Making a BOS

All things wiccan...
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:17 am

It's not like in Charmed where the book automatically opens up on its own.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did anyone else get frusterated in early childhood - say 4 or 5 - that all these magical things that happened in I Dream of Genie and Matilda didn't work for you???
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:35 pm

Yes! lol So it wasn't just me! :lol:
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:02 pm

I've never put spells down in my book. Either I've memorized the "Charm" or chant, or it doesn't require words. But back in the days before printers and scanners and photocopy machines were simply too expensive I would copy almost entire books into a binder or two. Unfortunately, over the years they have gone missing. :-?

It was really too bad too, there was one book that told you how to make authentic jewerly ritual and charm items from scratch and what materials to use. It was in my school library, and I've never found it again. Mind you, when I was in school and got into this stuff, I started taking out every book I could find... witch burnings, supernatural, anything... It was easy since they were all in the same place. After they realized that someone had not only found the dark corner, but that somebody was taking them out, they had them all moved to seperate areas to make them harder to find.

I questioned them on it and they said that they'd recieved information from the school board requesting the change. :-? :roll: Wish I'd known enough then to understand that it was my enthusiasm that got them removed, and not just some idiot at an office downtown calling the shots.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:56 am

I have several BOS - all hand written - my 'main' BOS and several that are topic specific - such as one for herbs and herbal 'receipes'.

It has been shown in several studies that writing something down by hand puts it more to memory than just reading it, listening to it, or even typing it - seems to be true for me. Plus - like CHL, I have a pen and paper fetish LOL. I enjoy spending time writing in my BOS and reading over previous goodies.

My main BOS has spells I've done, corrospondences, Goddess & God info, circle casting info, mediation info, etc. etc. It is contained in a spiral notebook that I found as a 'one time deal' at Wally world a number of years ago - the cover is super heavy (like 1/8" thick) compressed board with a pretty flower pattern on it, the spiral is of super heavy wire (at least 4 times the thickness of standard spirals) and inside the pages are thick, acid free (I think) with a floral border. I bought several to keep on had so that when volume one is full, I can move on to the next ;-)
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

serenarian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by serenarian » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:33 am

I made my own book. I bought parchment paper, hand-stitched the binding, made a cover and covered the book with velvet. I like being creative and for me writing in the book is doubly special because it contains all my creative energy, that I poured into it while in the process of making it.
"A loveless world is a dead world. And always there comes an hour when one is weary of prisons and all one craves for is a warm face. The warmth and wonder of a loving heart." - Albert Camus

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Wow. That's impressive.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

jaredb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Making a BOS

Post by jaredb » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:42 pm

Mine personal BOS is in a binder - but everything is handwritten. I believe it makes things more personal and you can become better connected if it's handwritten. Thats just me though :)

My Psionic Nature
Level 1
Level 1

Post by My Psionic Nature » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Personally speaking I'm not into the virtual BOS, I prefer mine to be 100% hand written in a binder/book. (Obviously no offence to thos who use a computerised BOS) I channel a lot of my symbols and other information into the page itself rather than the ink on it. So the ink may say one thing (for nosey readers) but the paper will give me my true entry. Anyone else use this method?
Many people have a spiritual experience. I'm a spiritual being having a human experience!

Unknown
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Cancer

Re:

Post by Unknown » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:55 am

Kystar wrote:If you're living at home and your family doesn't agree with your path, I wouldn't have a physical Book of Shadows lying around.

I'd make a password-protected document on my computer for the time being, hidden somewhere in the folders where they wouldn't look for it...named something that they wouldn't consider questionable enough to open.

now there is greeat idea
The dead has a voice such as the living but hearing that voice is something differnet.

pheonix
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by pheonix » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Anything that you feel connected towards, that you would use in your everyday craft is good to put in your Book of Shadows or Grimoire. It does come in hand to have an electronic back-up copy. Although I am more partial to a physical handwritten copy. When you physically hand write your own, it connects you more to it and your energy is directly imposed into it.

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Although a written one is nice, I really prefer the electronic version. I can't lose it, updates are easier, and I don't worry about spills. :-D
-----
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weygold
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gweygold
Home: http://www.weygold.com/