Making a BOS

All things wiccan...
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Making a BOS

Post by Mahala » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:02 pm

Okay, I need someone to help me get this started. First, i have a questions about what type of book I should use:
Typed on the com, or in a blank diary?

I know that you put your spells, chants, etc., in it. but what else?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:30 pm

I Don't think the type of book matters, there are a lot of online books of shadows. Probably most important is what you feel connected with and what you will do on a regular basis.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:15 pm

Yes many modern wiccans have a Disk Of Shadows. Just be sure to back up the data in case of catastophic computer crash or other mayhem.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:01 am

With a maniac computer like mine, I have to back up any important files on my thumb drive. Handy little thing. It saved my ass last time my computer crashed. 8-)

I guess I will do a BOS on my com, since I don't really fancy writing for hours. I'm more apt to come type it all up anyways.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:22 am

Actually what I do, is all of my information is typed into the computer. Then I found myself a gorgeous leather binder, and printed out all the sheets into it. I find that it was perfectly suited for me. And for things like my herbal knowledge and mineral knowledge, I can put colour pictures in beside the entry. Much more conveinant. That way I have a physical copy, but I also have a computer copy as well, so that when I learn something new I can add it in without trouble!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:37 pm

My BoS was all hand made. In high school I had a couple of girlfriends who were very artistic, and before I left that school to go to another town, they got in, typed up bunches and bunches of information, spells, rituals, everything for me, and made this funky cover to put it all in. It's starting to get a little on in years now, but I'd have to say I love it more than any other book I've had lol. They typed up all the info that they put in it for me, and did it all in plastic sheeting, so when I ran out of space once I added my own info to it, I could simply add more sheets to it, and keep on filing. The best part about the plastic sleeving - nothing gets dirty! And there's a few times I've been just waiting to get wax and stuff all over those pages lol. Accidents do tend to happen when I'm around lol.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:28 am

I have two. One is an A4 ring binder and the other is an A5 ring binder :lol: I take the smaller one travelling with me, and the larger one I use indoors, although both have identical information. Keeping it all together is a challenge, but I enjoy it.

I prefer to write things out by hand because for me it aids my memory, although I do have some things in there that I've printed off.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 pm

I have an A5-ish sized diary thing I bought somewhere, very nice, black with white unlined paper, very simple. I write divinations and Journeys and a few meditations or musings in there. I also have a grimoire, a rather gorgeous big book with a metal clasp, where I write poems, myths, information, rituals, chants, little spells, any real decisions I come to about my religious beliefs, etc (for example, my definition of "magick" and suchlike). I started it when I was about 16 and unfortunately I'm running out of room. It's very pretty but I think I need another one.

I also have a virtual book of shadows... I stick in there everything I come across on the internet that I'd like to keep, or things that I think I might like to add to my grimoire one day in the future. Problem is, see, that my thoughts when I was 16 aren't exactly the same as my thoughts now. Sometimes I'll be reading it and think "why on earth did I put that in there?!" or something... so given that I'm running low on space, I think carefully before adding anything new. It doesn't help that I didn't plan out the layout of the book before I started adding things.... Spells and rituals are all lumped together, information is all at the front but in no real order, I have no title page, things could be presented better in many cases.... I do love the book, but given the chance I'd like to start over ;)

So, I do recommend having both an e-copy and a hard copy book of shadows... a big beautiful book of shadows will be one of your most cherished possessions, but make sure you plan out very carefully what you want and where you want it. Keep something for a while before you decide to add it, in case you change your mind later. I personally keep a set of pens that I use only within my grimoire, and another I use only in my magickal journal thing, but you may decide not to. I write mine out, but I do print out pictures to add, because they are beautiful.

Good luck! If you have lots and lots of money to spend, check this out: http://www.brahmsbookworks.com/witchgrandtome.html
That site has some incredible books.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:49 pm

If you're living at home and your family doesn't agree with your path, I wouldn't have a physical Book of Shadows lying around.

I'd make a password-protected document on my computer for the time being, hidden somewhere in the folders where they wouldn't look for it...named something that they wouldn't consider questionable enough to open.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:51 am

Oh my gods... those books are so beautiful... That is the sort of thing that can really make materialism creep up on you. NO! I am content with my green notebook!
Oh so beautiful.

But If I want one so badly, then I won't mind making it, now will I? ;););) Which I just may do, since I have such a thing with making items to pass on to my eventual daughters.

Also, I think the radomization of a bound book of shadows is at once the flaw and the appeal of it for me. On the one hand I love everything organized. On the other, if you know your book, you know where each spell lays anyway ;)

But, the thing is, I don't HAVE spells to put into it, because I don't DO spells.

:-k
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:51 am

I have a couple of binders. They are both purple cuz that's my favorite color. I keep info in one and stuff for my workings in the other. Needless to say, I have more info than working currently. But that's ok. I'll get there in my own time. Everything is written out but with the binders I can change whatever I want.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:22 pm

FyreGarnet wrote:Everything is written out but with the binders I can change whatever I want.
That's the main reason I chose binders myself. I started with bound books and they were beautiful, but I wanted to put everything in order and I couldn't do it with a bound book like I could with a binder.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:11 pm

It's not like in Charmed where the book automatically opens up on its own.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:43 pm

I had a multi-compartment plastic folder once, where I had everything in it's little slot...but then I started cramming ideas down on my pc and ended up pulling the stuff out of the folder to use it for a business venture.

Moved the printed stuff to a binder, but honestly, I haven't opened the thing in over a year, I think.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:21 pm

I keep a journal with some stuff in it. It does have a nice pic on the front though. I hunt around for journals I really like, but they often aren't that expensive.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)