Talk with the Gods

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:10 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote: Interesting thought: Which trees do you find are the most friendly toward you or people in general?
Personaly Yew and Oak. But I think that depends on wht God/Godess you are attached to.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:37 am

I love willow trees...duh #-o

I just feel like they are reaching down to hug me and asking me to sit under them.

I also love birch trees and maples, maybe it's because they both make good canoes, but seeing them makes me incredibly happy.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:16 pm

Personaly, pines seem to really like me, but I grew up in pine forests, so it's no wonder. I find cedar trees are very warm and fuzzy towards me also.

What about fruit trees? Fig seems friendly but almost ditzy, and Peach and Plum make great friends when close to one another, like tweedle dee and tweedle dumb.

And ornamental trees, Red Buds are comunitive when around other ornament trees, like Hibiscus or Magnolia.

Live Oak and Scrub Oak grow in forests in Texas but I noticed that Oaks tend to act fairly high and mighty so to speak, almost like royalty.

Sadly I've never met Birch of Maple, but both I've heard wonderful things about.

I agree about Willows, I could nap under them for hours. Hickory however makes me wanna climb to the highest branch and play look out. :lol:
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:57 pm

Willows and I get along famously. I've always found pohutukawa very friendly but whether that's a personal or a general thing I don't know.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:26 am

I remember we had a gorgous old weeping willow in front of my house as a kid. Eventually, they decided it was too big and took it out. I was devastated. Now I know that when I next buy a house, I'm going to buy myself a weeping willow sapling, and take care of it. That way, by the time I get a full house with a yard, I'll just be able to transplant him. Willows are calming and sweet. They take care of you, and will whisper wisdom to those who are quiet enough to listen (one thing that disney's Pocahontas DID get right :lol: ).

I live deep in the city though, and most of our trees just don't deign to speak to people anymore. I'm looking forward to moving into a smaller town soon, so that I can speak to the trees again on a regular basis.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:29 am

Hi everyone. Great to be back.
Love this topic, I'd like to contribute.
First, on communion with the Gods, Like others here i supplicate when in need like Ragnar's "Where's the bloody bus" but sometimes in more serious moments i really do feel the need to express my anxieties then i put myself in tune with "The Earth beneath me, the Sky above me, the Air around me." Then I pour out my hearts desire.
If I need to know how to overcome an obstacle or achieve an end, then my favored way is;
Light a candle, then, as i gaze into the flame i visualize a forest and the flame is in the forest. As i draw closer it becomes a blacksmith forge and there, at the forge is Brigid. I express my need and watch. What She picks up will be the things i need to accomplish my and. Then I watch as She fashions the result in her fire. All of this teaches me. I make sure i thank her and then i leave. Allowing the forest and the forge to become the candle once again.
One word of caution. If you have long hair, tie it back. :oops:

I feel closest to Oak. There was an old Oak i used to play in as a child. I could swing and play in his branches confident i wouldn't fall or in any way be hurt. The last time i saw my old friend was shortly before the area was to be bulldozed down for housing development. It was the occasion of my fathers funeral. I sat on his roots and told him my sadness and he understood though he had no sadness of his own.
There may be some on this board wondering just how to communicate with trees. Here's a start;
Just find one you like, sit facing it, then try to clear your mind of thoughts and just listen. It may take a while but that is up to you and how well you can put your own distractions to one side. It's all about sitting quietly and listening.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:42 am

That is very beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

Ahhh ... long hair and candles... luckily, we've not met often!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:55 am

Has anyone read "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein? It is a phenomenal children's book that makes me cry every time.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:30 am

I loves willow tree's, We have loads around here but there is one that is absolutely huge and no matter how many times the council trim it, I still looks like a giant tent made from leaves. I've been going and sitting under that tree now for about 7 years...

There is also a tree of some kind I don't know that makes me feel better when I'm down. When I'm really down I usually go off wandering at like 1am Walk up to the reservoir (closest thing I have to sea/lake now) then sit under this same tree for about an hour having a terribly mundane and normal conversation, before going home and sleeping straight through :)
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Willow wrote:Has anyone read "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein? It is a phenomenal children's book that makes me cry every time.
If I remember correctly, they made this into a childrens series on British T.V some years back.

When was the book written? I am sure it is the one in question. But the series was back in the 70s, could that be right????

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Published in 1964

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Tree

Here is the Wikipedia link if you are interested. Wouldn't that be a very short television series?
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:14 pm

May have been loosley based on the book, rather than a retelling of what was actualy written.

It is not a series I watched. But I remember the name.

xAutumn_Leafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xAutumn_Leafx » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:41 pm

Like Crazy Healer Lady, I'll connect to a Maple tree before anything else. There's something so comforting and homey about them. That could also be because I had maples in my yard growing up, but we had others around the area but the Maple was always my favorite.

Here's a thought: how much do you think your ability to connect to certain trees has to do with what you grew up with? For instance, if you grew up with willow trees in your yard, wouldn't they be sure to become one of your favorites, simply because they remind you of home?
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration." ~ Claude Monet

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." ~Carl Jung

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:48 am

Probably, I never had a wilow tree, I had a birch and several ash, but the ash trees would constantly encroach on our garden so we viewed them more as a pain in the tush.

I was always jealous of people with willows in their yard. The factthat anything in nature can get that big and solid just astounds me.

I guess I should edit that I do love maples, where I grew up September to November is one of the most beautiful places in the world, hands down. The reds, oranges and yellows will go on as far as the eye can see.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Scathach
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scathach » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:03 pm

I grew up with a big weeping willow near my home. It was a magickal tree that spoke to me of the flow of life. Now, whenever I see one I think of that. The stuff of our childhoods is very powerful. It's what touched our spirits in a way that is deeper than anything to come after.

Sometimes I think that a lot of pagan magick is about reaching back to remember the symbol set that we've been given. Now what one does with it is the rub. What symbols affirm or life and what others don't? How do we relate to those symbols?
-Z. deScathach of the Backwater Pinetree Node