How Did You Spend Imbolc?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: How Did You Spend Imbolc?

Post by Kystar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:37 am

Since I never had an area devoted to practice or anything, my Fae tended to flitter around the house and harass the cats.

In my new house, I've only had one manifestation that used to occur in the old house...the "shadow cat" that ran around has showed itself. When we moved, we told "Shadow" that if he wasn't truly malicious, and wanted to stay with us, he could follow. Just to make sure something nasty didn't come when we pulled down the wards.

Our Fae haven't manifested yet, probably because the grounds are in a state of neglect and nothing's thriving. When I get my flowerbeds and planters fixed up, I expect to get more to come around. And a door or two probably wouldn't hurt! LOL.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! :oops: It's nice to see that an idea I had might very well take off like I hope it will!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:45 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:
Kitsune wrote:(although Grimwell might argue... No Spirits allowed in the house is the rule, after all ).
What? Not even Fae?
Remember, my Grimmy is a partially reformed psi-vamp... He used to eat the plentiful food sources (he's beside me now, quietly muttering, wistfully "Is tasty..."). Of course, I'm friendly with all of them, and thus they would come in to see me, start getting eaten, attack in defensive and well... it just all worked out badly.

So now the rule is no spirit folk in the home... They can come in the yard, and our spirits and guides can enter at will, but nobody else is allowed inside the house.

Still, I think they're great. I love Fae and Fairy Doors are awesome.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:11 am

Kystar...I like the door.

Imbolc...I honestly comepletely forgot about it until CHL posted on my facebook page. But it was just the day before the first chapter of my thesis was due so I couldn't even leave my computer chair to do anything.

I hope everyones was great though, only two weeks until my next deadline, hopefully no holidays in the meantime!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Clettko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Clettko » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Kystar, I love the fairy door. I just might attempt one for my home!

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:49 pm

LOL. Thanks. Glad you like it.

I'm eventually going to be selling them...don't know if it will be an Etsy shop or a fully independent e-commerce website. But, they're part of my woodworking that will be for sale, probably starting late spring. Need time to get the shop up and running. I'm also planning some small keepsake boxes, and eventually doing larger boxes and jewelry boxes and such.

I am planning to offer some sort of discount to PL members, when I get things Up and running, even if it's a shipping discount! :-) Since you guys have always been so supportive. I'll have to figure out the exact discount and such when I get the site running!

I'll be sure to let everyone here know when the shop goes live!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:35 pm

I don't suppose you'll be making boxes for Tarot cards, will you? :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:13 am

Actually, yes, those are in the plans.

I need to do some research, figure out the sizes that are needed.

But, I am planning on making Tarot boxes.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Well, I can let you know how big my oracle & tarot decks are... If you should need it? :-D

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Potentially later, like when the shop is actually functional. I have two decks of tarot to measure, and a deck of Oracle cards myself...so I might be ok. But, I know there's no standard for Tarot...so I might need the additional numbers!

Right now, the garage is a mess b/c we never got a chance to organize after moving in. The shed has a hole in the back wall, so we couldn't put much out there...meaning the stuff that SHOULD be in the shed is in the garage.

As soon as the 2+ feet of snow melts off (May?), we're going to be getting the shed repaired and organizing everything. Which is when I'll actually start cranking stuff. I can't find my leather working supplies, or I'd be making pouches. I hate moving. It takes forever to get reorganized, with his work schedule and my bad back! Especially since we're stopping to do repairs every time I turn around! Gah!

Oh well...don't mind me, just winter blahs.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:43 am

Hey, It's always a big thing when you get your own "office space". Heck, when I moved into my house, we took the time to set up one of the bedrooms as a personal office for me. The day it was actually done and everything was out of the boxes was the day I really felt like my dream was going to become a reality. For me, it's having that space set aside, even if you tend to not use as often as you like, that really tells you you're on your way.

Mid-Winter blahs will pass. And you obviously have the skill to make great things. Remember, any extra money you bring in from this will almost certainly be helpful to you guys... if not in repairs, then in just making life more comfortable all around.

If you don't mind a suggestion, You might want to take a few pictures of your items and design a regular webpage to showcase them, with each picture leading to your etsy page. If you put up the webpage with examples of your work as well, you can set up a subscription line, sending out a mass e-mail when you put up new items, giving your fans first dibs at your new products.

Jessica Galbreth, one of my favourite online artists, has actually written a book about how to properly sell yourself on the web... she's done extreamly well, and even though you're both in different mediums, I think her book might help you out.

I'd also suggest that you start up a daily or bi-weekly blog with your webpage. It's amazing what people will put up with so long as you come on and talk twice a week, letting them know what delays have come up and your personal victories. On the web, the more you come across as a real person, rather than a business, the more you seem to sell, and people will trust your product more.

Anyways, I'll step off the soapbox now... I've been looking into starting a webpage for my writing as well, to promote me and my work before I get published... So promotion on the web is something that I've been looking into recently.(Don't worry, I'll let you all know when I get something up. You guys will be first on my list)

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Kystar wrote:I am planning to offer some sort of discount to PL members, when I get things Up and running, even if it's a shipping discount! :-) Since you guys have always been so supportive. I'll have to figure out the exact discount and such when I get the site running!
Well then, that just means I'll definitely come shopping! lol Shipping from Aus to US and vice versa is always icky .. Sent over some books for a friend last year and omg did I pay a fortune for it! lol

But I am glad that you are doing something that you love, and making something more out of it and will be sharing it with everyone else. It's fantastic, and so obviously makes you happy! :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Kitsune: I was planning a gallery page, even if I do the actual commerce through Etsy. And I think a blog for the business is a good idea, I'll talk to Hubby about setting up wordpress on my one domain.

I'm hoping to get organized enough to be able to do craft shows, too...so having a presence that isn't just a store will be useful. I am going to open things up to commission eventually. When I'm better organized and established.

On this whole subject, I have to ask, if I were to make wooden runes, would they sell better, do you guys thing, if I included a leather pouch or a wooden box?

White Harmony: I figured since we're an international community, that the best "deal" I can offer is to discount the shipping!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Kystar wrote:On this whole subject, I have to ask, if I were to make wooden runes, would they sell better, do you guys thing, if I included a leather pouch or a wooden box?
There is something unbelievably pleasing to me (and my spouse) about pouches, bowls, boxes, etc. Runes in a leather or fabric pouch I think would sell very well. I'm not so sure about boxes, unless perhaps they were lined with cotton (don't ask why - to me that would make a big difference).
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:33 pm

Frankly, I've always thought of Tarot Cards in a lined wooden box, and Runes in a pouch. It just strikes me as more...fitting.
I was thinking, if I did use a box, to line it with canvas or something.

But, others have different Ideas...so I thought I'd ask.

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:05 pm

I have to agree Kystar. I've always been the same with Tarot Cards in boxes and Runes in pouches. We bought a lovely set of hand crafted runes a few years ago that came in a lovely pouch. It just seemed to fit them so well. If you did decide to toy with the idea of runes in a box, you could always include a small pouch with the set, so that the box is more like a wonderful handcrafted storage piece, as well as functioning as a nice shelf piece that will catch the eye - and hopefully have word of mouth working for you as well! I figure since most people like to use the runes in a pouch when they do sit down to do their divination, they'd get the best of both worlds this way.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~