Usefull refernce for British site members.

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Ragnar

Usefull refernce for British site members.

Post by Ragnar » Mon May 12, 2008 1:04 pm

Hey you lot.

This site;

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/y ... elief.aspx

May be usefull to you if you come accross any discrimination.

It explains what a religion, under U.K law is, what can be counted as descrimination etc.

May be of help to some one. Not that we havew many Brits around. But Who knows...ONE day. :-D

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon May 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Thanks Ragnar...I have to say, I love that you refer to us as "You lot' It reminds e of a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Army who used to affectionately refer to us as miserable little maggots, MLM's for short.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue May 13, 2008 2:40 am

:lol:

That would be "You 'orrible lot". :-D

My favourite Sergeant major was C.S.M Smith (Company Sergeant major) of the Royal Military police, later RSM (Regimental Sergeant major) of Sandhurst. (Britain's equivalent of West Point).

His introduction to new recruits;

"Good morning you 'orrible shower. My name is Smith, B-A-S-T-A-R-D, Smith!" (With a volume that probably served as an alarm call to FRANCE).

Met him after he had retired. GREAT guy.

Some one who had lieutenant Colonels crying on the parade square, was every ones IDEAL Grandfather.

Just goes to show, you can never tell a man by his job.

Seawitch
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Usefull refernce for British site members.

Post by Seawitch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:07 am

Maybe the name comes with the job.....in the 1970's the longest serving soldier in the Royal Green Jackets was also a Sergeant-Major Smith!, but not in the appointment of C.S.M ...he was in charge of the officers mess , so he didn't need to shout.....the evil eye was good enough, and as the Royal Green Jackets famously had black buttons, there was no brass to fend the evil eye off as a horse Brass would also! =;
BB
Seawitch

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:16 am

Seawitch wrote:Maybe the name comes with the job.....in the 1970's the longest serving soldier in the Royal Green Jackets was also a Sergeant-Major Smith!, but not in the appointment of C.S.M
ell he must be either C.S.M or R.S.M.
...he was in charge of the officers mess , so he didn't need to shout.
A DREAM job really. Live like an officer, without the responsibilities. :roll:
as the Royal Green Jackets famously had black buttons,
They still do, even though now (2005) they have been amalgamated.

* The 1st Battalion Royal Green Jackets became 2nd Battalion, The Rifles
* The 2nd Battalion Royal Green Jackets became 4th Battalion, The Rifles
* the surviving Territorial Army companies of 4 & 5 RGJ, along with a company of the RGBW became 7th Battalion, The Rifles.

All rifle regimants wear the black buttons, since Napoleonic times, and MAYBE a bit before.

Also, wlcome to the boards.

God to see some more Eropeans around. :-)

Seawitch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Seawitch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Ragnar wrote:ell he must be either C.S.M or R.S.M.
No, no.......these are appointments, not the rank, he could have been a QMSI or a GSM as well remember?
CSM....Company Sergeant Major....a WO2
RSM....Regimental Sergeant Major..a WO1

Seawitch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Seawitch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Ragnar wrote:All rifle regimants wear the black buttons, since Napoleonic times, and MAYBE a bit before.
Yes, we pinched the idea of the Germans 8-)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:06 am

Seawitch wrote:
Ragnar wrote:ell he must be either C.S.M or R.S.M.
No, no.......these are appointments, not the rank, he could have been a QMSI or a GSM as well remember?
CSM....Company Sergeant Major....a WO2
RSM....Regimental Sergeant Major..a WO1
DAMN, I am getting old. Of COURSE you are correct. O.K I would take a guess that being in charge of the mess he would be a QMSM? (Quater master Sergeant Major for those who are reading but have no military back ground. ;) )
Yes, we pinched the idea of the Germans 8-)
In German they are known as "Jäger" battalions. And wear/WORE the traditional German hunting dress.

Kings German leigion, who wore Brunswick green and black buttons (spherical as well, which sometimes ther re-enctors forget!), and the Brunswich Light infantry, who wore the same, were THEORETICALLY British at the time. As George III was king of Hanover and...Brunswick, or was it only Prince of Brunswick....(?). Na ja, they were paid for by the British war chest any way.

The 95th* rifles, (Of Bernard Cornwall "Sharpe" fame), were, I believe the first Rifle/L.I regiment formed on British MAINLAND soil. They were also one of the forerunners to the RGR. And wore the same uniform as the KGL/Brunswick lights.

* 95 refers to their place in the regimental pecking order, it does NOT mean they were the 95th regiment to be formed, OR that there were 94 other Regiments that were "rifles". (Sorry Seawitch, I know I am teaching my Granny to suck eggs with you, but we are not the only ones reading this, and SOME are...."American" and "U.S" at THAT! And, therefore need the history lesson. :roll: :lol: ;) )

Oh. By the way, I am putting some photo's in the gallery in a few minutes of me and the regiment at Fehrbellin a couple of weeks ago.

You MAY be interested. ;)

Seawitch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Seawitch » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:52 am

Ragnar wrote: O.K I would take a guess that being in charge of the mess he would be a QMSM? (Quater master Sergeant Major for those who are reading but have no military back ground. ;) )
Actually, in this case another incedent of someone over ranked in appointment, so no special pre fix.
You get the occasional Sgt/Major doing a sergeant or Staff sergeants job as here, either because they couldn't demote the person or they promoted anyway to keep them on board.

I certainly know about Jaeger green, I had the 'Orts Jaeger ' in the same building as me in Rhiendahlen, but I didn't know so much about that point.
'Rogers Rangers' and the 'Ist American Rifles' were also ancestor to the Royal Green Jackets.
Rifleman and Rifle Regiment BTW is as appossed to smooth Muskets....early rifles were Muskets with rifling in the barrel, much more accurate and longe ranged , but much harder and slower to load than smooth bore weapons of the day, given some ungentlemanly jobs like shooting French Officers.....bad! No bicuit!
But it's interesting that I have found a friend here in London who served in the Green Jackets, and met a former Corporal who is now a Wiccan, and the Mother of a serving Green Jacket was a witch.
Theres still remarkably few Wiccans/Witches in the British forces compared to the U.S army....needs attention!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:02 am

Seawitch wrote:.early rifles were Muskets with rifling in the barrel, much more accurate and longe ranged ,
Yup. I have a Baker.