understanding earth based worship of Durga

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!
LalitaDevi
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Leo

understanding earth based worship of Durga

Post by LalitaDevi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:17 pm

Greetings, I just signed up on this thing after reading through some of the forum and thinking it is pretty cool!

I come from a background of strict spiritual practice in the tradition of Vedanta philosophy and Swami Sivananda (basically, Hinduism). I was initiated into a lifelong devotion to Durga through her mantra in my very early 20's. In any case, though I feel an incredibly strong connection to her, I have had trouble feeling totally grounded in other aspects of this spiritual practice, and am trying to think about/discover other ways to maintain this connection while exploring different spiritual paths. I am especially interested in following this practice down a more earth-based road without so much of the dogma associated with the practice I took on at such a young age. Looking back on it, what I really attracted to was the path of devotion and worship and not the specific spiritual tradition if that makes any sense.

I am wondering if anyone else here has dealt with this and has advice...its difficult to "do your own thing" because you lose some of the community that comes with following one tradition, but maybe there is a lot to gain? Where does one start when you want to take parts of one tradition with you and explore others? Last, has anyone else explored a worship of Durga as part of their own personal practice?

Many thanks, Lalita Devi
"the world offers itself to your imagination, calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting--over and over announcing your place in the family of things." Mary Oliver, Dream Work

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: understanding earth based worship of Durga

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:40 am

Hello and welcome!

I do not have experience with Durga, but I can tell you there is much to gain from studying all spiritualities and forms. You learn who you are. You find what fits PERFECTLY with your worldview. You find inspiration in ways you haven't thought of.

Best of luck :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG