Mad as spring hares.

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Ragnar

Mad as spring hares.

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:31 am

You can tell when it is spring, the idiots come out of the woodwork!
Vicar bans 'anti-Christian' exercise class Tai Chi from church hall

As far as the pensioners were concerned, their weekly Tai Chi classes in the church hall simply helped them to relax and do some gentle exercise.

But the vicar and senior members of the church community saw a more sinister side to the popular £2 a time lunchtime sessions.

They decided the ancient martial art, with its roots in the Chinese Taoist philosophy, was incompatible with Christianity and should not be tolerated.

So the Rev David Rhodes told the group of around 20 regulars who attended the classes at the All Saints Church Hall in the South Yorkshire village of Totley that they were banned and must find an alternative venue.

Needless to say, the decision has brought ridicule upon the vicar and his church 'elders' who have been condemned as 'bigots'.

Pat Parkin, 74, said : 'We are not anti-Christs, we're just a group of mainly older women trying to keep fit and healthy.

'I find it absolutely astonishing that we should be banned as anti-Christian. We are not learning anything about any Eastern religion or philosophy.

'It is just about calm , gentle movements and breathing. I have had a stroke so this is perfect for helping me with my balance.

'I don't know if the vicar thinks we are learning kung fu or martial arts and are training to kill people but we're just trying to keep healthy as we get older - what's anti-Christian about that?'

One class member Betty Warwick, who is in her 80s, said the vicar told them Tai Chi was a 'spiritual exercise which was anti -Christian.'

She said:'This all seems so petty. There's nothing anti Christian about it, it's all about keeping calm and breathing and trying to keep fit.It has caused a lot of upset.

'I can't understand it, we are living in the 21st century. I am a Christian but this isn't a Christian attitude at all, stopping us from using the church hall just for doing some gentle exercise.

'We are not doing anybody any harm at all. Now we will have to decide if we are going to keep going.'

Tai Chi combines deep breathing and concentration with slow, controlled movements aimed at developing strength, balance and calm. It is beneficial to the joints and works the muscles gently.

The hour-long sessions have been running for five months and were organised by Sheffield Council as part of its health promotion programme.The Totley class started at the local Conservative Club but switched to the bigger church hall venue.

Jennie Street, a community leader, who rang the vicar to protest, said:'The bigotry is appalling. Some of the older people were very upset about it. They say they're just doing exercises and being healthy, it's got nothing to do with religion.

'All Saints' has recently asked the local residents' association for financial support to help refurbish the church hall on the grounds that it is open to all. But it seems a cheek to be asking for help and then throwing people out.'

But the Rev Rhodes has remained defiant. He said:'Within the the church we see Tai Chi as being an aspect of the Taoist religion. We want to promote a whole life spirituality which centres on following Jesus and nd we feel that the two things clash.

'Our understanding is that the basis of Tai Chi is in Eastern religion and from the church's point of view that isn't something that we want to be involved in.

'Had we known that is what was intended, we wouldn't have taken the booking in the first place. Our first priority is to seek to be consistent with the Christian faith as we understand it.

'This is not my own personal decision. It's something the church leadership team has considered. We feel very upset at the upset it has caused.'

Ronnie Robinson, spokesman for the Tai Chi Union for Great Britain, said:'These little old ladies in the church hall will have no knowledge or concern about Taoism or anything like that.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hall.html
HERE is the bit that made my slap my face and headbut the dask;

'spiritual exercise which was anti -Christian.'

And pray, DO tell Mr Vicar, WHAT, if not a "spritual exercise" is the comunion, or praying (preying? hard to tell with Vicars), or singing hymnes, or babtism, or...or?

Is this fool telling us that the Exercising of spirituality is non christian? :-? :?:

(Swedish/Norwegian; Vikar = Idiot. TRUE!)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Mad as spring hares.

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:21 am

Ragnar, didn't you know??!! Taoist Tai Chi practitioners lure the souls of children to Hell and turn our boys GAY!!
Ragnar wrote:Swedish/Norwegian; Vikar = Idiot. TRUE!)
I had no idea! But it makes sense. I wonder if that was intentional :roll: Something akin to the story of how Canada got its name?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:46 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:
Ragnar wrote:Swedish/Norwegian; Vikar = Idiot. TRUE!)
I had no idea! But it makes sense. I wonder if that was intentional :roll: Something akin to the story of how Canada got its name?
I always think, but can not prove, that it is one of those VERY rare Scandinavian jokes, that the Anglo Saxons were "given" the word and application.

Yopu know the kind of pub where they just TOTALY take the urine out of the newby? REAL Wiking humour.

Do please tell about Canada.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Silly silly people. :-) (I love those kinds of language jokes).
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Ragnar wrote:Do please tell about Canada.
"Canada got its name by mistake. When Jaques Cartier, a French explorer, came to the new world (around where Nova Scotia is today) they met with local Natives who invited them to their 'kanata' or village. The Jesuit priest with Cartier's party (who was supposed to be translating) misunderstood the native's meaning and told Cartier the name of the country was "Kanata" or Canada. " Link
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:16 pm

Aha. Not heard that beore CHL. I have heard similar for Massachusetts.

Whoever it was that first settled asked one of his slaves what he should call it and the slave said Massa choose its, and so Massachusetts was named.

Although I don't particularly believe it much. ;)

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Sorry Ragnar,

State was named after the Massachusett tribe of Native Americans (subgroup of the Algonquian family of peoples) who lived around the bay. Alternate forms are Moswetuset, as in the Moswetuset Hummock where Myles Standish and Squanto first met Chief Chickatawbut in 1621, and Massachusit, as in the Massachusit Fields where Captain Richard Wollaston brought the first settlers of Quincy Massachusetts in 1624. "Massachusett" translates from Algonquian as "The people who live near the great hill", while "Moswetuset" translates to "The hill shaped like an arrowhead". The former is thought to refer to the Blue Hills located south of Boston, while the latter most definitely refers to the Moswetuset Hummock.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:57 pm

I SAID I did not believe it.

And it would be nice to hear some comments about the article.

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:47 pm

In a strange kind of way ... It also links in with this article I read this morning. I am still shaking my head and muttering over it.
Julian Porteous, the auxiliary bishop of Sydney, warns that pursuing such ''alternative'' relaxation techniques as yoga, reiki massages and tai chi may encourage experimentation with ''deep and dark spiritual ideas and traditions''.
And further down the page ...
In Rome, the Vatican is preparing its first official English translation of the rite of exorcism, which was promulgated in 1614 and reissued in 1999. Its chief exorcist, Father Gabriele Amorth, claimed this month to have carried out 70,000 exorcisms. Bishop Porteous - who has stood in as exorcist for the Sydney archdiocese over the past five years - warns that yoga, reiki massages and tai chi can lead to people being in the grip of ''demonic forces''.

''A person can move from the use of a simple practice to de-stress to embracing the underlining theory and religious beliefs because these all come out of religious traditions of the East and people can then find themselves in the grip of demonic forces,'' he said. ''People can be naive in that regard.''
Source - http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/do-twilight-h ... -qn74.html

Quite obviously .. It is these so-called learned men who are naive. They cry "anti-christian" about anything that they do not understand, or fear to understand. Pick up a book and do some research before crying "Wolf!".
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:55 am

I think this "spring madness" comes in waves. In the 80s and early 90s, we had vicars banning role playing groups from their "church halls".

It is my suspiscion, the only reason THAT particular one died a death, is that just about the same period, computer gaming took off like a Saturn V on speed.

But they also mentioned Yoga, and the big one then Trancendental meditation.

One church even tried to get a bill before the U.K parliament, with the help of a couple of the bishops in the house of Lords, to try and ban TM at the time.

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:31 pm

I think that it is something they are always going to be trying to ban. They see yoga and meditation as something akin to their own spiritual worship, but on the other end of the scale to what they believe to be right and true .. When for some people it is really just a way for them to relax and let go of the stress in their lives. For some it does indeed become a part of their lifestyles, but to say that it leads to "dark spiritual ideas or religions" just proves their lack of understanding, and their lack of intellect lol.
Good on the old dears for sticking it to the vicar who kicked them out of that venue. They quite obviously know what they are about, and are not being misled or being coerced into another set of beliefs and ideals, they just want to stay fit and healthy in their later years, and appear to be enjoying themselves while they do it. If it had of turned out that the tai chi instructor was trying to turn them away from christianity whilst using the church for the lessons, then sure, I could understand the vicar getting upon his high horse, but that's not how it went down. Everyone's happy but the vicar it seems! lol
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:54 am

Kind of puts paid to their normal blather when confronted by someone of another faith, and they are, as normal, losing the argument; "Oh but it is all the same god with different names really, isn't it?"

Obviously NOT. Otherwise they would have no problems even if a shintoist "Ladder of swords" climbing group wanted to hire the hall.