CA Wildfires

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

CA Wildfires

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:16 am

Please keep in your thoughts those affected by the several wildfires burning around California. Several homes have been destroyed and the fires keep moving and growing. The heat wave that has been hitting us for the last week has pounded us hard, but hopefully, if the weather reports are close to true, it should start cooling down a little bit by the weekend.

This is the big one currently, the Station Fire, as seen from space.

{is there a way to post images directly here?}

Currently I am being kept busy monitoring our networks (I work for Southern California Edison) as some towers burn and cables melt. Two comm sites went down already, it looks like one came back up though. We have plans to move in for repairs when the fire moves away or is finally contained, we just have to wait.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

white_harmony

Re: CA Wildfires

Post by white_harmony » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:19 pm

My thoughts and blessings with everyone affected by this. It's a terrible thing to be caught in this kind of disaster [-o<

Reading this reminds me that fire season is just around the bend here as well ...
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:21 pm

I hope no one else gets hurt. My thoughts are with you.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:02 am

Forestfire season is in full swing up north, too. My parents get up in the morning to a nice little layer of ash on their vehicles .... My prayers are with everyone affected.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:43 am

Sadly, that's the nature of the area - there will always be fire there. Why on Earth we ever decided a desert that was prone to earthquakes and wildfire was a good place to settle is beyond me. But there's people there now, and I hope to the gods that everybody gets out of the way of the fire safely.

I can't imagine how disrupting it has to be to have half your infrastructure burnt out every other year.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Interestingly enough, my insurance company is looking into this sort of thing. Places that are prone to wildfire, or built right next to the ocean and constantly flood or are destroyed by storms are being considered for much higher rates. Even if they're only thinking of the money saving part, they have a point. And they bring it up whenever they bring up sustainability...
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:44 am

Well every area has their own brand of Disaster. East Coast/Gulf Coast Hurricanes. Tornado Alley going right up the middle on the plains. The Northern and Mountain regions snow and ice storms. I try to live in areas away from the the constant burn (or flood or shake) and rebuilds. To me if the home is destroyed even once (or twice if I thought it was a freak occurance) then it is time to move. Still I will occasionally feel the major shakes even though I am pretty far from major or minor faults and sometimes the fires just happen where you're at. Unfortunately, especially when they are caused by human negligence or deliberate destructiveness. Most of the fires out here are human caused and most of those turn out to be deliberate arson.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.