The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Love to read? Share your books, ideas, thoughts, etc.
Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by Rowan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:55 am

Anyone who has read the Harry Potter series will be familiar with the name Nicholas Flamel, if only in a periferal sense.

In real life, Nicholas Flamel was neither a philosopher nor a sorcerer, but in this series of books for young teens, he is portrayed as an immortal and an alchemyst.

So far, the series contains only three books: The Alchemyst, The Magician and The Sorceress. According to author Michael Scott's website, three more will complete the series: The Necromancer, The Warlock and The Enchantress. As mentioned above, this book series is for young teens, probably in the 11 to 15 range, though at 37 I've enjoyed them quite a lot. ;)

Quite honestly, I don't recall how I stumbled across the first book in the series, but once I read it, I was hooked. Of course, when I bought it, the second and third books were yet to be published. :-({|= But I have since bought the second and third books, in the middle of The Sorceress now.

I have enjoyed this series mostly because it features both historical figures (my other reading pleasures are historical fiction) such as Nicholas Flamel and his wife Perenelle, who lived in the 14th century, and Dr. John Dee, who was one of Queen Elizabeth's personal advisors annnnnd William Shakespeare. But the story also contains figures more familiar to the pagan world - such as Hekate, Bastet and Scathach. I've also learned of people I'd never heard of before, like Palamedes the Saracen Knight who supposedly fought with King Arthur after converting to Christianity.
I have lost my way.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Re: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Post by Willow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:40 pm

Ha, I read the first one at my friends house, finished it in a few hours, it was fun. I thought the Hekate part was definitely interesting.

If you like that but want something aimed more at adults, the Fionvar (sp?) tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay is amazing, and the tone of that series reminded me of this one, only with much more lyrical writing and more intricate plots.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rowan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:29 am

For some reason when it comes to fantasies, I prefer this age group. :P
I have lost my way.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:22 am

Have your ead Tamora Pierce at all? I liked her books, they are more aimed at girls, but I think guys could like them too (taking a stab at your gender here)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rowan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:37 pm

I just realised that my gender isn't listed anywhere on my profile. LOL I'm a 37-year old femme fatale... errr... female. :-D
I have lost my way.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:10 am

Definitely get some Tamora Pierce then! It's some good stuff, I really like the trickster's choice and trickster's queen books.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rowan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:47 am

I'll add them to my list if I can find the end of it... :sunny: :study:
I have lost my way.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:04 am

My list is really more of an ever-growing pile, I figure I just get the books and will read them as the desire hits me and as I have time.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sìle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:10 pm

I am currently reading another series by Michael Scott, Tales of the Bard. I have just finished Book 1: Magician's Law and am looking forward to obtaining the second book and reading that.

Arydigital
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arydigital » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:27 am

Ha, I read the first one at my friends house, finished it in a few hours, it was fun. I thought the Hekate part was definitely interesting.

If you like that but want something aimed more at adults, Bubbly Kya Chahti Hai the Fionvar (sp?) tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay is amazing, and the tone of that series reminded me of this one, only with much more lyrical writing and more intricate plots.