The world is clearly doomed. chuckle.

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

The world is clearly doomed. chuckle.

Post by Arcanum Owl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:37 pm

I believe this video should go in this section, had me rather attentive until the end that is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3X5hIF ... r_embedded

Is it just me or all these groups getting more sophisticated with their methods of hype and propaganda?
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: The world is clearly doomed. chuckle.

Post by runewulf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:45 pm

*shakes head slowly and chuckles quietly* that was definitely interestingly done, lol.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 pm

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

FIRST OFF, who says France, Italy, etc are 100% Christian? HOW is that a fair statistic when you're comparing the fertility rate of a country vs the fertility rate of a religion?

SECOND, humanity is like coyotes. The more you kill, the more they breed. If they think Muslims are that horrible, STOP BOMBING, stop killing, stop the hatred and discrimination.

THIRD, like "Christendom" is any better.

FOURTH, our world is overpopulated as it is. Advising people to breed 8+x to compete with the Muslim demographic is obscene.

Well, I'm off to NOT conceive my little Pagan babies for the next few years. Wish me luck in Hell with my birth control and my love/acceptance for people of all creeds.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm working on a movie about the persecution of witches in my freetime. Anyone got clips they want to contribute? It's mainly a monolouge as I flit through walking around scenes, working on various occultist materials, and just sitting in a tree for one scene; all while explaining the persecution of witches by (not just the church but) society as a whole.

Anyone can contribute materials if they want to. Just drop me an email.

And, I agree... It's notlike I like war, disease, starvation, or death in a general fashion. It's just a necessity to maintain life on earth. Personally I believe that death is a part of life and, thanks to modern medicine and containment policies, we're screwed on the global scale of population density.
Reference for this is the movie "Children of Men."
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:51 pm

The big thing they miss is that not ALL families have the number of children they are accounting for, and they are misusing the words 'fertility rate'. What they mean to say, I think, is that that is the average number of children per household. Then again, the 'historical numbers' they are using are probably the numbers from more than a century ago.

However, who's to say a woman and her husband having 18+ children wouldn't raise the number of CPH (Children per household). Then there's the problem of single mothers and fathers. A single mother could have four children and not be counted, a single father could have three and not be counted; Both because they're not in a married relationship. Single people, obviously, have no children yet they can be part of a religion, as well as couples who decide not to have children either, but belong to the same religion. Multiple divorces and remarriages aren't counted either, or children born to unwed parents. Therefore, their CPH averages are vastly inaccurate.

If Islamic immigration was fixing the population's supposed falling numbers, then why don't you see very many Islamic believers in Europe? The reason 90% of the immigration is Islamic is because of the horrid conditions in Islamic countries. The reason Islamic people may have more children (my theory) is that they are a religious and social minority, giving them more room among their religion and culture to nurture more children per married couple. Also, being born to Muslim families, does not mean that the parents OR children are Islamic. They want to talk about population, they should not mix it up with religion, which is exactly what they have done.

Canada is sparsely populated, in itself. Again, their numbers are very inaccurate because of this.
The reason that US 'fertility rates' have gone down is that we have come upon many economic hard times and now families are preventing further pregnancies, with many newly married couples opting to wait to have children after they are financially stable, and having less children. Why? Because food, gas, clothing, housing, utilities... everything costs more. More mouths to feed, with more people unemployed? That's my point. People are trying to ease their financial burdens by not having children or focusing on caring for the ones they already have.

The reason Latino immigration changes our CPH/'fertility rate' is because they immigrate, usually, illegally or as whole families. Once again, I'll go back to them began cultural and social minorities. They are experiencing the same difficulties we are. The reason 100,000 Muslims turned to 9,000,000 is because of, guess what, children who are NOT Ifrom the Middle East being born to Muslim religious families.

As for Muslim surpassing Christian membership numbers, I think that most Christian families are probably not church going families, preferring to teach at home, therefore, in many definitions of 'membership' they do not count as official church members.

They didn't include any areas but Europe and North America, which means that what they say for the world, isn't going to happen for the world. It would happen for Europe and N. America. South America, China and most of Asia, the Oceania islands and Australia were left uncounted.

Notice how they disabled comments at the bottom of the page? :-"

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Mahala wrote:Notice how they disabled comments at the bottom of the page? :-"
I notice that quite often with the religion bashing/prothelyzing/hating/etc. youtube vids... Apparently, they think the comments aren't going to be nice.
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:06 pm

Would you leave a nice comment on that? I would leave something to the tune of... well, your video is propaganda and it's full of stuff that isn't true. I feel sorry for those gullible enough to believe it too.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 pm

They do have a point though... Culture does fade if you're not the dominant one... The culture disappearance is what would worry me, much more than any religous tone. Cultures should be remembered, and practiced, else the "old" ways be forgotten. And if you forget something, then you haven't learned the lesson, even if you do apply the knowledge differently later on.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:10 am

You have a point there. I don't know why they're trying to measure it by religion, because people can easily change religions like they change everything else.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Not easily actually. When I was taking Sociology in University my teacher mentioned that there were six different types of religious people in the world... I can't remember what all of them were, but I do remember that "Changed Religion from Childhood to a different Religion" wasn't even on the list because it was so rare. Apparently, it's much more common to go from "Religious" to "Non-Religious" than it is to go from one religion to another.

I asked my teacher about it afterwards, and he said that while it could happen, he'd never even met someone who had. When I told him that I had changed mine from Christian to Pagan, his eyes bugged out. He told me later he was honestly thinking about using me as his subject for a new dissertation on the subject... Since it was so odd.

And I will, for reference, say that this happened maybe 5 years ago? Perhaps 6? So not all that long ago. Although it is obvious that it's happening more often now...
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Well, changing your beliefs is difficult. For the first while I felt shameful, but it went away after many months. I know two people who've changed religions, a former Catholic turned Pagan and another former Mormon turned Catholic. But the choice to change isn't. There may be people who identify with more than one group as well, like Pagan Christians.

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:24 pm

Yes, there may be groups like that. I've know "christian witches" and "christian buddists" over the years, as well as other mixes, such as "buddist wiccan" or "catholic shaman" etc.

Yes, any change is hard. Change goes against the natural human inclination, hence the old saying about "fearing change", because most all humans do, to one degree or another.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:12 am

Count me as a changed Baptist to Pagan.

Does changing sects in the Christian faiths count? An old friend of mine was in the process of becoming a Catholic Priest when he met the woman of his dreams and discovered that not being able to get married is a stupid, stupid idea. He's now Episcopalian and recently ordained - Also very happy with his wife and two kids.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:16 am

I'm facinated with propaganda, that was pretty impressive. I think it's sad that some Westerners are afraid of Muslim migrants. The more they integrate with 'Western' culture their children are going to be indistinguishable from any other European/American. I predict that give it a couple of generations when Muslims and Christians are marrying each other and having multi-faith children some other ethnic group will be targeted.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde