wicca and satanism

All things wiccan...
Aaron
Level 1
Level 1

wicca and satanism

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:51 pm

Edited by Davisherm

I don't remember what the original post was. My appologies for not finding this one sooner.
Last edited by Aaron on Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every living thing on earth dies alone" D.D

"I think its kinda funny, I think its kinda sad These dreams in wich im dieing are the best i ever had." D.D

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:08 am

Actually, I did...before I was a witch, people in middle school called me a devil worshiper b/c I was hovering on the borderline of goth.

There are two ways to approach this. Well, three.
  • Deny it, though most of the time they won't believe you.

Educate them by not using words like "Wiccan" or "Witch"...just say that you follow the "Old Earth Religions" and the Pentacle is the symbol of the union of the Five Elements of LIfe. Some will believe you, others will insist you're a demon worshiper.

Play with them. This is how I got the bullies in Middle School away from me. One day, after trying to deny it and failing, my friend and I decided to see what they would do if we returned the shout of "DEVIL WORSHIPER" with "HAIL SATAN!". of course, the teasing stopped because they were terrified that we'd send our "Demon familiar" out to torture them. Gullible. NOw, mind you, option three is fun, but not the best way if you want to have a respectful repartee with these people. If they're just school idiots making your life miserable...go for it.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Aaron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aaron » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:38 am

Haha ill try to inform them but if that dosent work than ill do the thrid, that sounds fun but also mean but they are mean to me why not make them scared of me. hex: i also have another question once i get to the point of becomeing a witch in a cupple years, are male witches called witches or wizards? probly be witches but i was just wandering.

"I think its kinda funny, I think its kinda sad These dreams in wich im dieing are the best i ever had." D.D

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:09 pm

Most people in the pagan community don't like the word warlock, cuz it means oathbraker. However, I'm not sure about wizard. Me, like I said before, I will call you what you want to be called.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:36 pm

I've never heard the difference descirbed well, so I'm not sure if "witch" or "wizard" would be appropriate.

Good question...luckily, my Antaine perfers "Druid", since it better describes his spirituality, so I've never had to deal with said question.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Luciferish
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Luciferish » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:47 pm

Witch is not a gender biased term, Wizard is not "male witch", nor is "warlock", I know female warlocks.. and The only Wizards I have ever seen that claim the term head the KKK.

Ceremonial Magicians may use Wizard, but I doubt it, they would more likely prefer "Master" or "Magician". Sorcerer is yet another term sometimes used, but only for people who are more into power and presentation than reality.

I have been a Witch most of my life and Male for the duration, anyone who wants to use another term "Wiccan", Wiccae, Wicce or whatever doesn't bother me, just depends on how seriously they want to be taken. Someone who has only been running around the craft for a couple of years calling themselves "wizard" would make me think they read too much Harry Potter.
Even the devil's got a lawyer, would you like my card?

Est nullum problema tantum ut usu vis maximae idonei expediri non possit.

Aaron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aaron » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:42 pm

Thanks alot guys as i said ealer i just got into wicca, and im studing really hard because im so interested in it, thanks alot for clearing up the question i had earler. "Someone who has only been running around the craft for a couple of years calling themselves "wizard" would make me think they read too much Harry Potter." you have a good point there Luciferish thanks alot mates.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:58 pm

Umm, I don't even like the term "magician" because when I hear that word I think of some guy in a cape pulling a bunny out of his top hat.
Although it is a strictly a maculine word I perfer the term "magus" ( the ending makes it maculine). I dislike the term "witch" because the other slang meaning to this word similar to the "b" word; too derogatory. The term "wizard" makes me think of a ADn'D character.
We have enough 20th level wiccan warriors casting magic missle :roll:

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:49 am

But Magic missile is so much fun!

To address this subject however, I still don't know what to call myself. So i just use the blanket term "Pagan" and let them think what they will.

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:06 am

Up until about three years ago or so, I considered myself a spiritualist, but as my path has taken me closer and closer to wicca, I've taken to calling myself a witch. I've never really made a distinction between male and female. I'm a man and I'm a witch. I'm not a wizard, sorcerer, warlock , insert term here. I will say that I also don't like the term magician. It does have the connotation of being David Copperfield - a simple illusionist. And while illusions are sometimes pretty spectacular, it's not what we do. Except for rare instances, my magic isn't bold and flashy. It's generally something quiet and behind the scenes. Unless you're looking for it, or you happen to be ther when I do it, you don't know it's there.

Most of the fellow crafters I know consider themselves to be witches. I do know one magus. And I know one guy who refuses to call himself anything. "Why bother classifying myself? I know who I am and what I can do. If you want to call me a wizard, call me a wizard. If you want to call me a witch, call me a witch. If you want to call me for lunch, my number is..." he's an interesting guy.

And if anybody here can teach me how to cast magic missile, I'll give them 1000 gold pieces. I need to level up.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Maelroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Maelroth » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:55 pm

magic missle, pah! I need GUANO!!

Anybody know where to get some?

seriously, people need names or titles so they can more easily classify things they don't understand. You know who and what you are then let the rest of the world go on guessing. No matter what they call us you are still you and I am still me and we will always be there just to one side in the shadow going quietly about our own way.

Found my guano, now how does the rest of that dang fireball spell go?
oh yeah....DUCK!!! outtahere:
Not all who wander are lost-Tolkien

Religion is like a finger pointing to the moon, we must not get so involved in the finger that we forget where it points.

Maelroth B*B!

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

labels...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:23 am

Was that Bat or Bird Guano for that Fireball Spell? I've had an awfully hard time finding good quality Bat Guano these days....

Some orders call things one way, some another -- the LaVeyan Satanists are real big on the distinction between Warlock & Witch, with Wiccans it seems more leveled as Witch for either Gender. I'm thinking a Wizard must have a particular connotation to Druids (not certain there...). Mostly I've heard Sorceror only in terms of Black Magic. Magus & Magician seem more Golden Dawn, Thelemic terms... Of course you are right -- terms are just labels and in the long run do more to deny the individual's unique magical self than anything, but they are useful I suppose in denoting cadres.... Then there are all the various degrees etc. that individual orders confer...

I don't think you want to be running around shouting "Hail Satan!" at people though, if that isn't your schtick. Could get you in trouble...
:smt077 :angryfire: :snakeman:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:12 am

I got asked if I was a Satanist yesterday.

One of the women in the Med Board office noticed my ring and asked me what it was.

I told her it was a ring. :roll:

She specified the pentacle design on it and I explained that it was, in fact, a pentacle.

And she says in a slightly frightened voice, "You're not some kind of Satanist, are you?"

I looked at her for a moment. A long moment. And gently explained that, "No. I'm not a satanist. I'm Wiccan (not exactly true, but it's what the Army says, so hey, why not?) and this symbol is a representation of the five elements: Earth, Water, Fire, Air, and Spirit and it was around long before the satanists borrowed it for their own uses."

THEN she says, "So like, you don't believe in God?"

I gave her another long look. And said, "Actually, I do. I believe in God and the Goddess. They're both part of the Devine. I feel more close to the Goddess, but that's just me."

She gave me a few weird looks and took my medical records from me and I left.

Kind of anti-climactic. I should have been expecting to get this type of reaction long before now. After all, I am in Georgia.

Ah well, I don't think I convinced her that Wiccans aren't devil worshipers, but at least I laid the seed.

Blessed Be.

And incidentally, I think that Bat Guano works the best.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Re: labels...

Post by katsu » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:11 am

dragonflydrummer wrote:Was that Bat or Bird Guano for that Fireball Spell? I've had an awfully hard time finding good quality Bat Guano these days....
It's Bat...but try using a glass rod and a piece of cloth.(Lightning is soooooo much more fun).
But, to the point: There are a few common points between Satanism and Wicca/Withchcraft/Pagan(in general). The Penagram, Pentacle. Belief in something other than the Monotheïstic views. Magick.

There are differences also: we believe in our Lord and Lady, they believe in themselves. To me it matters not. However the uneducated public will rarely see such a difference.(see Davish' post)
/|\

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:09 pm

Ok well I'm not really sure what to call myself, really, as I have never performed magick of any kind, yet intend to. But I know that I'm a very ecclectic wiccan, but do prefer the word wiccan. However, there are names that I've thought about besides witch. One being magess. Now I'm not sure if it is already a word I picked up and it stuck, or if it is something I created. But to me it is the feminine of mage. Also, there is magickan. Now that one has the K in there specifically because I pronounce it like the word magick with the "an" added on. Meaning it is different from the regular magician like the illusionists. It makes it more stiff, I suppose, with the k sound in there.

Anyway, those are my two names that have stuck with me.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown