Fundy bus adverts. FINALLY a focused reply.

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Ragnar

Fundy bus adverts. FINALLY a focused reply.

Post by Ragnar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:27 am

I presume many of you here will have heard of the busses that have these Atheist messages on them, paid for by the U.S Humanist group or something?

There is now a back lash from the fans of desert peasent fairy story land. This appeared in one of the leading British news papers today;
Why run a bus advert to counter the American Humanist Association's (AHA) anti-God campaign? That's a good question. My first reason was a superficial one: for the fun of it. But the ads, which are running on buses in the Washington DC area and read "Why believe? Because I love you and I created you, for goodness sake – God", and feature the famous picture from the Sistine Chapel where God reaches out to touch Adam, didn't come cheap. I am not in the habit of raising $14,000 on a regular basis just for fun. There is a deeper reason that I and so many donors have been excited about our ad campaign: we have a forum in which to stand up and have our voices heard.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... s-religion
I wrote a replay, basically;
There is a deeper reason that I and so many donors have been excited about our ad campaign: we have a forum in which to stand up and have our voices heard.
Then you have wasted your money.

There is virtually NO member of Government, or police, or the justice system, or local councils, or newspaper editors, or....or.... that are NOT bloody "christian" in the Western, and increasingly in the far Eastern world.

YOUR shower have had your say for nearly 2,000 bloody YEARS. You have dictated the laws, you have made the policies of Governments, you have dictated your will through the legal system, you have edited out counter discussion in your media, you have burned hundreds of thousands at the stake, or you have drowned countless numbers in village ponds, you have pressed, tortured, hung, drawn and quartered MILLIONS of people, MERELY because they were suspected of dissagreeing with your religion.

For you to now turn around and claim you "wish to be heard" is frankly laughable.

Quite pleased with that even if I say so myself ( :lol: ), for it is something that has been formulating in my mind for AGES, but would JUST not come into the clear. It just snapped into focus this morning.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Re: Fundy bus adverts. FINALLY a focused reply.

Post by Willow » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:27 pm

Fundies forget that though, they think they are persectuted and the world is against them and satan is out to get them.

Forget 1700 years of priviledge.

Good on ya!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:04 am

They keep trying to find me, and to have me "accept jesus and the word of god". They've been unsuccessful so far :-D
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:34 am

"Have YOU found Jesus?"
"Why are we playing hide and seek again?"

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:19 am

Hubby usually says, "He was behind the couch last time, looking for the catnip ball. Why, did you lose him again?"
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Same spirit!

Well done that man! ;) :-D

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:11 am

Yeah, he's a keeper, definitely. sometimes our senses of humor don't mesh, but on the big things, they do.

I once responded to that "Finding Jesus" thing with: "He was walking his way down the Mon river last time I looked. I'm sure if you hurry, you can catch him!" (For those who don't know, the Monongahela river ~ or Mon for natives~ is one of the two rivers that flank Pittsburgh, joining with the Allegheny River to form the Ohio, or as we call it, the Point.) It seemed to baffle the guy, as I calmly wandered off. :-) \:D/

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:17 am

In the OLD days I always had a sticker on my computer;

"Jesus saves, but Ollivetti is word perfect".

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 am

Ahhh. Does any one besides me REMEMBER "Word perfect"? :oops:

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 am

We talking computer program Word Perfect? B/c I hated it with a passion!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:49 am

THAT'S the very one.

And it WASN'T. But the play on words was O.K. :-D

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:31 pm

I remember word perfect...ugh, glad to be rid of that.

I will definitely keep those little retorts in my pocket.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:42 pm

I have WordPerfect X3 and I love it!!! Hate the older versions with a passion, though.

Kystar, great line! I'll have to remember that, and replace the "Mon River" with "Fraser River."
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:33 am

We HAVE fundies here, but they are not allowed to preach in, or to approach, the public.

Joey witnesses DO come around, but VERY rare, and Mormons I HAVE seen two, about five years ago on the train.

You quite often get the odd Joey standing on the street holding up a copy of "watchtower", (Wachturm). But they are only allowed to speak to the public when the public approach them. Otherwise you can report them for "public nuisance", and with a few other small things "insulting your personal religion".

Greenpeace, and the Red Cross, and things like them can set up stalls on the street (with permission) and canvas signatures on petitions, or "solicit alms" (Begging basically), but religious groups can not, and ALL groups are forbidden from stopping people to "propogand-ise" them.

That is VERY basic. There are all kinds of little loop holes for political and environmetal groups, or similar, there are also one or two for religious groups. But you would need a Philidelphia lawyer to sort out which was applicable and which would land youin the mire up to your bottom lip.

It IS actualy a protection for THEM as well. It means that a member of the public has to approach THEM. Therefore any insult MUST then be deliberate.

Imagine a street in, say, down town Milwaukee. "Pssst...wanna buy ... watchtower?" :glasses5:

You turn around and :laughing3: :smt013 :censored: :censored: :smt067 then you can claim "he obstructed/accosted/whatever'd me so I defended my right to freedom of thought. In Germany you do NOT have the excuse "he accosted me with crap I don't believe in and do not want to hear". In fact YOU deliberately, in law, set out to provoke by approaching THEM.

HOWEVER, they knock on your door, and THAT is all blown away in the wind, it is free rain to say what you like.....within SOME restrictions.

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:29 am

I wish they had that here in the states.... christian propoganda is EVERYWHERE!!!

Sometimes i want to reach into the tv (when the news is on usually, biased peices of *censored*) and just :rock: :banghead: :violent3: :violent2: :smt066 :smt067 :smt068 :smt070 :smt071 :smt075 :tfrag: :minigun: :gib: :chain: :rip: :snipe:
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll