Looking for a good reference

Love to read? Share your books, ideas, thoughts, etc.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Hey, all! I'm looking for a good reference on wardings, cleansing, banishings and the like.

Anyone got a good title? Or a few good references to pick and choose from?

Thanks!
~K.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Labrys
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Looking for a good reference

Post by Labrys » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:11 am

Kystar wrote:Hey, all! I'm looking for a good reference on wardings, cleansing, banishings and the like.

~K.
My standard for several years has been Dion Fortune's "Psychic Self-Defense"....possibly because I am too lazy to go look for more.
But I am not above some older folk ideas, for instance when bittersweet nightshade sprouted and came up near both my front and back door, I left it there as an herbal ward of sorts.

And then I customized things....a rough ellipse of stones surrounds my property, each entrusted to one of the family deities, and inside other wards. I blessed objects, one for each direction...they sit or hang in windows and compose permanent wards. Ideally all of these...the stones and indoor wards receive ritual attention and cleansing/charging at least once, if not twice per year.
Sounds like undulant rhetoric to me!
Remember the Fallen: http://www.walkofthefallen.com

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:04 am

Well, I'm working with an energy ward that's based in five stones I've made and placed around the property. I adjust them up and down as needed...but they're pretty static and hard to really make flex.

I'll have to look into that book, since I'm basically working off of instincts here.

Granted, I've been setting and maintaining wards since I was about six...but still, there's always room for refinement.

Labrys
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Labrys » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:10 am

Kystar wrote:
I'll have to look into that book, since I'm basically working off of instincts here.

There is another book, iirc, of exactly or nearly the same title...by a more recent author whose name escapes me. I have heard pretty good things about it and it is more from a purely pagan standpoint, I am told than Fortune's book. Of course, Fortune came at it from an esoteric Golden Dawn kind of place in her life, but I find it very adaptable. I like the idea of stones as wards. Do you use rune engraving or anything like that? My eldest son is particularly fond of wooden and stone items with runic magic worked into them for protection wards.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:48 am

Well, I'm basically an Elemental Witch...so I used the Four physical Elements.

I basically bought that silly cement for making custom stepping stones. I purified the mix, made sure that a little bit of each purifying tool (drop of sea water, flick of flame, bit of incense, and a bit of salt) got into each stone. When it was partially hardened, I etched the symbol from my Elemental Glyphs that matched the Element into it...set a glass stone of the proper color (so I could find them in the grass!) and let them finish hardening.

When they were done, I cleansed them again, then consecrated(?) them to their element.

I let them go through a full day's sun and a full night's moon before I set them in their cardinal points around the house/yard...and then tied the wards together into them.

I had previously used a larger stone that had my symbol for earth etched into it...and colored stones for the elements...but it's hard to hold a "fence" up with only one support. So, I cleansed it and made it my Faerie offering stone...and made the others. The Offering Stone still helps hold the Wards, but it's not vital to them.

A note on my Glyphs...I tried using Runes for a long time, but the Norse runes confused me...and the Witches' Runes I got (some author, dunno) felt incomplete. So, one of my sisters-in-spirit (Fire, if you watch my wedding video) suggested that I meditated on what I wanted/needed/felt was usable and make my own Runes. I used to call them the Gypsy Elemental Runes, but eventually just shortened it to Elemental Glyphs.

I'd be willing to send you a copy of the images if you PM me. And the base meanings...since they're very free-form.

Honestly, I don't think I've had a wrong reading yet...I've had readings that didn't answer the question b/c the Glyphs felt that wasn't as important as what they had to say, but never a wrong reading.

Labrys
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Labrys » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:00 am

Your glyphs sound like some symbols a friend used on a wooden pentacle she made once. I, too, use the four elements in a good deal of my workings....I use elemental condensors much more often than things like candle magic. I like candle work for stuff that I want to remind me visually to send energy/aid and so forth---but otherwise, yes, I want to magically "telegram" the Elementals of the earth to aid me in whatever has me at the altar!

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:32 am

The main layout is that of runes, actually...but I do use them to represent either Elements or goals...or obstacles.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:27 pm

Heck, Forget Labrys... Can I see a copy of the glyphs?! =P~ =P~ =P~

I love seeing runes, and symbols that others have come up with... Mainly because although I have a talent for seeing symbols and using them, I don't seem to be able to come up with anything original myself! :lol: :roll:

On another note, thank you for sharing... I hadn't even considered doing it that way, and yet, it really seems like an idea that would work (or at least, it would work if I had a yard #-o ), I may have to wait until I have a proper yard to work with. :lol: :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:47 pm

Kitsune - I noticed you have an email addy posted on your profile.

I'll send the glyph document there...I have it saved as a Word doc.

Let me know if there are any problems.

Labrys
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Labrys » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:54 am

Kitsune wrote:Heck, Forget Labrys... Can I see a copy of the glyphs?! =P~ =P~ =P~

I love seeing runes, and symbols that others have come up with... Mainly because although I have a talent for seeing symbols and using them, I don't seem to be able to come up with anything original myself! :lol: :roll:

:-D
ROFL....I wouldn't mind seeing them myself. And there is something we have in common---I too feel stiflingly UNoriginal. I get told I am a great organizer and synthesizer, but honestly, I feel like the lady doing the old style card catalogue at the library; working from the work of others!

Labrys
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Labrys » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:56 am

Kystar wrote:Kitsune - I noticed you have an email addy posted on your profile.

I'll send the glyph document there...I have it saved as a Word doc.

Let me know if there are any problems.
I wouldn't mind a look at those myself Kystar. I have to admit an enduring frustration about not looking/keeping and then later going up walls. About ten years ago, someone was visiting with some sort of board game---and it had some rather unique and very graceful symbols for the four traditional western elements, and I think a few extras from Asian esoterica. I meant to copy them....and didn't; now, naturally, I cannot recall them at all.

So I better look at yours NOW, right? ;)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:20 am

Since it's a word doc with images, I'm not sure I can post it, either to the boards or to a PM.

If you want a copy...then you can Private message me an email addy and I'll send them to you.

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sìle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:13 pm

Perhaps, these might help:

Defences Against the Witches' Craft: Anti-cursing Charms from English Folk Magick, Traditional Witchcraft and the Grimoire Traditions” by John Canard; or

Practical Psychic Self-Defense: Understanding and Surviving Unseen Influences” by Robert Bruce.