easter? I didn't know that was a tradition! Easter bonnets were what we used to do.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatale » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:56 am

Jescissa wrote:
Are girls supposed to have new dresses for Easter? I didn't know that was a tradition! Easter bonnets were what we used to do.
I guess so, let's have a "new dress for ostra rule" :D

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 am

Is that rule only for the younger ones, or can us big girls have new dresses too? :lol:
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatale » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:07 am

forgotten oceans wrote:Is that rule only for the younger ones, or can us big girls have new dresses too? :lol:
whatever "feels right" to you :lol:

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:22 am

Ostara dresses sound great :lol: Although I recently bought a new coat for spring, so I guess I have an Ostara coat instead!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:32 pm

So, do new shoes come with that new dress? I think the Gods would frown on new dress and old shoes..... :lol:

I think I'll hafta settle for those new jeans I got yesterday, and I'll color my old sneakers so they look new. :-D YAY!!! Coloring stuff! ;)
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:21 pm

Ostara is new beginnings, I'm sure a brand-new wardrobe is appropriate :lol: I wish I was able to kit myself out with brand new stuff all in the name of a festival...although it's probably a good thing we don't go overboard for our festivals. I don't know any Pagans/Heathens who go mad around Yule the way people go mad around Christmas!

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:53 pm

I'll be honest, I make a ritual out of eating those little marshmallow chickens. :lol: I even give them little names like, Stan of Better Prosperity, Mary of the Fertile Patio Plants, and so forth. It's actually a lot of fun! :lol:

I've never been a big fan of Yule, I don't like the cold so why should I be ecstatic about a holiday just for the cold? :-?

Jescissa, I don't go nuts with it, but it is nice to get something new, maybe not an entire closet, but a little something isn't gonna break the bank. ;)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:01 pm

I love Yule. Especially since every couple of years it's on my birthday.

I go insane over giving gifts during christmas and Yule gifts for Grimwell... does that count? :-? :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:58 pm

Fatale, I love that kind of blank incomprehension some people have :lol: I'm guilty of it myself sometimes.... like when people tell me that they've never seen Star Wars.
The thing I've never understood is when church-goers go to a plain hall type church. I feel, if you're going to go to church, you should go all out and go to a nice cathedral. I realise that the decorative aspects of gothic architecture aren't your average Christian's first thought when considering a church, but still :lol: seems a waste to go to church and miss out on the pretty, even if you are a puritan.

I like Yule. I've never been able to have a proper bonfire, maybe I'll get some pagans together this year and give it a go. Yule should definitely have a bonfire.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:09 am

Jescissa wrote::lol: You know what I find strange? How some people can't understand that not everyone in the world is Christian!
It's because their masters tell them so. It is a self defence mechanism.

Our very existence proves them, christians in general to be wrong and their masters to be both wrong and liars.

Therefore we undermine their authority, and weaken their grip on, what is obviously a very weak faith, in that it is so easy for them to feel that we are a threat.

If they were as strong as they say they are, if Heathenism/Paganism is as weak as they are told it is. We would be no threat.

Therefore they would not have to deny our existence.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:09 am

I had a guy who was convinced that in an hour he could convince anyone that there was a God.

I told him that people have been trying to convince me my whole life and that it was far harder to unconvince me (He gave me the old God is like the wind/gravity thing)

We never got new dr4esses for Easter...it seems like a very very odd question....
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatale » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:00 am

Windwalker wrote: :lol: I'm guilty of it myself sometimes.... like when people tell me that they've never seen Star Wars.
Oh man, you mean there are people out there who have not seen Star Wars! :eek:

when asked, I often use "the force" to explain my religious believes. It seems people can relate to it better, than to if i'd start talking about the goddess and nature and stuff ...

I love yule and ostra and very best samheim

Mod note. ENGLISH SPEAKING BOARDS REQUIRE POSTS TO BE WRITTEN IN ENGLISH. (Ragnar)

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:03 am

fatale wrote:
Windwalker wrote:
Oh man, you mean there are people out there who have not seen Star Wars! :eek:
There are indeed! I can't work out how it's possible. I've met two people who have never seen it. Even more surprisingly, only one is a Trekkie. (He refuses to watch them on the basis that they must be nothing in comparison to Star Trek. No comment.)
fatale wrote: when asked, I often use "the force" to explain my religious believes. It seems people can relate to it better, than to if i'd start talking about the goddess and nature and stuff ...
I use the Force to explain Magick too ^_^ it works as well as anything else. Although it does mean that I have to explain that there's not a "light" side and a "dark" side.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes