Twilight Series

Love to read? Share your books, ideas, thoughts, etc.
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Twilight Series

Post by Mahala » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:47 pm

I think I may go out and buy all three some time... they're great books and despite my (at first) hatred of them, they make for good re-reading. I wonder if they'll put them in a series box? Meh, but what I've read of the last book is GOOD. It's going to be another home run! And I can't wait to see the movie, it comes out right after my sweet sixteen!

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Twilight Series

Post by Lotus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:34 pm

I picked up the first book and am on page 115 thus far. It seems kind of girly at first but has captured my attention enough to finish it.
I've heard that people either find it really good or really "gay." Seems kind of interesting that she can smell blood. Yes, it does seem very curious. :-k

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 pm

My problem with this series is that you know the ending before you even get halfway through. And although she writes Edward wonderfully, she doesn't write very well for other characters, unless they happen to be talking to Edward, in which case they're hilarious (Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner! :lol:)

In my opinion this book (and it's series, since I've also read the second book, New Moon is it?) has only one purpose on this earth... And that is to convince me that if this book can make it big and have a movie made of it, then obviously my book will make millions, since I'm a much better writer than she is (at least in my own opinion... Heck, I already have people who have said they would buy my book just from reading a 2 page prolouge! I think I'm doing well!).
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:05 am

I sometimes wonder how some people get published at all. And then I remember agents, and the fact that once you get ONE book published, it is significantly easier to get the second and onward in the door and published.

Just that first one, Kitsune! We can do it!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:53 am

IMHO... Salvatore, Tolkien and the classic writers do it better. (Though they basically ransacked each other's ideas! Lmao...)

She's a 'Good Mormon girl' and some ask why would such person be writing about vampires! Puah, Utah could use some positive people, we seem to be the 'Poly-ville' of the west anymore to people.
Last edited by Mahala on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:31 am

Thus far this book is better than The Darkest Night of the Year by a very well known author.
It seems more childish than the HP series and that was targeted towards children. Rowling is a better author.
As for R.A. Salvatore, I have had some issues with his writting. I have read nearly his whole series about dark elves and the Cleric one. His characters change personalities like they have a personality disorder, sometimes.
I've always thought that Elane Cunningham was the better TSR author.

The Twilight series seems to be fluff that someone reads just to pass time. That is exactly what I am using it for.
*taunting* Writers always think their work is better than everyone elses...... ;) :-" *taunting*

Stephen King is, and will always be, one of my favorite current authors. He hits and misses as well. When he hits he hits hard and when he misses he misses hard. So, his work either really blows or is really wonderful.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:54 pm

Mmm... And he does some minor errors I picked up... Rowling is good with books, I love the Harry Potter series. The books mesh together so well it's uncanny.

I haven't noticed any personality changes besides Wulfgar's, and even then, it's pretty explainable. Stephen King I should look into, I've heard much about his books. I think I've read one of Elane's, not sure. It was a female author though, some years ago. I can't remember that or the title, other than is was something about a girl, a murderer, and a dead Spanish woman.

Fluff is what it is, it doesn't really take much mental ability to follow it. I sometimes almost gave up on it other than the library at our school only carries outdated books that are only two days of reading for me. (I look for 1" to 3" thick novels by rule of thumb.) And I know anyone could write better than myself, though some of what I do is amazing, much of it is just junk IMO. I'm good enough that someone carbon-copied my character and re named her for themselves though, man did that irk me!

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Mahala wrote:IMHO...Tolkien and the classic writers do it better.
I used to get yelled at in my one LARP for saying that Tolkien was the best cure for insomnia I knew of. :lol:

The game had started as re-enactments of the battles in the books...and when there was all the hype about the movies (Three movies about WALKING! Even the TREES walked in those movies! *Kevin Smith rant quote*)...they were pushing the Tolkien angle just as hard as they could. To have a player in the game say at a major event that they didn't truly care about Tolkien was sacrilege in their minds. When asked "Then why are you here?" I answered, "Where else can I put on a gypsy costume and smack people with fake swords? Besides, I'm a theatre major. You don't have to like Tolkien to like LARP'ing." :badgrin:
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:43 pm

I can't argue at all with that. Tolkien is a very tiring writer. An excellent set of books, but his I ever have to read Tom Bombadil singing again, I swear, I will kill someone.

On the other hand, a friend of mine made an excellent observation, "Well, at least all that descriptive text has a purpose finally." :lol:

He's a good writer, just not the sort that I would usually spend my time reading.

And yes... Every writer believes that they write better than anyone else, Malhala! That's the whole point of the ego... It makes us believe things that aren't true, so that we're willing to embarress ourselves publicly, thereby providing entertainment for the masses. :lol: ](*,) :badgrin:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:30 am

Tom Bombadil Tom Bombadilly! I don't care if his singing is silly! Hi Ho long waits the Hill-hi-hilly, to hear the singing of Tom Bombadil Tom Bombadilly!!

Madness! He is the essence of earth before good and evil cam to Middle Earth. All the great ones are crazy ^.^;

Tom Bombadil is my hero! I'd love to go traipsing through the wild woods to sing to the trees, and freak travellers out. Tom was an intriguing healer, too. I love how Tolkein was very much aware of very powerful healing techniques, although perhaps everyone was and only in the last generation has it waned. Tom made the hobbits run naked in the sun after near death by the Wights, and Aragorn walked through the Otherworlds to call those in the war back from the land of the dead. And the ents!! Even if much of the movie was walking, which I enjoy anyway, the characters and events are redeeming.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:50 am

I think you misunderstood me, Crazy... The way Tom Bombadil acts is fine, as is his character. Heck I don't even mind that he was crazy, that just added an extra dimension to him. :lol:

My issue comes with the 3-5 pages of "singing" complete with obscure points, and nonsensical rhyming problems. And Tolkien does it with every character who sings. Most times it doesn't matter who's singing... They all "sound" exactly the same. There is no character development in having them sing their obscure points, over just saying it. Honestly, my opinion, Sing for a page, or a verse... Not the entire song!

Or at least, that's how I look at it... :oops:

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:22 am

My issue with Tolkien was the three plus pages describing some little back woods place they'd visit once in the journey and maybe three paragraphs about an epic fight for their lives against the forces of evil. Or maybe a page on a battle and three describing a two-bit character that shows up once to push the plot along, but then doesn't show up ever again.

Then again, I may have gotten a badly edited copy. Do they even abridge Tolkien, though? Or is that considered a crime in literary circles?

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Kystar wrote: I may have gotten a badly edited copy. Do they even abridge Tolkien, though? Or is that considered a crime in literary circles?
I would consider it a crime!!

I'm not sure that they do abridge Tolkien, though. That would be interesting. I consider most abridging of literary work succumbing to the increasing number of individuals who cannot give their attention to something that isn't flashy and seizure-causing for more than five minutes.

I enjoy the fullness that Tolkien gives to his imaginary world by describing the "two-bit" characters - they all have some part to play in the downfall of Sauron, or in the lives of the heros. I get bored following only a few people around - I like the random person here or there show up, if only for a break. I am trying to remember some characters of Tolkien's that don't play a necessary role in the LOTR story. I can see how some would not be missed, however.

Then again I speak from only reading two of his works. I have yet to pick up The Silmarillion or others again.

Now, the poems/songs... Tolkien originally wrote the Ring books for his son. And you know kids: appreciative of nonsensical lyrics. Then again, he's English. ;) (this is an attempt to somehow call a certain English brown-eyed lady back to the boards to defend her nation)

I do want to note that I really don't think it's a crime if others don't like Tolkien. However, since he is my favourite fantasy writer (and was before Leet-ness permeated Middle Earth, or at least before I was aware of others even hearing of Tolkien) don't expect me not to defend what I can of his writing ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Abridging the classics is sometimes necessary because there were periods in literary history where the authors were paid by the page or the word...so they strrove to make their works as long as possible.

For example...I once read an unabridged copy of "Les Miserables", marking the pages on the edge with highlighter when they wandered so far from the main plot that you didn't know what was going on...and found almost 150-200 pages of character development for a character who doesn't need it. We don't NEED the Bishops entire LIFE STORY! We just need it established that he considered lying a sin and was known throughout his province as the most honest man alive. We don't NEED the entire history of a thief who shows up for two sentences and dies at the end of them.

Establishing the secondary characters is necessary to make the world vibrant, but do you really need ten pages of back story for someone who's only there to point the main character in the right direction? I just think it goes too far sometimes with some authors. Yes...you need to establish why they're there and give the reader a reason to care about them...but you also need to focus on the plot points.

For example...my favorite Author, David Eddings, has a fantasy series called "the Belgariad", in which a young man grows up to learn he was the prophesied Godslayer. During his journey to A - recover a stolen magical artifact, and B - learn of who and what he was, you met a lot of secondary characters. There are people like Kings and Knights and wizards that you cross paths with in a few scenes, who have slight parts to play later. Supporting cast. Eddings shows you enough to LIKE the character (Or hate, really), but he doesn't tell you more than the Hero (Garion) learns. He doesn't reverse time to give you their life up to this point, like what you got in Les Miserables. Or he doesn't shuffle you sideways to overload you with facts about them that aren't relevant to what's going on NOW. Later, you might find out more, but NOW, you get what you need to understand NOW'S events. One of my favorite characters in that series is a king you see here and there...but not often. He's the king of the viking like race, the Chereks, and his name is Anheg. He's big, burly, loud, arrogant, and more intelliegent than 60% of his subjects put together. Another is Queen Poren, the Queen of the Spies, really. There's a race called Drasnians that turned information gathering into the National Profession. Poren is a beautiful blond lady with a slight, delicate build who has more political power than anyone in her kingdom short of her husband because SHE was the one to ORGANIZE the information. But you don't find that out until at least the end of the 4th book...b/c you don't need to know.

I guess it boils down to a difference in likes, actually. I love epic fantasy and mythology, but don't necessarily love how convoluted some people make it out to be. If you boil any epic fantasy down to its bones, all it is, truly, is a fairy tale. It just got fattened up and dressed in strange costumes to make it more "grand".

but, as always, this is MY OPINION...so meh, no big thing if you don't like it.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:35 pm

I hate filler pages. I read the Princess Bride and amazingly... even the abridged version is full of gunk! I like Salvatore and Rowling best because they work like rowing a boat... every scene is another step or two and often reading one chapter is good enough for me to understand that part of the plot. I don't need to sit there and read the whole first quarter of the damn thing to get what's going on. (Unlike the last time I read Tolkien.)

Tolkien has prowess as a writer, but I doubt he ever re-read his works... they're good, yes, but not exactly for people who aren't severely dedicated. (I once read a seven-book set on the Revolutionary War. Now, I'm a Rev. War nut... xD) If I think one of my chapters is fluffy, I'll either edit it and tailor it, or I'll save it and just pass on to try a second time and decide later which makes the final cut. (My friend told me I wrote the shortest Romeo and Juliet he's ever seen, lol. One page.)

Then there are the writer's that make NO sense whatsoever, like the guy who wrote Carnivore. I read eight pages and I was like... What in the world?