Anyone know about Eclectic Paganism?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
MaryE101
Level 2
Level 2

Anyone know about Eclectic Paganism?

Post by MaryE101 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:03 am

Hello everyone!
I finally found a book on Neo-Paganism (you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find in the SC...I had to go to about 5 book stores before I hit the jackpot...)....so anyway, I now have a book that covers the basics. It did a brief overview of some of the major branches of Paganism and one of the ones it mentioned was Eclectic Paganism. I like the sound of it, taking the best of Pagan and non-Pagan religions, but I'd like to learn more. I wondered if any of yall had heard of it? [-o<

Thanks!

Mary E
"Our strength is often composed of the weaknesses we're damned if we're going to show." - Mignon McLaughlin

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:47 am

I don't know any organized groups that could be called that...but my solitaire path follows the basic definition of Eclectic (not following any one system, but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems.) Maybe they're using that term to encompass those who don't follow a particular sect or coven but would still be considered pagan?

I can't think of any other means of finding information on that but a Google search, or Ask.com.

Sorry. :/
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

MaryE101
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MaryE101 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks! That makes sense!

Mary E
"Our strength is often composed of the weaknesses we're damned if we're going to show." - Mignon McLaughlin

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:42 am

I'd say that most eclectics are the ones who don't choose to follow and organized path, such as dianic.

I'm completely eclectic. It's the way I do most things in life, why not religion. Everyone seems to have their own ideas about things, and I really don't think that most deities get upset over that. They are supreme beings, and much more wise than we are, so I believe that they are pretty ok with most things like this.

I hope this made some sense.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:27 am

I always thought it was a general term used to group those who are kinda unorthodoxed, and take what they want and feel is best suited for them from any source they want to. They're still considered pagan, but their completely different from one to the other. I don't think that they have any organized collective beliefs that are shared by all that aren't already shared by all pagans.

In short... i agree with fyregarnet and kystar. :lol:

Oh, and congradulations on finding that book finally! :-D =D>
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm firmly eclectic... although, I'll admit it, I spent years under the impression that if I wasn't following the exact same path as somebody else, I was "doing it wrong". :roll: #-o

I'm glad I got over that little mistaken idea. I've got a great website on it... taken with a dose of salt, he's brilliant.

http://www.kaaos.org/faerie/eclectics.html

This guys site is brilliant... And he does a really good job explaining some of the reasons why.

Another great place to go is Witchvox... They've had a few very good essays based on being happy and eclectic. I'm very happy now that I've found my correct "path". :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:19 am

I guess one could call me eclectic... What do you call a new-age hippy that gains logic from various religions but gains the spiritual knowing from experience and speaking with Spirit? Like, "I've had this experience. What does this religion say about it? Hmm, all right. What does this one say about it? Now, how do other people experience it in terms of their chosen religion, and will this give me a better understanding and allow me to better help those around me and those that come to me?"

Kitsune, I love the word-association on the site you linked. "What is Eclectic Solitary Pagan?"
- "Unrestrainedly rootless free-thinking individual."

- "The 'pick and choose' mentality of consumers."

- "Potpourri. Some mixtures are great, some are awful and some that I think are eloquent, can in my sister's opinion resemble an unchanged kitty litter box."

- "Eclectic: Chooses the pieces best fitting to herself, just like everybody else does, but doesn't feel the need to attach themselves to any given religious group. Still wants to put
some sort of 'label' on herself. Solitary: Doesn't practice her religion officially with any given group of people. Primarily practices alone. Pagan: Gods only know."

- "Abundant "

- "Me."

- "Light bulb."
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:45 pm

I love this part
Pagan: gods only know
just goes to show you how confusing we can be! :lol:
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:45 pm

I don't know why... But light bulb definatley works for me... I don't know why, but that answer just seems to fit.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

MaryE101
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MaryE101 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:23 am

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the tips too!

mary E :-D

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Anyone know about Eclectic Paganism?

Post by runewulf » Fri May 15, 2009 12:59 pm

If you're talking about the older neo-paganism series from the late 80's or early 90s, what they were aiming at was basically taking bits and pieces from here and there and molding it into a personal path. Really, a lot of your modern forms of wicca and paganism are like that. There's nothing wrong with it at all, actually a lot of people find it much more satisfying because it is a path that the follower relates to better because it's tailored to them. I've done the strict, formal systems and the very open eclectic ones. Personally, I prefer the eclectic myself since I can adjust pieces to fit me better and I find more fulfillment and deeper connections by doing so.

Good luck
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Ysashi Yimura
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ysashi Yimura » Fri May 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Hey, here in brasil we have some kind of this. Some católics here belives in the saint, and anothers saints of anothers cultures.
But about the real paganism... when you have the faith in various gods, and you belive that no matters their names and you only think in their esence and the energi that you fell when you meditat about the perfect ideal, you heve got the first poin of this Ecletic Paganism... i think it is, but i'm not sure...
:hug:
"Success is not a question of chance, is a question of choice!"

See you space cowboy...

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Sun May 17, 2009 12:33 am

Kitsune wrote:I'm firmly eclectic... although, I'll admit it, I spent years under the impression that if I wasn't following the exact same path as somebody else, I was "doing it wrong".
And I used to think that way, with everything, school, training horses... And for mary, to quote Raven Silverwolf:
To Ride A Silver Broomstick wrote:Eclectic Witch: (Unimportant details) ... Basically it indicates that the individual does not follow any particular tradition, denomination, or sect, or magickal practice. They learn and study from many magickal systems and apply to themselves what appears to work best.
Which describes basically all Pagan solitaries. :lol: :roll: I think of eclectic Paganism/Witchcraft as being the little old lady who collects things not because they're related, but because she finds them interesting. (One day, I'll be that little old lady... I collect random things all the time, but I need to quit before I become a packrat like my mother... :-" )