Girl Dies of Diabetes WHile Parents Pray

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Girl Dies of Diabetes WHile Parents Pray

Post by Mahala » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:15 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080429/ap_ ... ayer_death
WESTON, Wis. - Two parents who prayed as their 11-year-old daughter died of untreated diabetes were charged Monday with second-degree reckless homicide.

Family and friends had urged Dale and Leilani Neumann to get help for their daughter, but the father considered the illness "a test of faith" and the mother never considered taking the girl to the doctor because she thought her daughter was under a "spiritual attack," the criminal complaint said.
That's deeply shocking and disturbing. How could you just LET your child die like that? You have to know when you can go without doctors and when you desperately need them. This girl could have lived, had they realized that.
Last edited by Mahala on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:40 am

I don't think it's a matter of them putting faith into one god

I think it's a matter of living in the dark ages in a world of medical advancement because of spiritual restrictions.

Despite your religion, worship of one god or ten thousand, if you have the medical tools at hand, you should use them. People of all religions experience miracles and deaths. Again, this is not this couple's deity of choice, but the spiritual restrictions of their chosen religion. It may seem similar, but there is a huge difference. Saying their daughter's death is because they put their faith into one god is like saying that those who died in the witch hunts (and were actually witches) were faulty because they put their faith into a Goddess, or that Rome fell because they put their faith into the Roman Pantheon.

I personally believe that diabetes and other diseases can be cured using spiritual methods, but these must be in conjunction with medical monitering (if refusing treatment, which is a personal choice but something I feel is, depending on the issue, quite stupid), and diet as well. (ex. How can you heal diverticulosis if you're still eating fast food?)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:00 am

CHL you are absolutely right. I agree with everything you wrote there.
The amazing thing, and it continues to confound me, is how people like this pit their faith in a deity and Have their prayers answered but don't see it. As my grandmother used to say; "When Ceridwen points at the moon, some people only see the finger." (That sounds a lot better in Welsh)
Just look at that story, it reminds me of the old joke about a man whose town is being flooded. A boat comes by, then a launch and finally a helicopter to take him off the roof. Each time he refuses them because, "God has promised to save me."
After he drowns he asks god why wasn't he saved. God says, "I don't understand either, I sent a boat, a launch and a helicopter. Why did you drown?"
These people prayed to God for their daughter to be healed and, according to the article, they were surrounded by friends and family urging them to get medical advice. One friend even knew people in the medical profession who could help. How much answer do they need?
Doesn't it occur to them that the christians who were eaten by lions might have been praying too? they still got eaten. Christianity grew from those who hid in caves and kept low until the time was right.
The Witches who were burned, didn't they pray and invoke protection? The ancient lore was preserved by those who took the opportunities to hide. I don't mean to diminish brave sacrifice but I wonder, were they shown a way to be safe but thought "It won't happen to me because I'm more spiritual than the other poor souls"
The reality is that the Gods will show the way, in this mortal realm it is then up to us to take action not expect divine beings to violate the natural order of things.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:11 pm

Anyone who would let their child die is crazy.

Crazy people are just that...and they can say its their faith or because God wanted it to be that way but the bottom line is they are nuts.

Common sense should be called uncommon sense with what I've seen lately.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:40 pm

I agree that letting their child die was highly irrisponsible. And I agree with Crazy and Dai!

I also have to say that every case is different... It may only be a little thing, to throw incense into a censor, but sometime's (if you're willing to pay the price in this life) then it can be empowering.

I'm not saying that the parents were right in any way (they sound like idiots, personally), but I also believe that if you can stand up for what you believe, it can be worth it as well.

(Sigh :-? ) I don't feel I'm making much sense right now... I'll stop trying to explain while I have a headache.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews