Job: A Comedy of Justice

Love to read? Share your books, ideas, thoughts, etc.
Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Job: A Comedy of Justice

Post by Bandersnatch » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:34 am

On a lighter note. Anyone looking for a humorous summer read should give this book a try. Its called Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heinlein. I read it a few years ago and I was laughing so hard I cried in some spots. Here's a summary:
After that fire-walking gig in Polynesia, the whole world was suddenly changed around him. Instead of fundamentalist minister Alexander Hergensheimer, he was now supposed to be Alec Graham, an underworld figure in the middle of an affair with his stewardess Margrethe - who was the only good thing in the whole mess.

Then there was an impossible iceberg that wrecked the ship in the tropics. Rescued by a Royal Mexican plane, they were hit by a double earthquake. From then on, as changed world followed changed world, things went from bad to worse.

To Alex, all the signs increasingly pointed to Armageddon and the Day of Judgment. And Margrethe was a determined heathen. Somehow he had to bring her to a state of grace, for Heaven would be no paradise without her. But time was growing short.

Somewhere, there had to be a solution to it all. And, of course, there was. But it was truly a Hell of a solution.
from The Internet Book List

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Job: A Comedy of Justice

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:36 pm

I absolutely loved this book and my copies (1 paperback, 1 hardcover) are both well-worn. Minor Spoiler, but it is especially recommended to our Norse followers here because the All-Father makes an cameo appearance at the end.

But Heinlein is in fine form - irreverent humour, blatant sexuality and all. Note, like most of his mainstream books, not for the little ones of say preteen age. He did write many Young Readers novels, this ain't one of them.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.