What do we call ourselves for the rest of the world?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.

If you had to answer, what would you say your religious beliefs were to a stranger?

Pagan
58%
I would give the name of my specific tradition, such as Wiccan or Druid
17%
Witch
4%
Eclectic Solitary Pagan/Witch
4%
Other
17%

Total votes: 24

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:16 am

Wind Walker,

Comment Ca va? Je ne savais pas vous parlez Francais! Je Besion de pratique pour mes etudes.

To Kitsine,
I think I know how to ask if you need a shower....I had exchange students stay at my house a few years ago.
Syanora! (phonetic spelling sorry)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:56 am

Kitsune, try watching anime in japanese. Start with sub-titles and then move on to no subs just a japanese-english dictionary. So far it's been working, I can't speak it but I can piece together sentances if someone else is speaking it. Also, try flash cards with the dictionary, pick a word for the day and write it down on an index card, after a week quiz yourself. I know it sounds stupid and like something you do when your 5, but it really works. If you want a little more rewarding, try writting hiku's in japanese, drag out the dictionary and take an hour to relax and write something pretty. Just the same, try translating hiku's into english, there are plenty on-line to start with. To all those learning languages of ol' or even those of today, good luck!
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:13 pm

Kitsune, it is a very tough language to learn. Esp if you're not exposed to it every day.
I studied Japanese Language and Culture as my uni study. I still regret not spending my second year in Japan.....and by not reading/writing it everyday, i only have basic skills left.

Ganbatte!
/|\

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:20 pm

I do watch some of my anime in Japanese.

I was taking japanese in University for a year, but I was not very good at it even then.

I'm amazing with remembering cultural stuff, but the vocabulary stuff and the grammar stuff I'm useless at.

So I'm spending my time learning how to speak it in my free time...
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:49 pm

Willow wrote:Wind Walker,

Comment Ca va? Je ne savais pas vous parlez Francais! Je Besion de pratique pour mes etudes.
Ah oui, ca va. Et vous? j'ai besion de pratique aussi, mon francais... c'est affreux! J'apprend pour quatre ans.... err......
I learnt for four years at school but it's been another four years since I studied it or really used it at all. So my vocab and grammar are terrible! ;)
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:33 am

Yes, Daibanjo, I'm a Gog :-D Ydychi'n gwybod yr ardal Conwy? Rydwi'n dod o'r Penmaenmawr, 20 munud o'r pentre Conwy! I'm second language Welsh and unfortunately I speak it very rarely. I'm always afraid of talking myself into a maze and getting lost! With written Welsh it is much easier for me to understand, especially in posts like this where there is a time delay so I have enough time to compose my answer and make sure it says what I mean it to say! :-D

Languages is my favourite topic :-D I study Linguistics at the University of Wales, Bangor, and I hope to go into forensic linguistics once I've graduated.

Latin is pretty cool, Windwalker, there's something so mysterious about a dead language! I don't know much about Roman history in as far as it doesn't relate to the occupation of Britain, but it must be so fascinating to be able to read ancient documents and things. I'm interested in how ancient Egyptian would have sounded but as there are no vowels represented by hieroglyphs that road is a little barred to linguists at the moment.

I've learnt to pronounce some phonemes (units of sound) used in Japanese, like the first phoneme in 'Fuji' which is not an /f/ the way native English speakers would pronounce it. If you round your lips and blow through them making an 'oo' sound ( :-D ) at the same time, that's the right phoneme!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:32 pm

That's correct. It's almost pronounced more like an 'h' than you you would an 'f'.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What do we call ourselves for the rest of the world?

Post by Sìle » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Stormy wrote:Which begs the question - What should we call ourselves when asked by total or near total strangers?
I usually start with pagan. If the person I'm addressing then says "Oh, you're Wiccan", I respond with a negative and explain that I am a celtic/brythonic polytheist. Usually, they go quiet and leave it at that. :badgrin: