Shamans of all Cultures

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!

Is it the responsibility of a Shaman to heal?

Yes
54%
No
8%
Only to help in whatever ways he/she is comfortable
15%
Only to undo the deeds of Shamans who do "bad" things
No votes
The only responsibility is to oneself
23%

Total votes: 13

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:36 am

On August 20th, Crazy Healer Lady asked:
What good is it to travel to the Other Realms and back with guidance if it is not used to heal?
That's a good question. I think for me a lot of it has to do with exploration & making contact with the unknown. That type of exploration seems to be the source of creative energy and ideas. The experience gathered from that type of contact also seems to make me stronger as a magical operator. Healing seems to follow these more direct aspects and seems to be intentional (read: optional). This may be reflected in the idea of the Boddhisatva -- the enlightened one who chooses out of compassion to come back and help other sentient beings. That Return to heal others is a choice.

I'm not sure I agree entirely with our Asatru contingent's definition as the exclusive view of what defines a Shaman. It seems too limited to a narrow range of culture, whereas the archetype of the Shaman is universal -- but for now I'll have to let it ride. It works as a definition to a large degree in a traditional sense, and I'm far from settled in my thinking of what more broadly would define a Shaman -- setting her/him apart from other magical operators.

Thanks again all for continuing on this very thought-provoking thread...

:smt096 :smt111 :smt096
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:57 pm

I like your views ^_____^
Not to say I don't like anyone else's, ha ha, but you know.
Somehow I find when I come on here I just can't make my mind form what I want. Usually the result of just waking up or fatigue from work lol

Anyway
Thanks to all who have replied to this ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:52 pm

Thanks Ragnar... and I tend to lean towards the older Nordic ways myself, as well as the older ways of their celtic cousins... like I said, I think it was mostly sematics on the actual "word" being used.

as to the comment on "why go to the otherworld/s to gain wisdom if not to come back and heal"... There are more kinds of knowledge than just healing and therefore, more reasons to seek. It really depends on the individual, their needs and beliefs. I may wish to find another way to protect, so I seek... I may wish to seek explanations for a vision, so I look... I may wish to speak with a spirit, so I go... there are many reasons besides just healing.

wassail
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com