Picking a 'Flavor'? (Two years of learning)

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Picking a 'Flavor'? (Two years of learning)

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Arcanum Owl! I didn't realize I had left one up. I would have edited only the website out, but I cannot change the signatures, so I had to delete it.
Arcanum Owl wrote:Then really one does not require a religion to have their own faith, belief and practices. Religion is mean a set of practices, sort of like a template to follow. Several people on this board have heard me harp on this before, for me it works and it also means my life is governed by my own morale compass.
I fully agree. I do not have a religion, but a spirituality. Sometimes I feel it would be easier to have a religion with set codes and all that, but it doesn't ring true to my experience of the Divine. I'm Pagan, with many influences, but that's it. All the power to those who do have a religion, though
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

First Steps!

Post by Mahala » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:01 am

I have decided that, finally, enough was enough over this "You can't be some heathen!" crap my parents fed to me last year. I let it slide, so that now when it's quiet again, I can privately study. I went out and bought a book, as I mentioned in a post about my familiar. It's staying hidden under my mattress when not in use, so they won't find it and force me into a meeting with the bishop.

I've been on this forum since 2007, which would make this nearly two and 1/2 to three years I've been interested. Plus the potential that I can have religion and self-dignity makes it all the more enticing. (I love how Silver writes in her book that Pagans should not grovel before our deities - That's exactly how I felt! Nobody should be force-fed and slaved to their religion.)

Personally, I think it's time that as an almost-adult, I am old enough to choose what I want to do with my own life, with my own feelings, and with my own body. I feel more in tune with this way than with the way I was put on. The Lady and Lord will see me for who I am and now that I have finally chosen, they will (hopefully) give me the hints to the puzzle which I'm sitting before. They know who I am and need nothing but my love and devotion to help me where I'm at.

I should have done this a long time ago, but I've never needed the help so much as now. With the horse and school and all, I would like to have some counsel and guidance! :smt003 Thanks guys, for being so wonderful since I came here. It's always been comfortable here since I figured out that you didn't bite. I know I'm on the right path now, since I'm not 'staring at my feet' anymore.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:49 am

Aww Mahala good for you!!
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Congratulations, Malhala!

You know, I'd almost entirely forgotten that you hadn't "officially" settled on your path yet!

I guess that's how a good chunk of us do it though. I remember, I was on the fence for a few years, nearly 5 actually, where I couldn't figure out if this was my path or not. I felt it was a poor way to pay back my Grandmother, who I loved dearly, since she had been such a devote Christian.

I do remember that over-whelming sense of peace that hit me when I finally decided that I couldn't deny my heart any longer though.

Blessings on your decision... :GHug:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Something amazing happened recently! Remember how my parents were really not-too-pleased about my first dip into this subject matter? Well, it happened after I took mom with me to the book store. It was my last chance to get the second book I wanted before the week began, so I decided I'd take a risk. Even though I led mom to the New Age section, she didn't flip out, but only asked, "So that's the book you were after?" She kind of had a rude tone, but I asked if she'd feel any different were I studying Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity or Catholicism. She didn't make much more of a big deal about it.
Two days after that, on the way home from a friend's house where'd I'd been for a good part of the day helping clean up our tree house, my dad says to me, "So I heard you bought a book." We talked a bit and he asked if anything bad was in the books and I told him I hadn't read them yet. He took on a kind of rude tone (Heh, can't expect miracles...) and I told him that if he really didn't want me studying it, I'd give the books away. (Money is one solid thing. If I buy things, no matter how much they don't like it, they won't take them away or make me give them away.)
A few days later dad and I ended up chatting again and I told him the books had a few spells in them and he kind of got this "Oh-no!" look. It was almost funny, but I explained how spells are just a different interpretation of prayer. (Explained to mom how rituals are in EVERY religion, even if those religions won't acknowledge it. After all, Christmas IS a more Pagan tradition and we celebrate that every year in our family!)

Some divine being must desire me to be on this path, by showing me a way to go about it without conflict! :-D

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:54 pm

MALHALLA!!!!!!! That's fantastic!!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:
Crazy Healer Lady