Asatru (Norse Paganism)

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Asatru (Norse Paganism)

Post by underlilith » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:13 am

So i finally got to be able to buy books now (was living with parents before but now i'm on my own in the big scary USMC lol). So going through these books, making notes and redoing what's probably my 8th or 9th book of shadows (the others had to be destroyed because of the parents), i got to thinking about my path. I knew i was pagan... but what kind? and try explaining "pagan" to a friend who's christian and has no idea what your talking about 0_0.

So i thought about it, and i knew i wasn't Wiccan, i'm not shamanic, not druidic, greek was pretty cool, but that didn't seem right... so then i ran across Norse Paganism/Asatru. I'm not an expert on it, but from what i understand it originated from ancient germanic tribes, which was a plus because my ancestry is german. So, my question is could someone provide me with a good list of "grade A" references (books, sites, etc.) on Asatru/Norse Paganism. Any related topic (such as runes) is encouraged to be on the list as well.

the only reason why i say "grade A" is because we all know how some references can be a load of [enter choice word here]. And that they only write for money. So, it's the ones with the actual information, lots of it, and not a lot of fluff please!
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Maelroth
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Asatru (Norse Paganism)

Post by Maelroth » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:55 am

If we could get Runewolf to make an appearance he would be the one to ask.
Not all who wander are lost-Tolkien

Religion is like a finger pointing to the moon, we must not get so involved in the finger that we forget where it points.

Maelroth B*B!

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Sadly, our dear Runewulf is awful busy, so I don't think we can expect a drop in from him any time soon :-( However, if you have trouble finding books over the next little while, let me know, and I'll drop Rune a line and see what he says. Happy book hunting!!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

socialgreen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by socialgreen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:29 pm

At the Whispering Lake Grove there are times when a Nordic ritual is done when there is a lack of a Celtic one. It is an ADF ritual but I really could not say how close it would be to Asatru. Our Arch Druid is into Asatru and and is very learned in Irish Celtic myths and legends. I envy his public speaking abilities. :-(
social
If more of us valued food and cheer and song
above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi underlilith. Here's an excellent resource for Asatru;
http://www.asatrulore.org/hmportal.php

I'd reccommend looking and reading a lot there. They are a very well informed group and they take an in-depth look at the ancient heathen ways. They don't like fluff of any kind. Any statements have to be well supported or the writer gets called on it. They recomend reading much and posting little. For myself I learn something new everytime I log on.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:09 pm

Maelroth wrote:If we could get Runewolf to make an appearance he would be the one to ask.
Quite. But...There HAPPENS to be more than the ONE around these parts THANK you. :evil:

For books;

Thorsson. E
Northern magic. Llewellyn world wide Ltd 1993

Futhark; A hand book of Rune magic. Aquarian 1985

Runelore. Weiser 1988.

Also by Thorsson;

At the well of wyrd. Not sure of year or publisher, but PROBABLY Weiser

Also try

http://www.odinic-rite.org/

http://www.aswynn.co.uk/

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sìle » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:35 pm

"Aspects of Anglo-Saxon Magic" by Bill Griffiths
"Gods and Myths of Northern Europe" by Hilda Ellis Davidson
"The Lost Beliefs of Northern Europe" by Hilda Ellis Davidson
"The Northern Tradition" by Pete Jennings
"The Poetic Edda"
"The Prose Edda: Tales from Norse Mythology" by S Sturluson
"The Way of Wyrd" by Brian Bates
"Understanding Wyrd: The Norns and the Tree - An Introduction to the cosmology of Northern Europe spiritual practice" by Jenny Blain
"Wights and Ancestors" by Jenny Blain

Also, the wonderful resource that is Northvegr.

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Oui, best not to forget Ragnar, he bites ;) lol

Seriously, Ragnar is on the money with the books. There are several other good ones as well, but there are more than a few bad ones too. Also, asatru ain't the only flavor of Nordic practice. Personally, I follow the more shamanic path of the vitki and *gasp* warlock, lol multiple meanings there folks, in the Nordic paths, it means one who both moves with the natural world, but also bends it to suit their needs. There are several other variants from inland reconstructionists, to many variations of heathens, to odinists, Norse flavored Wicca, seidr, galdor, hexencrafte is a derivative. There are many more. I am theoretically taking some time off. I will write up some stuff on this topic.

Wassail
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Hytegia » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:09 pm

You could try to make it a point to read up on Norse Mythology manually -
it doesn't matter what you call it, the backbone mythology books stay the same reguardless. But Norse Mythology is quite fascinating since it's in a linear order (it's being told by Odin, IMHO) where no definate beginning or end is given, nor a break in the middle.
It starts off at the beginning and goes all the way, in a linear story, to the end of time and the death of the Gods without a break for today (because Odin sees all, why leave a break in the story?) and is told almost in present-sense as if the world had ended as the story was being told.

I digress once more- *sigh*

It's fascinating though. You should be able to find books about Norse Mythology in your local library.
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:07 pm

You have a point, but you're a bit off on two counts there. First, the thought that all of Norse mythology was based on that one cycle (the linear story you referenced), the poetic Edda, which includes the havamal, i.e. Odhin lecturing and telling tales, two things he's quite good at :badgrin:

Problem number the two, Norse mythology is NOT linear. If you study the culture, you'll find they don't have quite the normal concept of past, present and future either. It's a bit more experiential. Also, they don't have quite a fixed focus on fate. Some things are wyrd, but a person makes their own way. The peptic Edda, while a wonderful cornerstone, was con piled by a scholar from many sources. Old Snorri made it linear.

You're right though, read the eddas and other Norse mythology books, much of the lore is there, and even more important, the mindset and cultural references. The psychopomp 8-)
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:46 pm

Sìle wrote:"Aspects of Anglo-Saxon Magic" by Bill Griffiths
"Gods and Myths of Northern Europe" by Hilda Ellis Davidson
"The Lost Beliefs of Northern Europe" by Hilda Ellis Davidson
"The Northern Tradition" by Pete Jennings
"The Poetic Edda"
"The Prose Edda: Tales from Norse Mythology" by S Sturluson
"The Way of Wyrd" by Brian Bates
"Understanding Wyrd: The Norns and the Tree - An Introduction to the cosmology of Northern Europe spiritual practice" by Jenny Blain
"Wights and Ancestors" by Jenny Blain

Also, the wonderful resource that is Northvegr.
Just noticed this and now probably will never get a reply. But my guess is you are a member of "The circle of Ostara", off shoot of "The Odinnic rite". To within one or to differences, that was the book list they gave me as well.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Hytegia wrote: (it's being told by Odin, IMHO) where no definate beginning or end is given, nor a break in the middle.
It starts off at the beginning and goes all the way, in a linear story, to the end of time and the death of the Gods without a break for today (because Odin sees all, why leave a break in the story?) and is told almost in present-sense as if the world had ended as the story was being told.
Except Odinn, as an entity, does not exist. There IS no "Odinn".