New Irish "Anti-Blasphemy Law"

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

New Irish "Anti-Blasphemy Law"

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 am

Unbelievable....

Link to article HERE
A law making "blasphemy" punishable by a fine of up to 25,000 Euros or over $35,000 has gone into effect in Ireland. Atheist Ireland, a group of Irish atheists, has published a list on their website of statements that would be actionable under the new law.

According to CNN the new anti blasphemy law would be broken by anyone, "--grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion." However one can "--try to defend themselves by
Irish Atheists Protest "Blasphemy" Law proving that a reasonable person would find literary, artistic, political, scientific or academic value in what they said or published"

In response to the blasphemy law, Atheist Ireland has published a list of quotes from the following people that might be construed as illegal under the new blasphemy law: "Jesus Christ, Muhammad, Mark Twain, Tom Lehrer, Randy Newman, James Kirkup, Monty Python, Rev Ian Paisley, Conor Cruise O'Brien, Frank Zappa, Salman Rushdie, Bjork, Amanda Donohoe, George Carlin, Paul Woodfull, Jerry Springer the Opera, Tim Minchin, Richard Dawkins, Pope Benedict XVI, Christopher Hitchens, PZ Myers, Ian O'Doherty, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor and Dermot Ahern."
You can read the quotes from the Atheist group HERE and YES, there 2 quotes from Jesus Christ, and one from Pope Benedict XVI.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: New Irish "Anti-Blasphemy Law"

Post by white_harmony » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:33 pm

*sigh* ... Political correctness, copyrighting, and now this ... Everything seems to be so extreme these days.

However, I'm not surprised to see George Carlin as one of the quotes there lol. I love him, he was a fantastic comic. But I do agree with alot of the comments made on the site ... It's a law that belongs in the dark ages.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:21 pm

I don't know if it has much to do with being politically correct (notice calling someone a "Witch" as a derogative is still legal) so much as the Catholic Church validating its place in Ireland according to a very old agreement. Something in Ireland definitely has to make a major shift.

Wonder what Bono thinks :lol:
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:29 pm

lol .. I more meant that political correctness, copyright laws etc etc is all over the top these days, as are these laws. Would really love to see everything shift back to a level where everything is more ... Balanced. Don't think it'll be anytime soon, but one can definitely hope! lol
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:30 pm

OH! Where was my head? Yes, I agree with you there.
Crazy Healer Lady

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 am

white_harmony wrote:lol .. I more meant that political correctness,..... is all over the top these days,
Na. That is the first time I have heard that here, and except for us Heathens, I thought I would never hear it, not HERE any way.

But you are quite correct. It is getting beyond ridiculous.

Do you know, that in the U.K, you can be arrested, and possibly go to prison, for saying the 11/09 perps were muslim, now?

Hundreds of cases in Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland, Britain, etc, where the police need witnesses. We are not allowed to describe the fact that the perp was anything, other than white. Not even the ACCENT can be described, if it is not W.A.S.P!

"Discrimination" don't you see?

(HOWEVER if he IS W.A.S.P, then you CAN describe it!)

How the HEL do you fight a war when you can not describe the enemy? :-# :-# :-#

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:59 am

All of this reverse-racism is really getting to me. The Western World is shooting itself in the foot with all this. And yet in the USA, there are now body scans in airports that are ONLY being used on people of certain... "cultural distinguishments." I agree, though. How are you supposed to know what the man/woman you're looking for looks like if you can't report their bloody colour, nose shape, or accent? "No, Sir, I can't say, but he definitely was NOT white." Oh yes, that is MUCH more progressive. Because there is White, and then there is ... Not White? Beautiful. THAT will end racial favouritism.
Crazy Healer Lady

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:All of this reverse-racism is really getting to me. The Western World is shooting itself in the foot with all this. And yet in the USA, there are now body scans in airports that are ONLY being used on people of certain... "cultural distinguishments."
You HAVE to profile when you are suposeed to secure the whole of the continent from ONE terrorist/group.

How many 2 meter tall, white blond, blue eyed people from Iceland have flown passenger jets into tall buildings in N.Y recently?
"No, Sir, I can't say, but he definitely was NOT white."
Na! It is even illegal to say THAT!

You CAN however say that they were WHITE.

Work THAT one out.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Ragnar wrote:How many 2 meter tall, white blond, blue eyed people from Iceland have flown passenger jets into tall buildings in N.Y recently?
All I'm saying is, the USA has many fanatical anti-government groups. I know I'd be pretty p'd if I was scanned just because I have red hair (crazy vikings). I'm not saying it's not necessary, but doesn't look like they're going off of much more than dress or skin. But again, we're talking USA airports, or anyone travelling to the USA, world-renowned for mistreatment of anyone with a turban or sporting anything but the local tan. This is also going by local media which is quick to accuse the USA of such inequality, valid or not. I'm still not convinced that the darn scanners aren't giving us cancer, though, and I think that's my main miff.

"The manufacturers of such machines claim they are perfectly safe and present no health risks, but a study conducted by Boian S. Alexandrov (and colleagues) at the Center for Nonlinear Studies at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico showed that these terahertz waves could "...unzip double-stranded DNA, creating bubbles in the double strand that could significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication." (link)
The evidence that terahertz radiation damages biological systems is mixed. "Some studies reported significant genetic damage while others, although similar, showed none," say Boian Alexandrov at the Center for Nonlinear Studies at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico and a few buddies. Now these guys think they know why.

Alexandrov and co have created a model to investigate how THz fields interact with double-stranded DNA and what they've found is remarkable. They say that although the forces generated are tiny, resonant effects allow THz waves to unzip double-stranded DNA, creating bubbles in the double strand that could significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication. That's a jaw dropping conclusion.

And it also explains why the evidence has been so hard to garner. Ordinary resonant effects are not powerful enough to do do this kind of damage but nonlinear resonances can. These nonlinear instabilities are much less likely to form which explains why the character of THz genotoxic
effects are probabilistic rather than deterministic, say the team.
(link)
Ragnar wrote:You CAN however say that they WERE white.
#-o Who threw THAT logic in?
Crazy Healer Lady

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:20 pm

The Brits. Who else? :-# #-o

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:40 am

Here is my take on "Profiling" that a great many people say we need to start doing.

They want to profile Middle-Eastern people - Israelis are Middle-Eastern and they are our allies, so that doesn't work.

They want to profile Arabs (or Persians if you want to be accurate for the ones between Iraq and Pakistan) - Radial Muslims come in all shades including white converts (had a few from just up the road in Los Angeles), so that doesn't work. Also many other races can and have been mistaken for Arabs, like some from Central and South America, conversely some terrorist contacts have pretended to be Mexican or South American to avoid detection.

They want to profile people with names like Abdullah Muhammad Jabinijad - Radical Muslims come from other countries as well, for example Southern Thailand has a strong Fundamentalist Muslim community and they have typical Thai names like Satitchakunbi and Burarakwayra, so that doesn't work.

The two above points also depend on the terrorist out to kill people to also be a honest person. The so-called Christmas bomber could easily have passed for African American and if he had said his name was Bill Washington Moore, what would have been the profiling trigger?

Finally, they want to profile any and all Muslims, again we must depend on the "honest" criminal theory. The ones who are out to skate by security aren't going to admit it.

What we need to do, is what the Air Marshalls and Intelligence agencies say to do. That is to have more agents in the airport terminals and have them looking for behavioral clues rather than just at people's skin color. That is to have more security agents to cover each other and perevent incidents like in Newark, New Jersey. That is to use the body scanners and other technologies, but also use the organic tech like dogs.

For the people that object to the body scanners because some security guard might see the outlines of their bodies, anyone that has been to a beach, especially you Europeans that have the nude beaches, should realize that this is not a great thrill for the security agents as there are many individuals that no one ever, EVER wants to see naked.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 am

ALL police/Security work depends on some extent, profiling.

It W"ORKS.

So some people get inconvenienced? Better than EVERY one getting inconvenienced.

Aye, you WON'T catch every one of them. But it's better than catching none of them because of some naive, namby pamby "lets all have agroup hug to cure the terrorist", liberal idiot "P.C" idea, that "People who blow up buildings in N.Y with aeroplanes are just missunderstood wretches who need our understanding", and "all muslims are good at heart".

"Not all terrorists are muslim, but 9 out of 10 terrorists prefer islam".

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:55 am

Not arguing that many terrorists follow a twisted form of Islam, although the IRA might have a thing or two to say, and are led or bought off by people you will never see sacrifice themselves. But the idea that all muslims and by extension all terrorists are the stereotypical Muhammad Abu Bin Sallah with the scraggy beard and dusty dress is not going to get you much.

Using the Christmas Bomber as an example, A black man dressed in western style clothes would not have triggered anything, and didn't in fact. Whereas if an air marshall trained in surveillance had been in the airport, the fact he was nervous, trying to hide his face, had no luggage or passport and behaving in a general suspicious manner would have keep him off the plane. His accomplice was a Indian business man. Again, no trigger.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 am

Dark Waters wrote: Using the Christmas Bomber as an example, A black man dressed in western style clothes would not have triggered anything, and didn't in fact. Whereas if an air marshall trained in surveillance had been in the airport, the fact he was nervous, trying to hide his face, had no luggage or passport and behaving in a general suspicious manner would have keep him off the plane. His accomplice was a Indian business man. Again, no trigger.
Ah. But then you come to another problem. "Privatisation" of security at air ports.

A well trained and experienced customs or Immigration man woulöd have spotted that immediately, but when you staff the area with someone who was security on a building site yesterday, got called to the air port because "Fred id off sick", then tomorow will be throwing rampaging toddlers out of Mc Donalds, then you do not stand a chance.

Another reason fart pants did not get stopped was BECAUSE he was not profiled.

The idea SHOULD be to flag everybodys "country of first flight", as we do here. This means that because it was... na where was it again? Somalia, or Jemen??? Whichever, that would have "red flagged" his passport and tickets. (Profiling).

The fact that he had no passport, but had boarded, changed planes and got to the U.S is REALLY beyond me. And there the fault MUST lie with the Dutch system. As far as I knew trying to get an international ticket without a valid passport, and Visa if neede, is like trying to obtain a DNA test from a plastic rocking horse.