Jehovies

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Jehovies

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:27 am

As I have mentioned, I am sure, on this board, I work closely with a Jehovie. Come the end of January, I will be back in scheduling and ripping my hair out, but until then we work very closely. She is Jehova's Witness, and this is a strange time for her because our Community Health Workers keep bringing in presents, and she cannot accept the ones for her, and she has to explain to them that she is JW.

I learned yesterday WHY JWs don't celebrate Xmas, just when I was thinking hey, I wonder what her reaction would be if she asked me my religion and I answered. When explaining that she is JW to one of our Phillipino CHWs (who, by the way, are the most generous and loving creatures on earth), she said that "Anything Piggan" she will not celebrate.

"Piggan?"

"Piggan."

Oh, PAGAN! Oh.... aw..

Tell me, why does this freak me out? Why am I so angry over it? Maybe because my religion doesn't have in one of its fundamentals something that is against another religion, just mindsets and obvious "wrong-doings" such as rape and murder.

Is it so freaking bad to find "God" in the cycles of Nature? Is it so bad to TALK to "God" personally? Oh no, HEATHEN!! HEATHEN!!! BURN IN HELL!

Okay, aside from this, I am looking at this person with an open mind and heart. She's definately a Fundie, and gets offended by words such as "suppository" and if a man likes to look at ladies in underwear, he's a pervert. She's honestly a nice enough person, but... I can't wrap my head around it.

I've looked on various websites, but cannot discover a satisfactory description on JW beliefs. I was hoping a few people here could enlighten me, because although what she said is offensive to me, at my core I have a huge interest in world religions and want to understand it.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:09 pm

As far as I can tell, you can't find a definative source for JW's beliefs because they are still working it out themselves. One of the objections to them from other christians is that rewrote key parts of the bible to give a different message.

Other than that, yes they are one of the anal of the christian sects, which actually describes their members quite well.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:50 am

All I know is, there's only like 144,000 places in heaven, and the only way you can get in is by recruiting others. You're not allowed to celebrate birthdays or christmas and you're not allowed to marry someone who's not part of the same religion.

Basically, it seems as if you're buggered before you even start. I mean, what about the first JWs? They didn't need to recruit quite so many. But now the later ones will need way more to get into heaven. Will they out-recruit the early ones and boot them out of their places? Can you get to heaven, and then get out-recruited? Does Jesus come up and say "Aw man, sorry dude, someone beat you by one. Um, so, have a pleasant stay in hell. Guess I'll see you round!"

:lol: Okay, so I don't know much about it. I have a friend who's been raised JW and she's the sweetest creature on earth, she's never liked the idea of recruiting others, so she never did it. Honestly, she's one of the best people I know. :-D Poor thing is rather confused about her religion, I think, since she's in love with a guy who isn't a JW and she doesn't do the whole converting thing. Poor gel.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:37 pm

I've spoken to a lot of JW's and read some of their literature.
They began as a bible study group with the intention of finding a literal interpretation of the bible. They see the bible as the whole and complete word of god. They admit they make mistakes but that due to diligent study they can correct those mistakes and so become the true reflection of god's kingdom on earth.
because they see themselves as members of the kingdom of god they do not involve themselves in any political activities. This caused them to be persecuted severely in nazi Germany where they saw themselves as members of a community rather than Germans.
They believe that god is "Jehovah" that jesus is a separate being and in fact, is the ArchAngel Michael. They take this from the statement of jesus that "Whosoever has seen me has seen the father" Micha-El literally means "Like God"
There is no eternal soul in their theology. When you die, you die. Certain people will be resurrected at the second coming, righteous and unrighteous. Then only the "Righteous will be allowed to remain and fill out the original command of god to "Multiply and replenish the earth" 144,000 are chosen to be the angels in heaven and be the gaurdians of the earth along with jesus. the rest live happy and fulfilled lives. There is no "Hell" just death, total and final.
Those 144,000 signify who they are by being the only ones to take communion at the easter ceremony. That is the only time that communion is offered and this is the only christian festival that they recognise. Treating it as a memorial that jesus established.
They do not celebrate christmas or birthdays in general. They point out that in the bible there are only two birthday celebrations ever mentioned and both of them ended evilly. The birth of jesus was also used as the opportunity to kill the children.
They take very seriously, the command to Adam that he should not drink blood and so they will take death over blood transfusion. There have been cases of children being made wards of court to save their lives because the parents would not allow transfusions to take place. They are many cases of people dying for this belief. The JW's I know carry cards that state that in an accident or life threatening situation no effort should be made to save them if it involves a transfusion.
They take the bible very literally, seeing no difference between poetic, historical or philosophical statements. It all is divine instruction.
There's a lot more obviously, this is a small overview. The really studious ones are interesting to talk to because they explore the bible deeply unfortunately their depth has a very narrow focus.
My JW friends, along with my more orthodox christian friends, are praying mightily for my soul. :lol:
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:15 am

Did you check religioustolerance.org ? They usually have a lot of good and fairly accurate info.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:17 pm

I did, mon ami, but did not find such that I was looking for.

I'm thinking of just taking her for coffee and picking her brain - once I am not working extremely closely with her, in case things go amiss.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:27 pm

Hehehe, piggan. I kinda like that word, it's funny. And I am apparently easily amused. :lol:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:56 am

Sorry about that.

Hmm, I will keep thinking, there has to be something out there. And they probably have their own website.

I hope your hair stays in... I like redheads :-D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)