Drizzt - R. A. Salvatore

Love to read? Share your books, ideas, thoughts, etc.
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Drizzt - R. A. Salvatore

Post by Mahala » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Whether you've heard of Drizzt Do'Urden or not, these books by R. A. Salvatore is, in my eyes... like Rowling's Harry Potter series. A satisfying fantasy read, but not for the faint of heart. (Mild violence, gore, sex and strong language... )

The Legend of Drizzt, Collector's Ed. Book One
It's 936 pages long and consists of three books:
Homeland
Exile
Sojourn

The Legend of Drizzt, Collector's Ed. Book Two
It's 1,016 pages long and consists of three books:
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halfling's Gem

The three books in each large hardcover are bound as one with no separators other than titles pages and preludes. Each of the books in both of the hardbacks are separated into up to five parts, and then into up to 25-27 chapters. The pace set is thrilling, I had a hard time putting this book down, but that's a good sign! There are plenty of battle scenes, and even if you have little understanding of swordplay, it's very simple. And then again, if you know little of drow... I've learned much more from this than from any one site, about drow and their likes.

They cost me a total of around $60, $29 for each book, and they're absolutely worth it. I would re-read them and I probably will sometime next year in school.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:08 pm

I have one of his books, but I have been having problems getting through it... Hmmm, perhaps I'll have to try reading it again. Personally, I was more entranced by the SpellFire series than I have been with Drizz't.

On the other hand, It's an excellent world to play in, and that's the truth.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:28 pm

I'm glad to own all of those you've mentioned (as the original books and a lot more too) :-D

If you check out Salvatore's Wiki, you'll find a lot more of his books (esp the "Cleric Quintet" is worth reading ;) )
/|\

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:04 am

As I've heard only good things on the Cleric quintet, I can't argue. The world is wonderful and very intelligently put together.

What other books from Gaming worlds do you read?

I still have my original set of Dragons_____ from the Dragonlance Saga... :oops:

Yep... I'm a Geek.

Has anyone ever read any of the ShadowRun books? Some of them are expertly written, and they generally have very intelligent characters.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:50 pm

I've seen all of his books and I intend to buy many more before I am fully done... I'm half through book two now and I LOVE IT! It's got a lot of words I don't know too well, a sign that it's not too easy for me. (I hate easy books, where's the fun if no challenge??)

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Drizzt - R. A. Salvatore

Post by underlilith » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:34 am

all of the Drizzt series are excellent! I like the Sellswords series (same author) better though.
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Still waiting to buy the Pirate King. Phoo, it just came out and it's $20+ !

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:36 pm

Mahala wrote: ... it just came out and it's $20+ !
Be thankful you pay under $20 for some of your books on your side of the world. Any book, be it paperback, tradeback, or hard cover, is always well and truly over $20 here in Oz. Hate it so much ... I could get the last 3 books (in hardcover) of a series I'm reading from the US for the same price as one hardcover book here ... I hate it >< lol. /end rant.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Sapphire
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Taurus

Post by Sapphire » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:20 am

I've read the first three and I loved the general concept of the series. However, I found that the plot gets a little predictable - just judging by that which I have read, which I know is a very unfair thing to do - as Drizzt finds a father in Zaknafein, only to have him taken away by his mother, and then a mentor in Mooshie, who subsequently dies. According to my Significant Other, the plots of the next books don't follow quite the same theme, as Drizzt manages to find a group of friends(?) and stick with them; so do they end up like the Harry Potter series, with every mentor and hero of the main character being removed until the poor benighted lad has to make his own way in the world for once, or do they get better?

Sapphy
Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens ~
Douglas Jerrold

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:07 pm

I can hardly remember all of both series now that I think of it. Doh. But yes, Drizzt ends up with a gang of friends, but at one time he believes them all dead. A sort of rift forms in them, it's real complex.