Cleaning

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Cleaning

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:29 am

Hey all,
I was thinking recently about the pagan festivals. I noticed that at every pagan festical, even if I know it is coming (Yule, Samhien) or not (Imbolc) I get a wierd urge to clean.

I am generally pretty neat, but this is serious cleaning with a goal, almost purging. Does anyone else get like this near the holidays? I could understand Yule because that is when I have family over, but the other holidays... I don't know.

I am interested to hear if other people go through the same thing.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Cleaning

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:34 am

Imbolc is definitely a cleaning holiday. Spring cleaning! I get the same way as you. I think because the holidays are celebrating a different spoke on the wheel, it's sort of an "Out with the old, in with the new!" mentality.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:56 pm

I never really thought about it until I read this, but I do get that same urge to go through and do a massive clean up, or clean out, around the different holidays. I used to just chalk it up to a cleaning bug kind of mood, but it makes sense really now that I think about it lol
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 am

Glad it isn't just me. The spring cleaning urge is strong right now. I desperately want to wash my windows. Though I think I would rather be doing almost anything than writing this thesis.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Willow- Why is that?!?!? I've never understood why I always want to wash the windows first??? :-k

I get the cleaning bug too around spring-ish holidays and the nesting/hoarding bug around the fall-ish ones. Funny how that works..... :roll:
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:37 am

I think because windows are satisfying, they area big once a year job and look great after you finish them.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:51 am

Wow, you must not have a lot of car traffic where you live...I need to do my windows at least twice a year, else they turn gray. Spring and Fall...as soon as this weather shifts, it will be time to do them again.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:49 pm

I live in downtown toronto so there is lots of traffic, but very little dust. I thinkt hat might have something to do with it. Or maybe they should be done twice a year and I am lazy. The latter is more likely.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:39 pm

I live out in the sticks and windows always seem to find a way to need cleaning twice a year. It's got to be some sort of evil plot by Windex to increase their stock value. :lol:
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:24 am

Window cleaning once, twice per YEAR!!

Mine need doing once, twice per MONTH!

I blame all these "clean air" regulations brought in by the environmental wierdoes.

When East Germany was still burning brown coal in their power stations WITHOUT filters, and which surrounded Berlin, Brandenburg being the largest producers and users of brown coal in the world, the windows could be left to do three or four times per year. NOW, however, they seem to be constantly filthy.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:35 am

I think I got the spring cleaning bug, I recently moved house and have become a bit obsessed. I was up until 1am cleaning the insides of cupboards :-? I went to bed thinking 'where did that come from?'
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:54 pm

I don't know if I love it or I hate it when that happens. The worst is when I do something like dust a windowsill, and next thing I know I am washing all the walls in my house.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:58 pm

What gets annoying for me is when I go to pick up a bit of clutter, like old mail or something, and the next thing I know I've cleared the whole table and am scrubbing it.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:58 am

:-o Willow, I did exactly that this afternoon! But instead of cleaning walls, I was scrubbing around the skirting boards for a couple of hours. Always keen to break gender stereotypes - do you think guys ever get like this?
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Hubby does. I've gone away for the weekend and come back to find the house completely organized, the laundry done and the countertops washed! He even scrubbed the bathroom one time.

He got bored and lonely, and decided to clean. Of course, I'll come home sometimes and find that he rotted a weekend away on the xbox. It just depends on if his ambition bites him or not.