Solstaces on the Equator?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Solstaces on the Equator?

Post by Hytegia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:18 pm

So guys...
At my current location, how can i properly celebrate the Solstace in a country where the climate never changes but maybe a couple of degrees?
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Solstaces on the Equator?

Post by Librarian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Isn't the devil in the details? Btw, I'm in SoCal, so I just lookup an astronomy calendar.
-----
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weygold
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gweygold
Home: http://www.weygold.com/

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:30 am

with a cool drink and a lay in the sun! Assuming you're somewhere warm. In which case I am scathingly jealous.

Joking aside, I agree with the Lib. Details! What's holding you back from celebrating as you normally do? The wheel still turns, still divides the wheel and reminds us that life is ever changing and we have our own cycles and rythms.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:with a cool drink and a lay in the sun! Assuming you're somewhere warm. In which case I am scathingly jealous.

Joking aside, I agree with the Lib. Details! What's holding you back from celebrating as you normally do? The wheel still turns, still divides the wheel and reminds us that life is ever changing and we have our own cycles and rythms.
It's just the fact that there's little-to-no change in seasons here. It would seem a little - well, out of place for the location?
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:49 pm

Celebration is very personal, so it really depends. Personally, I'd be celebrating the gods/goddesses associated with the holiday, as well as abundance, reminders of the cycle, and love and joy. How do you normally celebrate?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Remember, it's not that they don't have the different seasons... it's that their change in the Seasons isn't as vibrantly different as you're used to. To truly make it a memorable Celebration, may I suggest that you hold a ritual asking to learn about the seasons where you are. follow this up by talking to the people there about their seasons. One thing most people are willing to talk about is the weather. An honest question of "Compared to where I grew up, this place never seems to change" will probably get you a laugh and a good conversation on how the weather changes from season to season.

Take the chance to learn about our Mother's Earth in a way most of us don't get a chance to... from her in all the different areas you visit.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Kitsune has a point. I grew up in the south and spent a decade in Florida. The seasonal changes are there, but are extremely subtle. I agree it sucks compared to lush hills and woods, but to each there own. The changes are there, you just need to look deeper to find them ;)
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:30 pm

I have to agree Rune and Kitsune. Even here in Australia, where we are in Queensland (north eastern state) the most change in season you see here is all in the temperature, and even then, it's not so much. I still celebrate my solstice's and equinox's as the cycles go around the wheel, but in comparison to those who get the snow in winter, red leaves everywhere in autumn, it all looks pretty much the same all year round here. Just a matter of finding out what the subtle changes are in the area you're in (be it temperature, weather patterns etc etc) and then making your celebrations suit your personal style :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~