Had a bad Weekend

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Had a bad Weekend

Post by Mahala » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Thursday I came down with it and spent the whole weekend sick. The worst part is I've only been able to stand/walk/eat for the last two or so days, and I can't have solid foods either. I'm just having a terrible time, and now that it's Monday, I've missed a day of school. All the articles I've read about tonsilitis say that it will last about a week or less, and it's almost there. The only thing is I can't miss a second day of school, and I can't get to a doctor! (Long story short: I have no medical because my parents can't pay cash to take me in to the doctor and CHIP, or Children's Health Insurance Program [In Utah] has denied us several times before. My state insurance card hasn't come in the mail either.)

I've already accidentally overdosed twice because I was so tired and nobody home offers me any help... :oops: You know how they say "Don't take more than 6 of these pills in 24 hours"? I've taken almost twice that amount because NOTHING will even bring the level of pain down enough to where I can comfortably eat baby food.

Overall I just feel terrible, and now that you know where I've disappeared of to, I'd like to ask for a bit of help. :sad4: (I'm definitely not in shape or educated/experienced enough to heal myself just yet...)

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Had a bad Weekend

Post by Max » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:15 am

I have no real words of help just a great deal of sympathy Mahala. I had tonsilitis during my final school exams and it is the most dreadful thing. (and then I found out I was allergic to the antibiotics, but another time...)

You won't be able to go to school, that's for sure, can't you email or get someone to call them? I've taught for a while so I understand protocols but if you're ill, you can't go!

Just lie in bed and try to sleep as much as you can. Let your body heal itself. Sip water so you don't dehydrate. I know it's painful to swallow, but try drinking through a straw. If you can, get someone to fetch those nutritional milkshakes for you or diet supplement drinks so you can get some nutrients while you can't eat. And please be careful about taking too many pills, write it down if you need to. I can't advise on the medical system in your country, but perhaps someone else can? Needless to say, it will pass in another week. Hang on in there. :sad4: >:D<
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:01 am

I hadn't even thought of those shakes... but they're quite expensive around here, and mostly diet shakes. So far I'm drinking Gatorade, Koolaid, water, broth, tea and fruit juice to try and get as much of what I need in liquid form. I wish tonsils were kind of like loose teeth; Just reach back and yank'm out when they get irritating. :roll:

I've gotten better with the pills... I just had to let all the medicine in my system filter out last night while I was sleeping. It's getting a bit better, day by day. I've checked the overdosing on the pills I'm taking and there aren't any really dangerous effects unless you're breastfeeding, pregnant, or have heart problems.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 pm

Some things you can do in the meantime are to gargle salt water, eat tonnes of garlic (unless you are getting surgery), and basically go the herbal route. Take vitamins - GOOD QUALITY because pharmacy vits don't absorb - and do all you can to boost your immune system right now. If it's not too painful, by the gods, OIL PULL.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:12 pm

I thought of something about a day ago. I have a necklace that I wear a lot of the time. I wear it because I love natural stones and precious/semi precious stones as jewelry. On this necklace is a piece of clear quartz, a piece of turquoise and an Apache tear that I placed a mount on. I did some research and found the properties of the three stones were, overall, something pretty good to take a hit at this gunk with. Started wearing my necklace, after cleansing it that is, and now I feel loads better.

I can't gargle; When I do I don't go far enough back and if I try, I end up choking. (My tonsils made my gag reflex even worse. I've 'breathed' water a few times now and sat and coughed until I cried.) Told mom about the vitamins, but I can't get ahold of anything better than those unless I go to a specialty shop. Oil pulling I might try... I've only got canola on hand though. (The olive oil is specifically for frying in this house.) I drank some tomato soup/juice and that helped get my appetite up. I wasn't eating for the first day or two after I came down.

Almost back to par to go back to classes, but my other tonsil decided to swell now so we'll see. Thanks for all the great information guys, I'm going to take notes and have them handy for the next time I get sick! :-D

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:01 am

Glad to hear you're a little better. It was a good idea to wear a quartz necklace, any blue stones are good too. Try to stay cheerful (easier said than done), it'll help you heal quicker. Can't believe you're going back to school so soon!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:49 am

I wouldn't recommend olive oil unless you really like the taste. Canola will do but the best is sunflower (a whopping $3 for a litre in most stores) or sesame. If you need any resources regarding oil pulling or have any questions, shout them out :) It draws out toxins from your mouth and body, as well as helps stimulate blood flow to that area. Win-win!

Glad you've found some relief and healing with help from the stone people. Be sure to cleanse them, recharge, and give them a bit of pampering. A day in the sunshine usually helps! :)

As for gargling, try making a ginger tea and sipping that slowly while still hot (not too hot), allowing it to run across the sore spots, or sucking on some candied ginger. Oregano oil is fantastic, too, but tastes awful... I wouldn't recommend this because of the inherant dangers involved, but what I do if I feel a sore throat coming on or any infection of sorts is dab some oregano oil diluted in a carrier oil (like olive) on the inflamed areas with a q-tip.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:10 am

Oh and if you're not vegan - have a spoonful of honey to sooth your throat. It's antiseptic and antibacterial. How are you feeling now Mahala?

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:03 pm

I did that. I love honey straight from the bottle. I'm feeling better, but if it's not one side, it's the other. My right tonsil isn't swelling or painful, but something on the left side is. I couldn't feel or see the left tonsil from inside or outside, so I don't know what's swollen. The cough I had got a bit worse and cost me a few hours of sleep last night. (I would have been back in school today. Mom's getting antsy about it. She asked me if I was going to drop out!) Mom didn't call in yesterday and she got the damn automated call saying "Your son or daughter has missedone1 or more classes at school today.". I was at home the entire time so no biggy. Oh, and I've still kept to wearing that necklace. I found a bunch of other stones I had in a box above my bed. (They always sit above my pillow for 'good luck'. Amethyst, jade, quartz, geode chips, turquoise, yellow turquoise, pink granite, pink quartz... and some other unique ones.)

On the other hand, last night I was trying to get a ride from my brother to the bookstore for another book and dad volunteered! He gave me the usual tidbit of advice, "Don't get into believing it... if I walk in when I come home and see you waving your fingers and mumbling I'll be worried." He's so funny. I figured out why he finally relented... dad figures I'm a big girl now and that if I can be mature about sex, drugs, alcohol and smoking that I'm old enough to learn about other stuff. He only said that if he sees me going out and buying a whole bunch of those books that he'll have to step in. (I seriously don't get more than $20 every 2-3 weeks. Books are gold to me!)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Man, those always suck! Something that I find does help is Ice Cream or Popsicles. Obviously natural or home-made are best, but either way I find that they numb the throat just a bit as you swallow (which makes subsequent bites easier), and that they do tend to reduce the swelling just a bit. Don't live on them, but those little freezies are live-savers when I get sick like that.

Keep buying those books! Books are gold, especially when you're sick. They hold the entire world within their pages... is is any surprise that they are so prized!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:25 pm

I was chewing on ice a few nights ago. It brought the swelling and pain down. I could always make my own popsicles... coat an ice cube lightly with honey. I've had those before, they're great when ice isn't appetizing. The honey is okay, but mostly coats my mouth. Very tasty. I had a slight relapse, I think this could be something a bit worse than I expected. No worries for right now though.