Wicca vs. Pagan

All things wiccan...
runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Wicca vs. Pagan

Post by runewulf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:51 am

Ragnar wrote:How you doing any way?
Alive is about all I can say honestly. I've been suffering severe work overload... averaging 15 hours a day, 6 days a week lately with all the upheaval in the conglomerate of companies I work for... the recession is just making it worse.

That said, it's interesting to see how this topic has expanded, lol... seems now to be focusing on duality concepts and determining if fundamentalism is inherently bad...

I would have to agree with some of the above statements, Light isn't more powerful than Dark, or vice versa, they are two sides of the same "coin". All things have an inverse and real strength is finding ways to keep them in balance or at least in harmony, which isn't always the same thing.

Fundamentalism? It's never a good thing, be it christian, islam or even radical neo-pagans. When you get into a fundamentalist mindset, you close out reality and lock your mind away from growth and truth and stagnate in your perceptions and beliefs... and tend to force those beliefs and perceptions on everyone else. Beliefs are only good and proper when applied to a given individual, i.e. your self... as only the individual can honestly say what is "right" for them. You can't make that determination for others and in order to make that determination for yourself and do it right, you have to keep your mind open to experience and learn and not stagnate, which are some of the core issues with fundamentalists of any kind.

Blessings
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:42 am

Well said sir.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Off topic but it'd been bugging me and I feel it must be said.

Ragnar is a damn fine member and moderator of this forum, and over the last four years has been there for all of us. He is an upstanding individual and I hold him close to my heart as a friend and colleague. He deserves every bit of respect that we can give. The Pagan Library would not be what it is today without him.

Ragnar, may you return soon.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:24 am

He is an upstanding individual and I hold him close to my heart as a friend and colleague. He deserves every bit of respect that we can give.
I've read a lot of the older posts on the forum and although I don't know Ragnar I found that his posts were really interesting. Whatever happened I hope it sorts itself, and I too hope he does come back soon.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:55 pm

I remember when Ragnar first joined and ever since then, he has always put his opinion out there, usually in a well thought out way. He has been valuable since day one, as all member are. We all have our own areas of knowledge and experience and as long as others remember and accept this, they too are valuable members. I'm not in on whatever happened to Ragnar lately as I have been, and still to some extent am, on a long hiatus due to being psychotically overworked with my day job, but I hope he returns as his input and points of view have always been valuable in one way or another, even if just to get people to expand the way they are looking at things and maybe see them from a different angle. After all, how can one learn and expand themselves without seeing things from more than one point of view? Without that ability, there would be no real growth.

Blessings

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:25 am

Absolutely. I agree 100%.

By the way, Runewolf, good to see you around a bit more.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Merci dear, I am trying to be around more often and not just lurking about here and there... it's hard when I'm working 90 or more hours a week, but I am trying.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:20 am

I haven't read all the posts, as I've just been rudely awoken by my cat... But I have a question. While I was reading Ravenwolf's book, To Ride a Silver Broomstick, there were descriptions of the many Wiccan/Pagan paths, and then one path that was sort of the 'extra' category. (I say Pagan/Wiccan because some seem more of a branch of Paganism by themselves.)
From the book,
Eclectic Witch: (Unimportant stuff was here.) ... Basically it indicates that the individual does not follow any particular tradition, denomination, or sect, or magickal practice. They learn and study from many magickal systems and apply to themselves what appears to work best.
Where do eclectic witches go under Paganism? Is it truly a branch of Wicca, or is it just a catch-all name for those who are Pagan, but follow no specific pathway?

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:06 am

It depends on her definition of Witch.

If her definition of Witch is "someone who follows a Wiccan path", then an Eclectic Witch would be a Solitary Wiccan, not following a specific set of the wiccan beliefs. However, there are many different ways to interpret Witch... As a pagan, a hearth witch, a wiccan, someone who uses magic... I've even heard of cases where actual satanists have called themselves witches.

Personally, I use the term Eclectic Pagan, since my path only has 2 adherents... me and my husband both follow a path that we are still creating, which we call Neo-Cullis (The New Path). I've found that it's just easier sometimes to use eclectic, then try to actually describe what path I follow to a non-pagan.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:39 am

I agree with Kitsune...since "Witch" has different meanings in different groups...it could mean a few things.

I call myself an Elemental Witch because part of my beliefs involves energy work, herb work, spiritual communion and communication, guides, guardians, wards, crystal work and non-formal minor casting. Hubby calls himself a Techno-Druid b/c he's blending the modern technology with the Druid path.

I think it's really about what speaks to you personally...rather than what someone else thinks fits you.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:43 am

Speaking of Elemental Witch, Kystar, was it you who put up the post a while ago about a rock that you had made and put around your house? I remember it was something that you found at a home depot or something where you could make a rock, inscribe it with you sigils and then put it out?

I was thinking about doing something similar for the new place!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Actually, I made four...Earth, Air, Fire, Water. They were anchor stones for wards I cast.

I used stepping stone cement to create them, and yes, I scribed sigils into each one to represent the Element it was anchoring.

I had made one previous that was all four elements, but it didn't hold the ward evenly.

Each had a glass half-sphere in an appropriate color, so we could find them in the grass.

I think, if you didn't want to go as complex as that, a single stone could be used...or two...placed near the entrances to the house. Scribed with whatever stands as protection for you.

Funny you should mention these, as I just broke them the other day. I wanted to give the energy some time to return to the elements and allow the property to settle to being without them. The only thing I have left is my salt-line around the foundation of the house. I'm planning on making a new set for the new house, but I'm acquiring colored glass pieces to break and form a mosaic out of.

That's something else you can do...get the mosaic tile stepping stone kits at a craft store (Or the supplies they sell) and make small mosaic tiles to place in strategic areas as protection glyphs.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 pm

Oh, Mosaic tiles might work even better. I won't be attuning mine to the elements, since me and my huband don't usually fall that way. We will inscribe it with our protection system, and then I may summon a city spirit and see if it would be willing to guard our home as well (although I'll have to see about the spirit... My hubby is strangely adverse to them, mostly due to his vamp status... He eats them, so they don't like him).

I couldn't remember where you had found the kit to begin with, which is why I asked.

I will have to take a look for Mosaic tiles though... They might work somewhat better! (And I won't have to mow the lawn underneath them! Added bonus!)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:03 am

Nothing says you can't use what works for you.

Um, yeah, I could see how things would be wary around Hubby if he EATS them. Come to think about it, things seem wary around my hubby too, which probably has something to do with him manifesting as a dragon in his dreams...and when he dream-walks. "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!"

The kits and supplies aren't that expensive, I just like the idea of finding random glass things and breaking them to make the mosaic. I've done enough props to know how to safely break glass (Wrap it in clear tape, or masking tape, then gently tap with a hammer)...so I thought it would be a fun project. I have Water and Earth (Dark blue and Green) but still need Air and Fire. Oh well. I'll find them.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:18 pm

yep, that's my hubby!

I'll ask Grimwell when we get it finished... if he's okay with it, I might put pics of the tiles up here.

You'll have to do the same if you're not adverse to it!