My Brother-in-law

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Ragnar

My Brother-in-law

Post by Ragnar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:19 am

Jens. I just recieved a telephone call from the Auntie that brought up my Wife, and her Brother and Sister.

Early this morning, my Brother-in-law was found dead, after, we assume, an epoleptic fit.

Best Brother I ever had, and I have had a few.

May Frigga and Fulla keep him safe.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: My Brother-in-law

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:08 am

I'm so sorry. Our prayers are with you and your family right now. @};--
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:29 am

Thanks lass.

It is now confirmed, it was an epoleptic fit.

I searched his bedroom, and there were no sign of his tablets, and his doctor confirmed he had not renewed the perscrition for about three months.

Hw was always the same, "I have not had a fit for "X amount of time", so I do not need the tablets.

Damn fool. (Great guy, just the same).

And any of you that have similar, please take note!!DO WHAT THE DOCTOR SAIS!

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:12 am

:GHug: :GHug: To the whole family.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:43 am

Thoughts and prayers with your family.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks all.

I just worry about the Auntie. She is no longer so young, and this has really taken it out of her.

Jens I think, can look after himself, where ever he is. "With a little help from his friends".

Now is the time to make sure the Auntie stays "on top of it".

Lisa is staying there for a couple of nights. But eventualy, she, the Auntie, must stay alone.

LUCKILY, she is in an old "Berlin Villa". One of the oldest in Berlin, and she has her Brother and Sister -in-law on the ground floor. We are literaly 15 minutes away if she needs us. So, fingers crossed, after a few months, .....na, you all know what I mean.

It is still early days.

The week after next we are SUPPOSED to be "fighting the French". The Prussian, Dutch, Saxon, and even the French (!) artillery have said they will fire a 18 gun salute (Civilian. 21 is for military personel) at Bourtange (Holland) the weekend 30/04 to 01/05. The funeral is 28/04. I really do not know if Lisa and I can make it now. We will have to wait and see. But I know ONE thing, if we put off the trip, Jens would kick us RIGHT over the cannon.

Hopefully Lisas Sister can stay over that weekend, and we can go and take part in the salute.

Na. I am rambling, and possibly not making much sense.

But HEY! I am allowed a few days "grace"(?) ;)

Na. It feels better for talking about it.

I thank you all for your thoughts. :hug:

Ragnar.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:28 am

Well, let Auntie know that all your friends wish her the best and that they honor your Brother where ever he may be now.
It may help her to know that so many people care for her and your family and sympathize with the loss you all feel.

Best Wishes and Blessings.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 am

Dark Waters wrote:Well, let Auntie know that all your friends wish her the best and that they honor your Brother where ever he may be now.
It may help her to know that so many people care for her and your family and sympathize with the loss you all feel.

Best Wishes and Blessings.
Thanks! And I WILL do. when she is.....recovered.

Strange thing is, I now know what the totem is that took him on his journey.

Yesterday TOTALY unusual for Berlin, I saw a Raven. It landed on a birch tree in our garden.

Now all of you will know, that totems "talk to you". I KNEW it was saying SOMETHING. I could KICK myself for not hearing it properly.

But I really think it would have made no difference. I just know that MY totem (ONE of them) is leading him to where ever he is going.

And that makes it 100% "better" for me, to know that.

An intersting study about totems. I must think about it.

O.K. Now lets think about the "living". I KNOW Jens is safe. :-D

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Good goddess ... Sorry for coming to this so late!

My thoughts and blessings are with you all :hug:
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:26 pm

I'm sorry for not being here earlier on this either. My blessings and sympathies to you and yours. It's always hard to lose those you love.

Grim's Mom tends to do the same thing with her meds, the only upside being that she "only" has severe personality disorders... So we have a bit more time to keep an eye on her before things start to go wonky.

I'm glad that the Goddess sent you a sign... It's always a blessing.

I hope you and Lisa are able to go for your trip. There is very little that heals wounds faster than seeing your loved ones honoured properly.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Hay, you two. No problems. Better late than never. :-D

Na. It is becoming a little better now.

The next step is to survive the funeral. But there are so many family and friend coming, that we wil have as muc support as we can handle.

The BIGGEST step will be deciding what to do with his property.

I presume, although it is too early to talk to his Auntie and Sisters about it, that I will inherit his Tamiya/Revell model helicopter collection.

Point is, Lisa and I have just have NOT got the space for 50+ plastic helicopters and 100+ fire appliances (Fire engines).

BUT I really can NOT bring myself to simply "throw them in the trash". They ARE him. They are what he WAS, a model builder.

To "get rid of them" is to me, as if I am throwing out everything he held dear.

THAT will be the crunch point.

I DO however, have my beady eyes FIRMLY fixed on his camera and collection of lenses. As the only other "photographer" in the family..... :roll:

Just a pity that, at this point in the history of computing, he chose to spend upwards of 2,000 Euro on FILM cameras(!) And only a year or two back.

They are now worth, literaly, about 200 Euro. WHEN yu are lucky and can sell them privately. M idea is to try and part exchange the kit for a digital camera.

Does any one know if the lenses from a film camera can be used on a digital? (Given that the fittings are the same)

Oh. And I have landed with the family "speech".

I have decided I will use one of the quotes from the Havamal;

"Cattle die. Kinsmen die. But the good name of a man NEVER dies". I have just got to think how to "introduce" it.

Ragnar.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:34 am

For the helicopters and fire engines, is there a museum or other organization that would be ecstatic for such a donation? That way they would be perhaps on display for all to enjoy.

I'm sure you will be wonderful with the speech :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 am

IF they were "museum quality" then yes. But he was not what you would call "a perfect model maker".

They are good enough, but....they really are not "museum quality"

I really think the best bet is to leave them where they are for a while. Then decide. Tati (A "childrens name" for the Auntie) does not need the "extra room". So it will be no hardship.

I did think of a childrens home. But you all know/can imagine how many small parts these things have, and the propensity of children to try and eat ANYTHING that does not immediately try and run away.

I WILL take a few of them, and ALL the fire appliances into my care. The others....

Na. Thanks to you all. It IS becoming a little easier to accept now. And you have all helped. ;)

We have been ORDERED by Tati (The Aunt again) to attend Bourtange.
I have been told that for the day I am "Gun Capitain".

So. 21 cannon, from the Prussian, Dutch, British, Belgian and French artillery, and the GODS only know how many muskets and pistols.

It ALSO happene to be the Queens birthday! (Queen of Holland, that is).

This volcano ash cloud will have NOTHING on the gun smoke over Holland that night! :lol:

I am only glad that the Poles and the Russians will not be there. No offence meant to them. But I seriously do NOT think I could take THAT much vodka AND be Gun Capitain. #-o

Ragnar.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 am

While they may not be of "Museum" quality - if they are good - why not donate them to your local equivalents of Fire Stations, especially if they have the same type of trucks as the models, and more especially if they have the same station number.

That your Brother chose helicopters and fire engines as his principal models must have meant he had a love of both. I am sure they would be proud to display a donation in his name, moreso if you also gave it to them on a shelf or shadowbox.

You may not find homes for all of them, but it could reduce the bulk somewhat. For the helicopters, perhaps local airstrips could serve similar purpose.

Just suggestions for the future, since as you say it is not an immediate concern, and it may be too soon for you and Auntie.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:41 pm

Well, I am going to have the fire appliances. And two or three of the helicopters. I can find room for them. The rest we are goint to pack, VERY crefully and put into the attic for now. Then may be next year or so, we can decide what to do, when we have more clear heads. ;)

Ragnar.