Paganism and the Death Penalty

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.

What are your views on the Death Penalty?

It should be banned and never used!
29%
I don't like it, but don't care if it remains on the books or not.
8%
It should be used in only the most extreme cases like Serial killings.
25%
It should be available for all murder cases.
17%
Hang 'em All; Hang 'em High!
21%

Total votes: 24

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:33 am

I have to say I can see both sides of the fence and I guess I'm firmly stuck sitting on it.

And I do know in some cases it is just not feasible to have a criminal make restitution to the victims but in many cases there might be some real value in doing so. Serial killers and child molesters never will see the harm they do and could never begin to repair the damage done but they are a minority. Most criminals are young, stupid and just make really bad choices.

Our society does not make people personally responsible and so many criminals never really take responsibility for what they have done. In fact, most spend a lot of time blaming everyone else for their rotten lives and feel society owes them.

Maybe if they had to owning up to what they are responsible for they might think twice about the harm they cause to others.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:15 am

Our society does not make people personally responsible and so many criminals never really take responsibility for what they have done. In fact, most spend a lot of time blaming everyone else for their rotten lives and feel society owes them.

Maybe if they had to owning up to what they are responsible for they might think twice about the harm they cause to others.
=D> =D>

Very true. A child gets an "F" in school, or punches a classmate, and it's their troubled home, their teacher's lesson plan, society. An adult horrifically kills a child, and it's his mental conditioning, his troubled home, the lesson plan his teachers had when he was young, or society.

I recently saw in the news that a band of 3rd graders had a plot to "punish" their teacher. It was discovered before they could carry it out, but it was well planned and organized. Among confiscated items were electrical tape, handcuffs, and a broken steak knife. Now, these kids, so far as I know, are being held responsible, as three are already being charged with conspiracy, agrivated assault, and possession of a weapon.

What happened to tacks on the chair or salt in the teacher's coffee?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:38 pm

I remember once I had a teacher I very strongly disliked in school, and a friend of mine and I always talked of putting a tapeworm in her coffee, but I never did that, But I did use whoopie cushions a couple of times. Those were fun.

But Yeah it's ridiculious.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:01 pm

Since as a society we're told that we don't have to take responsibility for ourselves, things are definately going downhill (in my estimation, at least).

Even then, I feel bad, because I know that I've been brought up to be part of the problem! :oops:

How many of us simply giggle and laugh when Bart Simpson says "I didn't do it" and feel pleased at how he didn't get in trouble (unless of course, it's Homer who finds him, and then he gets strangled regardless!)... :-?

It's certainly a perplexing problem, and there's no one thing to point the blame at, although it would be easier if there were.

I think, that when I have a child, I'm simply going to have to work hard to teach the little bugger that he must take responsibility for his actions! I'll clean this world up, one small child at a time if I must. :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:53 pm

My hubby at one point said to take the stupid moron warning labels off of everything...basically, if you're stupid enough to try to do something you're not supposed to with something...you deserve the consequences.

I mean, for gods' sake...a woman burns herself on McDonald's Coffee...and sues for like mega millions. Um...last I checked, unless it's an ICED LATTE, coffee's HOT. But it's not HER fault that the coffee burned her legs! Oh NO! It's THEIR fault for not putting the little "Caution: Contents HOT" label on the cup so she knew not to put it in between her legs in the car!

Okay...so small example...but definitely one of the "no responsibility" cases.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

MaryE101
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MaryE101 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:18 am

I don't know...this is one of those topics that is always conditional and is different for every case. Personally though, if I was faced with the option of a life sentance with no chance of perole or death....I'd take death. I think a lifetime of inaction and pointlessness is less humane that just killing criminals. What might be a better solution is to ask the criminal - lifetime with no chance to get out or quick death? Both are aufull punishments so it would still serve its purpose.

Mary E
"Our strength is often composed of the weaknesses we're damned if we're going to show." - Mignon McLaughlin

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:23 pm

You know I think that is the problem; there is no one solution to the problem. We, as a society try to make one size fit all, and that just doesn't work.

Maybe someday we will wise enough, but until then I guess we just limp along and do what we can.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:18 am

Bandersnatch wrote:You know I think that is the problem; there is no one solution to the problem. We, as a society try to make one size fit all, and that just doesn't work.

Maybe someday we will wise enough, but until then I guess we just limp along and do what we can.
You know, that is probably the most sensible "solution" I have heard in a long time.

Why did I not think of it????

Na, my mind is elsewhere at the moment, the white knight is talking backwards and the red queen is "off with her head", and I remember what the door knob said.

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:52 am

Na, my mind is elsewhere at the moment, the white knight is talking backwards and the red queen is "off with her head", and I remember what the door knob said.
Ragnar, have I found a fellow Lewis Carroll fan?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Try Jefferson Airplane.

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:22 am

Where do you think they got it from?

I'm sorry, I'm addicted to nonsense \:D/

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 pm

Bandersnatch wrote:Where do you think they got it from?
Obviously.

But the ORIGIONAL was not what I was quoting.

unrealraven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unrealraven » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:42 pm

i have to say we are way to nice to the criminals in the USA cable tv, a place to work out, more and better food then 25% or more of the USA, and most of all a place to sharpen there skills in how to do more crimes and learn how to avoid getting busted so easy.

lets face it the nicer we are to the criminals the more there are of them. the constitution allows for the death penalty and even to remove a arm or hand, but right now the death penalty is 15 to 20 years if not more of eating 3 times a day, home (well prison) schooling that can get them a P.H.D., and in gen live better then allot of ppl. They can run gangs that can make money in side and out side the jail, kill ppl again in side and out side jail, and so much more all on the tax payers money.

if the criminals payed a high price for crimes and in a way that allot of ppl could see or tell there would be allot less criminals in the USA. i say use the 3 strikes rule. 3rd strike is death (not counting rapers) thats allot nicer then nature is. as for rapers i say tie and stake them on the 50 yard line at half time and sale tickets for $5 for 5 mins with a baseball bat

. . . sorry a bit long winded but this is a topic that hits a nerve on me as for the questions asked

Does your religion have a stance on the Death Penalty? no
What is it? if a animal is a danger to its pack it is ether killed or ran off
What are your feelings about this stance? fine
Will this stance or your feelings affect your ability to be impartial? no

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:48 pm

First, welcome to the board. You've decided on a controversial subject for your first. Not a judgement just an observation.
Tell me, before I respond, do you consider your view to be justice or revenge?
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:03 pm

unrealraven wrote:ithe constitution allows for the death penalty and even to remove a arm or hand,
Sorry, I am confuded because I thought you werre talking of the U.S.

OBVIOUSLY I was mistaken and you live in Saudi, or somewhere sandy like that.

If you are talking about the U.S with that comment, I want to see evidence that the U.S allows army and hands to be removed as punishment.

Because basically I think that is a load of :censored: :pottytrain5: