Muslim Cartoons

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Muslim Cartoons

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:18 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com
/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060202.wgravenimage0202/BNStory/National/

Hey All,
just out of curiosity, how do you guys feel about the Muslim cartoons that were run in the Danish paper and the subsequent reactions and debate.

I have been asking myself if I would run a similar cartoon about any other religion. I would love to see other newspaper links to this article.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:41 am

I agree with what is said in the article - they are only proving the cartoons right by acting like a bunch of blood-thirsty, insane idiots and they are giving a bad name to ALL Muslims and helping the world see ALL Muslims as evil, which they are not :evil:

I don't throw a temper tantrum when they publish cartoons of drunk Irishmen, or cartoons of sneaky Russians, or cartoons of evil witches - all things that are part of my heritage and religious beliefs.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the blood thirsty kill everyone who isn't Muslim extremists don't even know what their own holy book truely says because most have been fed lies since childhood and many are illiterate and can't read it for themselves.

I predict that this snowballing insanity (all of it, not just from the cartoons) is going to bring down the human race or close to it. Hip hip hurray for organized hate - the extremists don't even deserve to be said to follow any religion other than the religion of hate, or any prophet other than the 'new' aspect of Muhammad that they have created with their unified and insane hatred.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:25 am

Stormy said:
I don't throw a temper tantrum when they publish cartoons of drunk Irishmen, or cartoons of sneaky Russians, or cartoons of evil witches - all things that are part of my heritage and religious beliefs.
I would not watch Gangs of New York because of the constant Irish bashing, but that's about the extent of it. I'd just be proving myself an Irish hot head if I threw a tantrum like these idiots.
“The protests in the Middle East have proven that the cartoonist was right,” said Tarek Fatah, a director of the Muslim Canadian Congress.

Haroon Siddiqui, the Toronto Star's editorial page editor emeritus, said invoking free speech was a “disingenuous” attempt to disguise outright Muslim-baiting and anti-Islamic sentiments.
It was very stupid to run that cartoon. Imagine the outrage if they'd put God in a KKK uniform burning a cross. There is no difference in my mind, but yes these people are proving the cartoon right and, I think, completely disgracing a beautiful religion. As Stormy said, these people are fed lies and, really, brainwashed.
Grr. Bomb the world. I'm sick of it now.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:44 am

It is a little scary, I am still forming an opinion on it, I think I will wait to see what happens but I think the violence is escalating.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com
/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060203.w2proph0203/BNStory/International/
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:14 am

I find it amusing that they made a cartoon about that. It shows people that all are equal and open to ridiculue.

I know that all heck is going to break loss from this. The ends dont justifie the means though, the violence that comes from this will not help improve the image of islam as a whole. Much less garner any more sypmathy for extremeists
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:40 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote: It was very stupid to run that cartoon. Imagine the outrage if they'd put God in a KKK uniform burning a cross.
But the christian/mulim god made EVERY THING, so he must have made the Klan as well. DON'T think of trying the "free will" thing on the discussion(:-D Ha, so, you thought I had forgotten THAT loophole.:-D)

That only means that their god denys responsibility, like a Philidelphia lawyer, by hiding behind words. The fact is, even if "free will" does come into effect, their god still has responsibility for their actions, because he is aiding and abeting the crime, by not doing anything to stop it. He also, by giving them the "free will" to comit crime, is guilty of conspiracy to commit.

A bank manager that "accidentaly leaves the doors open, when he goes home, is just as guilty of the resulting theft as those that did it.
Crazy Healer Lady wrote:There is no difference in my mind,...
There is one very big difference. EVEN the christians would not burn down Embassys, threaten death to whole nations, and they would get tired and want to go home after two hours of PROTESTING, let alone rioting. They would probably try to pray the editor to death.

As far as I am concerened the christians and muslims are all the same. In so far that NIETHER are deserving of trust or respect. :evil:

As to the free speech issue. As some of you will know I am on an "Intergration course" here. Where, after over half my family being German, me living here for seven years allready, my Wife being German, they decide to get my German papers, I must go on a six month course to learn how to be German. #-o

Na so. On this course I am AMAZED and shocked, at how little understanding the muslims on the course have of the concept of "press freedom" and "free speech". It was a subject that came up well before these cartoons (which are not even particularly good, or funny, by the way). They just have NO grasp WHATSOEVER of the concept. NONE.
Ask about what a "free press" means, and they look at you like you have asked them to decipher the ancient script on a piece of pre Shang dynasty porcelain. That is after six months of having it explained to them daily.

They are exacxtly the same over the concept of "democratic process" and "society". Which is rather more disturbing, considering Bushy babes idea of bringing the whole muslim world to Democratic ways.

As to whether the news papers should have had more concern over "hurting peoples feelings". It's O.K for muslims to blow people up in Tel aviv, London, New York and Madrid, to threaten Israel with anihilation, but it's not O.K for us to see a couple of cartoons, because of "hurt feelings"?????? :-? :-?

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:08 am

CHL, Gangs of New York is actually a very good movie, and there IS a point to all the "Irish-bashing," has to do with the historical time period the movie was set in, not because the movie's creator has something against Irish people. At that point in history "native Americans" really did use such ethnic slurs against immigrants coming over from Ireland, much the way many people today use racial and ethnic slurs to describe immigrants from Cuba, Haiti, and Mexico. I'm not saying it's right, but if they didn't do that in the movie, it certainly wouldn't be anywhere close to being a historically accurate movie. I'm part Irish too, btw. :-)
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:34 am

AhhH! Attacked from all sides!! ;) jk
CHL, Gangs of New York is actually a very good movie, and there IS a point to all the "Irish-bashing," has to do with the historical time period the movie was set in, not because the movie's creator has something against Irish people. At that point in history "native Americans" really did use such ethnic slurs against immigrants coming over from Ireland, much the way many people today use racial and ethnic slurs to describe immigrants from Cuba, Haiti, and Mexico. I'm not saying it's right, but if they didn't do that in the movie, it certainly wouldn't be anywhere close to being a historically accurate movie. I'm part Irish too, btw
I know it had a meaning to it. :lol: I wrote this for humour more than anything. (I'm quite familiar with the racial slurs of Native Americans, too, not only then but now.)
Really, though, I understand the need for the racial comments in the movie. I'm not daft, lol :-D (I mean that in the best way possible, madam.)

Ragnar, I am not going to support these idiots rioting and protesting over a stupid cartoon, but I still think that the outright slander of one's god publicly only feeds the racism going on in the States right now, and, frankly, do you think the States needs anything else to get them riled up about someone of a different colour?? Everyone laughs at racist jokes once in a while - I make a lot of Irish potato jokes - but choose your timing carefully.
But then again, don't go rioting about it.[/code]
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:58 am

Ohh, LMAO!! I thought you were being serious! Oops, sorry 'bout that! :oops:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:06 pm

Ragnar wrote:Na so. On this course I am AMAZED and shocked, at how little understanding the muslims on the course have of the concept of "press freedom" and "free speech". It was a subject that came up well before these cartoons (which are not even particularly good, or funny, by the way). They just have NO grasp WHATSOEVER of the concept. NONE.
Ask about what a "free press" means, and they look at you like you have asked them to decipher the ancient script on a piece of pre Shang dynasty porcelain. That is after six months of having it explained to them daily.

They are exacxtly the same over the concept of "democratic process" and "society". Which is rather more disturbing, considering Bushy babes idea of bringing the whole muslim world to Democratic ways.

As to whether the news papers should have had more concern over "hurting peoples feelings". It's O.K for muslims to blow people up in Tel aviv, London, New York and Madrid, to threaten Israel with anihilation, but it's not O.K for us to see a couple of cartoons, because of "hurt feelings"?????? :-? :-?
More so to do with the idea that they like some monotheistic religions think that theirs is the one and only true path and therefore everything is true. Not to mention their ban on all imagery pertaining to holy figures. Add to that percevied and real bad things that the west has done. And the extremists feel justified in what they do.

One thing that I am reasonably happy for is that Xians dont riote and burn stuff every time their dogma is made fun of..... Otherwise half the world would be burning constantly.

I had a strange thought about this all a while ago. So Xian's had their "puberty" session with the Crusades. What if all this chaos and such is Islam's "puberty?"

Worse yet, try explaining to any xian/muslin that their gods are the same and one will burn you at the stake while the other will blow up your town...... not fun
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:29 pm

Buuunch of (expletive removed here) -knuckles.

I've seen every kind of cartoon known to man denigrating people's beliefs, gods, political systems, race, age, style of clothing and choice of breakfast cereal. Boo-hoo.

Morons. I think people need to learn the meaning of "hypocrisy".

Of course, the first thing you do when someone generalises about your race and religion as being inherently violent is go out, destroy property and riot, causing someone's death.

Makes perfect sense to me. I couldn't care less about anyone else's religious beliefs right now, let alone argue/protest about anything, but I'll fight as hard as need be to protect freedom of speech.
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:38 pm

Same here

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:08 am

haven't seen the bloody cartoon. the paper talked about how bad and offensive it was and blah, blah, blah, but they didn't show it. i don't know what it said. #-o

as for all this, i think that free speech is best. if you want freedom of speech, don't complain when people say things you don't want to hear.

that's just a by-product.

how are you gonna blow people out of their homes at night and snipe and commit all these horrible war crimes, and then get your knickers in a knot over a cartoon?
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:42 am

Scoia wrote:
Makes perfect sense to me. I couldn't care less about anyone else's religious beliefs right now, let alone argue/protest about anything, but I'll fight as hard as need be to protect freedom of speech.
I actually forgot to put on a little disclaimer on my last post that I do not in any way think the cartoonists should be punished. It's my opinion that it was racist and stupid and just like throwing ladyfinger firecrackers in the zoo, but I'd much rather see racism than a loss of free speech.
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:30 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/
RTGAM.20060206.wproph0206/BNStory/International/home

I am getting scared, I would have hoped something like this would have died out by now
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)