Talk with the Gods

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu May 17, 2007 3:21 pm

I walk in nature and breathe. That is about it. Sometimes I think about people or animals I am familiar with.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Fri May 18, 2007 7:27 am

Honestly I just talk to nature, the sky, trees, etc. I might seem like a crazy person from a general view, but hey it works for me.
_-Taylor-_

"Nothing strengthens the judgment & quickens the conscience like individual responsibility..."

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue May 22, 2007 9:44 am

I generally just speak to my Deities... sometimes they're not busy and respond, and sometimes I get a busy signal and leave a message!

Really, I find that I rituals are for blessings or holy days.

My prayers are sent to them as heartfelt thanks for moments of peace, beauty and the occasional kick in the pants! :lol:

It's generally very casual, unless I'm actually praying, then it's reverent(I think that's the word I'm looking for #-o )
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu May 24, 2007 1:02 am

I'm the same as Kitsune. Generally it's fairly casual when I'm in a dialogue with them, but if I'm praying it's more formal and reverent. Sometimes they turn up halfway through a prayer and it turns into a dialogue :-D

Whichever, I usually stop and calm my mind first, set it into a rhythm in which I can "receive" better.

Ideally, I speak with deity when I'm in a more meditative state, especially in a Journey to my personal space or the Upper World.

I also feel a closeness with a deity when reading the lore and mythology surrounding them, in that the act of reading it could be likened to a sort of prayer, or at least a devotional act. Similarly, I get this feeling sometimes when walking in nature. I plan to make some prayer beads, when I find a bead shop that sells the beads I need.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon May 28, 2007 2:57 am

Sometimes I speak out loud, sometimes I just have mental conversations with them. If I pray, I tend to refer to them very reverentially, whereas if I'm just speaking to them it's quite casual - not out of disrespect though.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon May 28, 2007 4:55 am

Dream work and visualisation.

Some times direct appeal, like "Bloody Hel Odin, whens this damn bus going to come?" :lol:

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon May 28, 2007 9:37 am

Thank you for all sharing!

Myself: For my Guides, I chat with them, sometimes channel, or speak with them through cards, dreams, or just a "hiya."
For the divine that is above them - to the realm of gods and goddesses - visualization, meditation, and prayer, but prayer turns into a dialogue often.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatale » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:28 am

internally! it's like a conversation in my head!
I might be crazy for listening to the voices, but they never told me to kill anybody yet, so I guess I'm fine!

Sometimes, when I'm frustrated I just yell out loud "Thanx alot!" once things are better, I apologize! :o

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:56 am

I like trees alot. ^_^ Most I've never had problems with, most are friendly enough. I usually don't bother bigger entities unless I need to, but a dialogue ever now and again is nice. But I do have a habit of stoping in the middle of things to talk with trees or bugs or critters and I ususally get looked at strangly, but nothing that constitutes asylum. :-D
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:20 am

Oh, speaking of trees (tangent, but hey), does anyone else find that pine trees (in general) are rather aloof? Do they not like me, or are they just not a friendly sort of tree? :lol:

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:21 am

Which pines? Old Bull Pines, or those hyrbid comercial (sp) pines? The thick slow growing with lots of low branches are Bull Pines, the tall thin ones with few branches are man made.

I've found Bull Pines aren't so much aloof as they are tough, think old warrior indian, they smile every now and again, you just hafta get to know them.

The hybrid paper pines aren't the brightest, but can be very sweet so long as they aren't around people. People in large groups scares them, they know what man made them for and they don't like death any more then you or I.

There are probably a lot more types of pine trees, but I haven't met them. :-( I hope I helped and blessings.
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:05 pm

Just a theory, but i see pines as "community trees". O.K you get oak, or yew forests, but they are very rarely the ONLY tree in the forest, wheras withpines, they are not "nursery trees". In a pine forest VERY few, if any, other trees grow.

Oak rely on birch or willow type trees to protect them from seedlings until they out grow the "parents", then they protect the trees that, so to say, brought them up and gave them shelter.

Pines however, are very indipendant. So, like moving into a small town where after 30 years you may still be known as "the incomer", it is difficult to "break into" the pine community.

Just a mad Sundaymorning thought, waiting for the coffee to filter through. :-D

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:22 pm

It's a pretty cool thought. Interesting, I hadn't thought about it like that :lol:

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:29 am

A very interesting idea Ragnar... This explains why the single pine trees in Calgary are so darn attentive when I speak to them... They're lonely, and at that point, any conversation is better than no conversation, but in the forests, I'm ignored completely, or get a "Oh, yes, hello, now run along home little mammal... Silly creatures, these humans" sort of thought... :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:49 am

I don't actually live in an area where pines grow, so I am not sure how to comment. However, we do have fir trees, which are often mistaken for pines, but I find they are very friendly.

But this was not about fir trees.

Interesting thought: Which trees do you find are the most friendly toward you or people in general?

I find maples are very welcoming, sort of like a warm grandmother just waiting to embrace you or play.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG