Some people are just plain ignorant

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Some people are just plain ignorant

Post by Paganlight » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:17 am

When I first came across this site, I sincerely hoped it was some sort of joke. But I was wrong. They're just plain ignorant.

I first came across it when I was doing some research on Anne Boleyn, she being one of my favourite Tudors and I wanted to refresh my memory. I'm pretty proud of my knowledge of Tudor history, and some of the remarks this site was making struck me as....well....see for yourself.

Claim one:
"Saint (??) Anne Boleyn was the only Queen of England to be unjustly condemned and beheaded"
WRONG! If you're talking about Tudors, just look at Catherine Howard. And in fact, there's no evidence to support the claim that Anne was unjustly condemned either. Sure, some of the charges were false (there is no evidence that she had six fingers), but DID she have an affair with Smeaton? DID she commit incest with her brother George? We'll never truly know. And that's the first time I've ever heard her canonized.

Claim two:
"Henry (VIII) became King as a beardless boy of 18. His father, Henry Tudor, was poisoned to make way for the son to usurp the throne."
EVIDENCE??? Why not also suggest he killed his brother???

Anyway, these led me to have a look at the rest of the site.... and just look at some of the things I upturned....talk about ignorance.

Claim three: The earth does not rotate.
How thick can you get? Here's the full page, including some more ridiculous claims like the Earth is not at an angle like all scientists now believe, but is 'upright, as God intended man to walk upright', and that the sun orbits the earth, not the other way around. This is going back to medieval thinking! Next they'll be saying that it's a disc! http://www.reformation.org/stationary-earth.html
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Dancing Elf
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Some people are just plain ignorant

Post by Dancing Elf » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:02 pm

i completely agree with your argument, some people are just ignorant.

too bad i cnt provide some examples at the moment but i do have some at the back of my mind it is just that i cant really remember exactly what the "ignoramous" said :-k :-k :-k man what was it ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
I dance with the dreams of mankind and fight with the nightmares of allkinds

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Some people are just plain ignorant

Post by Bandersnatch » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 am

I have to say, I have been seeing a lot more of this lately - everywhere I go.

Maybe the chaos of the world is rubbing off and instead of moving ahead people are trying to go back...too far back. :axe:

I laugh but its starting to get a little scary.