Sword of the Lady

Love to read? Share your books, ideas, thoughts, etc.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Sword of the Lady

Post by Kitsune » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:47 pm

SM Stirling's new book in his Emberverse series will be released on August 25th. This is my favourite series of all time, and Sword of the Lady is the latest in the second set of the series.

They have Pagan characters, that are some of the best pagan representations in everyday fiction that I've ever seen.

Pick up the series if you haven't already, and pick up the book definately... I will post a thing up here in our book section, as soon as I finish reading it!

I love being able to ask my author himself when the book comes out! 8-) :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Sword of the Lady

Post by davisherm » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:51 am

Darn it! I don't have the money for the book and it's not at my library yet!

A druid friend of mine who also happens to be in an SCA-like group turned me on to these books about two months ago. They are fantastic! Stirling gets us. More importantly, he gets us RIGHT. Gods, it is so nice to read stories with real witches who are not only treated with respect, but are explained correctly and in pretty decent depth. Granted, they're some pretty important characters, so he'd want them to be done correctly - but Stirling's approach is almost reverential. I would say he's almost certainly very close to a few pagans.

I can't wait to get my hands on this book. I'm actually re-reading the first books now in preparation for it!
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:42 am

I will definitely pick them up, and even though I am the ONLY person on this site who loves him.

The wheel of time, next book Gathering storm comes out October 27th. Guess who is doing a happy dance!!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:12 pm

I have to wait for September 1 for my books here. Grrr. I hate having different release dates between here and the States.

And of course SM Stirling gets us. Before he puts out his books, he checks with an actual wiccan who lives not too far away from the Willamette. And even she feels shocked at the amount of research he puts into his novels.

Oh, now I can't wait for Tuesday. I'll be stopping off after work.. There is a small glitch that may delay my book buying until Thursday... but I do promise that I'll mention them on here.

I would like to read the beginning books to prepare for it... but I lent them to a friend of mine.

From what I can tell SM Stirlings got it right... Offer them the first taste free, and after that they're hooked for life.

So, who's everyone's favourite character?

Mine is definately Juniper from the first series. From this second set, I'm not sure... but I think I'd have to say the Twins. Hearing them talk about their aunt Astrid and the "Histories" never fails to brighten my day.

Although, if anyone happens to know if Rudi is real, I wouldn't mind meeting him on a Beltane night. =P~ I'm sure my husband wouldn't mind... :roll: :badgrin:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Moved to the Book Club deary ^__^

I'll have to get around to reading his works one day! They sound fantastic!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Incidentally, if you're like me and waiting for the book, you can read the first 10 chapters right on Stirling's site.
http://smstirling.com/
Sure an fer all, you kin find it hereabouts.

As for favorites, it's probably the soldier in me, but I'm a Mike Havel fan through and through. While reading the first book, I was reacting to things in the same fashion he was. Also, I have an attachment to the entire Barstow family. I swear I actually know them. It's always the mark of a good storyteller when you become invested in the characters - even the seemingly minor ones - to such and extent that any event in the story that impacts them is felt as if to a good friend or family member. There were certain events that brought tears to my eyes, especially one particular scene in The Scourge of God. I shan't discuss details here as it seems only a few of us have read the books yet.

In the second series, I'm rather enjoying the entire group as a whole. Should I call them a host? A company? :lol:

Specifics would have to be Rudi, of course. Although I'm also partial to the Twins - probably because so much of their father is in them, despite how much their Aunt Astrid has turned them aside from stalwart practicality. Their play off each other early in the books is fantastic and, I especially love the wisecrack about what Oddard's Suix name should be. I was laughing quite loudly and had to explain not just the context but then the joke. It's an oldie but a goodie and is probably considered classic humor since the Change.

I'm on chapter 8 thanks to the online sample. I should really stop and wait and savor it but I just can't seem to help myself. When a book grabs me like this, I simply devour it. Why oh WHY couldn't the whole story be done so I could finish reading it? Once my library says it's my turn, I'll be done in under a day if I know myself and then I'll be waiting at least a year for the High King. *Grumble*

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks Crazy... I put this out as a general notice, and thought I'd put up an actual review later, but it got a bit out of hand. :-D

Mike Havel is a great character, but I have to admit, Eric was more my style in the first set from "their side"... at least, when I couldn't fixate on Astrid. What can I say... I have a thing for Pagan or Eccentric Women. :lol:

Personally, my favourite part of the second set was the twins telling their Aunt Astrid, "But you're an elder now, like Elrond, and even he didn't go with the Company, he just helped put them together." I was giggling my ass off, especially when she seemed defeated but had to agree, since even the "Histories" said so.

From the last book, Scourge of God, my favourite part was when Rudi (I seem to remember it was Rudi) saw the White Buffalo woman, who then showed that All Gods are one God, and All Goddess one Goddess.

Actually, Crazy, for some reason that scene has always reminded me of you... although I don't honestly know why.

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:05 pm

I just got an email from the Library. My book hath arrived. I don't know if I can get out to pick it up today, but it will soon be mine (to borrow)!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:50 am

Congrats! I've had mine since last Thursday, but I decided to read from the Sunrise Lands again. So, now I'm around 3/4 way through Scourge of God.

Man, once again (for everyone reading it) Sethaz Zombies are nasty! (Rudi and companions just got out of the Buddhist temple, and have just met up with the Indians! Yeah, I know it means nothing if you're not reading the book, but for those who have, it's clear as day. :lol: )

I also bought myself a few other books last night. "A Witch's Halloween - A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells & Lore", "Spirited" (about modern Paganism), and "Christianity - How the Church has Exploited the Myth of Christ". I'll let everyone know how they are as I finish reading them! :-D

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:15 am

I... SEE...YOU!

Ugh, too right Kitsune.
But seriously, the fight at Pendleton holy crap! And the twins facing down the scout and High Seaker. I was riveted.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:32 am

(shiver)

Yep... still creepy.

I got started on Sword of the Lady last night... Awesome so far. There's a scene between Tiphaine and Conrad (and Sandra) that's to die for.

Maybe that's what I'll dress up as for Halloween... A Sethaz Zombie! They're more terrifying than the regular type!

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:12 pm

See, here I thought you meant you were going to dress up as Lady D'Ath. I was wondering if you'd be going full Associate Knight or Stealth Pajamas mode.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Nope, the only way I'm dressing up as Lady D' Ath is if I get my own Lady In Waiting as well, with her own... embroidery skills. :lol: :roll:

Besides, I'd probably look better as a McKenzie... Did I mention that I'm buying myself a Baby Harp?

joatsimeon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joatsimeon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:40 pm

Glad people are enjoying the book(s). Thought I'd drop by and see. Next under construction... 8-).

Steve Stirling

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:47 am

Wow. Thank you. Thank you for the stories. Thank you for the way you treated your pagan characters. And thank you for stopping by and saying Hi. That's really something else!

Kitsune wrote:Nope, the only way I'm dressing up as Lady D' Ath is if I get my own Lady In Waiting as well, with her own... embroidery skills. :lol: :roll:

Besides, I'd probably look better as a McKenzie... Did I mention that I'm buying myself a Baby Harp?
I have to say that I'd probably fit in with the McKenzies as well. My tastes in music and my intense attraction to my Scots heritage would have pulled me there, had I the option. Course, that's a loooong walk to Montival. I'd have been lucky to last through to when Rudi and Co come back from the Sunrise Lands and join up with them on the return leg. I'm smack in the middle of the northern part of the Eastern Death Zone. (Albeit in a more remote part of it with a great fallback location should something this world changing ever occur.)