Esbat Questions

All things wiccan...
fussa-faery
Level 1
Level 1

Esbat Questions

Post by fussa-faery » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:40 am

Im intrested in learning more about the esbats. Ive celebrated the sabbats for quite a long time and have been wondering what people do to celebrate full moons egsactly and havn't found to much help from genral pagan books. So if you have anything to say about the Esbats I am all ears. :-D
"Fairy's may be a figment of my imagination, but doesn’t that make them real?"

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:14 pm

I celebrate the cycles of Grandmother Moon in different ways. I always welcome her when I see her in the sky, and reflect on the different phases.

Waxing moons remind me of Woman in her youthful stage, new and innocent to the world. Full moons remind me of Woman in her fruitful age, the time of Mother. Waxing, and I think of Crone, a time of wisdom and relfection on all that has passed.

Celebrating full moons are a celebration of my own body and cycles, and also of the fertility in my life. I may do a simple meditation on this, or just say a passing Thank You to All That Is. I may light a candle and have a nice, relaxing bath. (Each bath since moving into my new place has been a profoundly spiritual and renewing experience for me).

I hope this helps some. I think most of us here on the boards have come to develop our own rituals and celebrations, mostly taken from the stirrings of our own hearts and souls.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:48 am

I agree with CHL, I mark the moon phases with reflection, I think of myself as a maiden when the moon is waxing, I think of becoming a mother one day when the moon is full and fertile and I think of growing older and enjoying wisdom to come when the moon is waning.

On monday I was in the car at midnight with my boyfriend and his brother and the moon was so full and bright in the sky it took our breath away. We all gasped. That night I was just caught up in the beauty of the moon herself and so greatful for her presence.

Esbats are as much about personal expression as anything else.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

fussa-faery
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fussa-faery » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:08 pm

Ahh these personal reflections all seem very beautiful indeed.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:34 pm

It is clearly up to the individual on how they honor. My druidic grove did not do anything with the Full moon since this was considered "Wiccan."
Much needs to be said about what path one is on since for some the full moon is not a major event.
Since I am a Kemetic Recon, I use the energy of the full moon to resonate with Thoth (used Greek name yes, I know). Since he is the deity of writing and reading, I try to use some poetry while in ritual.

Some people identify better with moon energy which is why they focus on the Esbats while others are more sun orientated (Sabbats). Do some research on the moon and try to incorporate some things that feel right for you. Using tools like silver candles, mirrors, or reflecting water could assist you.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:07 am

I always smile when I see the full moon. I always pause and gaze at her awhile. I never really do any form of ritual, but I may well do in the future.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

fussa-faery
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fussa-faery » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:38 pm

Thanks Lotus. I understand know that it more depends on if its an important thing for someone’s faith whether they honor the full moon or not. For me it has always seemed incomplete to honor one and not the other. Sort of like worshiping a God and not a Goddess or visa versa. (sp) another question I have is are there specific traditions for different Esbats since Sabbat are all kind of specific about what the holiday represents.

fussa-faery
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fussa-faery » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:42 pm

Oh yes windwalker. who couldn't smile when confronted by a happy full moon :smt045

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:16 pm

I smile whenever I see the Moon, whatever her form... Then I honor her with a small meditation if I'm able. The Moon comforts me, and always takes my breath away.

That said, I still don't have an actual formalized ritual I do to celebrate. I've written down a couple over the years, but never gotten into the habit of doing them... #-o
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Esbat Questions

Post by Jet » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:00 am

Hello,
From what i know- Sabbats relate to the agricultural cycle and give Honor to the Male deity. While there is magic worked within a sabbat ritual- its mostly a celebration.
Esbats relate to spiritual and magical workings, and of course correspond to the secret workings of Our Lady.

That is what i think.

:)

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:18 am

Welcome Jet,

Essentially correct, but there is a bit more.

Sabbats are the 8 Wheel of the Year Holidays. While they do relate to the Growth Cycle which is more under the God's pervue, they also directly relate to the relationship with the Goddess and her duties throughout the Year.

The Esbats are the 13 Lunar Monthly times of High Magic, usually during the Full Moon, although some celebrate on the New Moon.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Jet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jet » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:01 am

Hey Darkwaters,

I would like to know what you think are her duties are throughout the yearly cycle.

Jet.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:46 am

From what I understand, the Goddess's duties during the year involve preparing the Earth to bring forth new life in the early spring, bringing forth the new life in the spring (Obviously with the god's help...but seriously, takes two to baby, so...), nurturing the new life during the summer so that the land is fruitful. In the Autumn, she slows the flow of energy so that the harvest can be successful, and during the winter, she rests and allows the Earth to rest so that when her consort returns from the Underworld, they are prepared to bring forth new life once more.

She's also a guiding force at times, and helps impart wisdom and fruitfulness to any who call on her.

Mind you, i don't really follow the Sabbaths, nor do I observe the "God/Goddess" pairing. So, the only way I know this is from reading the "Wheel of the Year, Living the Magical Life" by Pauline Campanelli with illustrations by Dan Campanelli. I wanted to know why things were associated with certain Sabbaths and seasons, and this book gave me a good idea. So, I can give you basics whereas someone who actually follows those deities can give you details. I do know that some of the Sabbaths are meant to celebrate the Union of the God and Goddess and their life together in the cycle of the year. I also know that some consider the Goddess reborn in the spring with her Consort, so she is Maiden again, to Mother, to Crone.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Krystar has it pretty much nailed down. Although different paths have varied versions of the story behind the Wheel of the Year, the Lady's role is prepartory and support. She bears the Lord at Yule, is his mate at Beltane, supports him during his power at Midsummer and comforts him with promise of new life at Samhain.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:59 am

This may be a blindingly obvious question so board-slap me if you want! According to the Wiccan tradition, which I assume is what we are talking about here, what are the male deity's duties throughout the year?

And if fussa-faery is still around - I have some things written down regarding celebrations for esbats, do you still want this information? This post was a couple of years ago so maybe not!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde