666 for a Month

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

666 for a Month

Post by Librarian » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Here's a little something to drive your favorite fundie wild!
World Population to Hit 6,666,666,666 in May

http://www.livescience.com/blogs/2008/0 ... 66-in-may/

April 16th, 2008
Author Robert Roy Britt

To many people, this means nothing. But of course 666 refers to the Beast in the Bible. Heaven knows what ten sixes means.

I don’t know who first noticed this looming numerical curiosity, but it was mentioned today on the Drudge report. To see the projection, go to the U.S. Census Bureau’s World POPClock Projection page. There you’ll find these projections among others:

05/01/08 6,664,737,085
06/01/08 6,671,275,141

So sometime in between May 1 and June 1, the gaggle-of-sixes milestone will be passed.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:36 am

Goodness, do they purposely LOOK for thing to scare people with? :roll: It doesn't scare me a bit. 6/6/06 Wasn't a bad day for me because I don't believe in jinxes. In fact, I don't believe in bad luck, just mistakes and fate. Like yesterday it was fate that I got thrown two more times by my crazy horse, haha. :-D
Why do they even pay attention? Don't they have other stuff to rant about?

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:46 am

<cheesy>Oh but it's signs and omens to show that we're living in the End of Days!</cheesy>

I think it's rubbish, but people keep trying to prove that the Judgment Day is about to pop out of the sky at us.

Since most of their system is fear - fear the wrath of God, fear the fires of Hell, fear the power of Satan - they need to reinforce that.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:09 pm

666 to me is like 13 - it's only bad luck because there are 13 lunar months in a year, women often have 13 cycles in a year, and other Pagan and pro-female influences.

Since realizing this, 13 has become my lucky number ^_^ Where bad things used to happen, really luck things happen.

Which goes to show, sometimes luck is just a state of mind :D

However, in terms of the devil and *ooooo* wicked things, well, I can only laugh at it, and wonder what people psychically are creating.

*edited to correct spelling mistakes*
Last edited by Crazy Healer Lady on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Besides which... 666 is a numerical mistranslation.

They should be afraid of 616 or whatever the heck it was originally supposed to be. :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:11 pm

I remember a story we had in science. Some guy cut his arm off and cooked it because he had some 'mark of the beast' on his hand. I was like... :smt037

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:39 am

Mahala wrote:I remember a story we had in science. Some guy cut his arm off and cooked it because he had some 'mark of the beast' on his hand. I was like... :smt037
Wow... That's an interesting sounding story... lol.
I agree with the fact of the church ruling by fear. It's funny, the official LeVayan Church of Satan has a statement that goes:
Satan is the best friend the church ever had. For without him, who would they scare everyone to stay away from?
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:35 am

The only numbers that interest me are on my pay slip and bank statement.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:40 am

underlilith wrote:I agree with the fact of the church ruling by fear. It's funny, the official LeVayan Church of Satan has a statement that goes:
Satan is the best friend the church ever had. For without him, who would they scare everyone to stay away from?
That also reminds me. I heard something about Satan in the Bible. (Satan/Lucifer was the snake.) Satan, as a snake, showed Eve the apples of knowledge, which God had forbidden her to eat, thus forbidding her to become enlightened. Now, if God is so gracious, why did he not just give her the apples? Oooh, and let me see... does anyone remember some of the stuff in the thread from Graver? Bully and the anthill. And it will always go in circles as to who is right/wrong.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:54 pm

It's from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. To eat from this would give them the knowledge of the gods. (Notice god says, "Behold, they have become as us.") They were cast out because god was afraid they would eat from the tree of eternal life and be gods.

And, as we know, God is a jealous god. :roll:
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:32 pm

I see. Well, jealousy doesn't do anything... and isn't coveting like jealousy? Coveting- a sin. Or at least in the LDS religion it is.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:20 am

Coveting is desiring something regardless of if it's worth something or not...to yearn or long for...so much so that you'd be willing to break laws to acquire it. It's a type of obsession. Sort of how kids today have to all have trendy clothes and expensive shoes...even if they have to beat up a classmate and steal them.

Jealousy is inclined to or troubled by suspicions or fears of rivalry, unfaithfulness, intolerant of unfaithfulness or rivalry. By God saying that he's a Jealous God, it basically means that if he thinks you "love" another better than him, he'll punish you because you're being "unfaithful" to whatever vows or oaths you took to worship him.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 am

I still say that favour given simply because you'll get something in return is wrong.

I was watching an episode of House a few days ago (a doctor who diagnoses rare and deadly illnesses), and in one episode the main characters were lesbians. They had the same blood type, and the girl who was sick needed a kidney transplant (I believe) or else she'd die before they could properly diagnose her. Her girlfriend gave up her kidney, but the main ethical issue was that apparently the sick one was going to dump the other.

One of the doctors though it was highly unethical to not tell the dumpee, that she was going to be dumped before she gave up her kidney.

My main thought was that if your love was superficial enough that you would only save your Love's life if they promise to stay with you was bascially "Blaspheme!"

As I told Grimwell, "If you were dying and needed my bone marrow or something, but told me before hand that you were going to divorce me ;) afterwards, I'd still save you and give you the marrow. I love you, and my love is not that superficial. Trust me, you'll live if only so that I can punish you fully later. :lol: "
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri May 02, 2008 3:36 am

Kystar wrote: By God saying that he's a Jealous God, it basically means that if he thinks you "love" another better than him, he'll punish you because you're being "unfaithful" to whatever vows or oaths you took to worship him.
Nice one! =D>

Worth a bath time meditaion on. 8-)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri May 02, 2008 7:01 am

Thank you, Ragnar.