March Fundie of the Month

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

March Fundie of the Month

Post by Willow » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:38 am

I have been saving this little goodie for a while.

http://www.askmoses.com/

Pretty Innocuous right? Well this site is actually run by a group called the Lubavitchers (SP?). Anyway, they are Jewish fundamentalists who encourage the segregation of women and literal interpretations of the Torah. Look up some of the stuff they say about the position of women.

I went to this site just out of curiosity and I came across an archived conversation where a kid was asking the scholar if they should go to an aunts wedding who was marrying a non-Jew just to show support.

The scholar answered "If your aunt wanted to sacrifice her child to the fires of Molech, would you go then just to show support?" This is found in the Bible, Molech was a God to Whom people would apparently sacrifice their babies wile alive).

Anyway, I nominate this group, they are hard core proselytizers, and because their average family has about 8 kids, they will likely be the most populous form of Jews in the next 100 years.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Re: March Fundie of the Month

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:04 am

Willow wrote: they are hard core proselytizers,...
That's the first I have heard of this in judaism. Most of the "Traditional" jews I know even discourage prostelyzation, and "conversion".

Thats ALL we need, another group of door knockers. #-o

Last time any one came to my door saying "we are going to cut you off", it was a missunderstanding about the electric bill. Not an attempt at changing my religion. :-D

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:10 am

Oops, I should clarify, they proselytise to other Jews. My Bad!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:25 pm

I don't really mind if they keep it to themselves.

The treatment of women is another matter. But the couple of things I read in the link you gave, seemed pretty mild to some other desert peasent religions.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:59 pm

Yeah,
I guess since I have been interacting with them on and off for about two years now I am getting a little stressed.

It's the telling my Jewish friends that they aren't real Jews. Not letting women see their sons circumcised in a synagogue, losing friends who aren't supposed to associate with me anymore. that sort of thing.

And the Molech thing just ticked me off.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:37 pm

Why aren't women and men treated the same in Judaism?

In Torah, a woman has every obligation of a man, and a man every obligation of a woman.

Torah doesn't know of man and woman as separate beings. They are a single whole, whether they are cognizant of one another or not. Each act is performed once through a single body. A body that in our world may appear as two, but to the Torah is seen as one.

This is actually a statement of Rabbi Isaac Luria, the greatest of the kabbalists, known as Arizal. He explains that the man and woman are a single body--and that is how they are considered in Halachah, as well. So, for example, a woman also puts on tefillin--only that she puts them on with her male body. If everything is working right, that should be her husband.
what the hell is this?! did he just say that the man and the woman are the same person, so if the man puts on the tefillin than, technically, so is the woman?!

that's f*cked up.
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:32 am

Na. Just Rabbinical philosophy.

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:59 am

"if everything is working right..."

what the hell do they mean by that?! :smt013

grr

:edit: sorry, guys. sorry bout the swearing, too.
Last edited by Artemisblessed on Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:31 am

Ach, Erm....

AB, do you mind removing a few rrrrrrrrrrr's from that last post....please? Pretty please? I can't read the thread cos the formatting's screwed...
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:48 am

Same here. Removing about 100 of them should do. :-?

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:04 pm

Orthodox Judaism can be pretty darn scary...
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:48 pm

Are there no moderators around thjat can do something about thios bloody board.

Obviously the guilty party can not be bothered. :evil: :evil:

Weygold
Level 2
Level 2
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Weygold » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:55 pm

Ragnar wrote:Are there no moderators around thjat can do something about thios bloody board.

Obviously the guilty party can not be bothered. :evil: :evil:
You asked for it, but try not to let it go to your head. :lol:

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:40 am

Errr. O.K, We ran out of coffee again, and I have only just noticed.

Thanks. :roll:

Na, THAT'S better.

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:55 am

sorry, i just get so emotional when it comes to people telling me (well, not ME, but women) aren't good enough and the only way they will be good enough is to be part of a man.