The casting of the circle

All things wiccan...
Moonchyld
Level 1
Level 1

The casting of the circle

Post by Moonchyld » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:20 pm

I suppose you could say I'm sorta new to this religion and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to proply cast a circle. I get how to do the basic casting and what you need to do, I was just looking for some insight on how everyone else goes about it. What make you comfoterble, safe, makes your energys flow just right, etc. I myself go about it differently depending on how I feel that day. How about you?
You call me a witch like it's a bad thing. :3

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: The casting of the circle

Post by Kystar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:41 pm

There's really no hard and fast answer to this...b/c not everyone does the circle the same way. Sort of like no two people cook the same way.
Then again, not everyone casts a circle in the first place. I don't do rituals or anything in the sense that I need to cast a circle around my altar before I do a spell or call down a god/goddess. Heck, now that I think about it, I don't have an altar either.

The most I'll do is cleanse an area with smudge and quickly call the Elemental guardians to attend. That's about it. No circle of sand or salt, no candles at compass points lit in a pattern and then put out in an opposite pattern.

If I really want a protected circle, I'll slam my aura/energy out about three to five feet...it'll be round.

But, I don't really do anything that Ceremonial.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help. The best suggestion I could give is to read five books from five different authors and compare them. See which one method seems to speak to you the strongest.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:53 am

With the risk of repeating what Kystar said...research on the net and read some books, make comparisons and see whatever appeals to you! I don't cast circles but I highly suggest doing the circles as a form of protection because you're starting out. The cermony also focuses your energy and thoughts.

A generic :-o way to cast a circle would be:
prepare yourself by having a bath and put on some special robes or clean clothes, possibly white, but any colour that you feel is important

starting at the east, draw a circle clockwise in salt/chalk/pebbles, imagine energy flowing out of your hands or whatever tool you're using as you cast it. The 'circle' is often imagined more of a sphere reaching over you, the circle you've marked on the floor as the circumference

set up something that represents each of the elements in the four corners (there's a thread on this forum on how you designate elements to directions) for example an incense stick, a candle, a dish of water, a dish of earth.

clockwise ask each of the elemental guardians in turn to come and protect the circle (again, personally I would start with East and finish at North), lighting symbol or placing hands over. They will now 'inhabit' your symbol

after you've done what you wanted to do, thank any gods you've worked with, thank each of the elements in turn and be aware of them leaving, going anticlockwise extinguishing flames as you go. Erase the chalk or pick up the stones in an anticlockwise direction.

I'd keep a notebook as well to write down different ideas and later to be able to compare what you've done.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Moonchyld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moonchyld » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks, this helps alot. :3 :-D
You call me a witch like it's a bad thing. :3