Chick Tracts

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:41 am

Willow wrote:I think that by living good in this life you take care of the next one.
Yes, being an honourable, kind and thoughtful person in this life is a great thing, but I think people should be that way because the want to be, not just because they'll get the keys to the castle in the sky if they do.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:20 am

Jescissa wrote: Yes, being an honourable, kind and thoughtful person in this life is a great thing, but I think people should be that way because the want to be, not just because they'll get the keys to the castle in the sky if they do.
May I commend you on a BRILLIANT reply? =D>

I am NOT getting at any other post.

What I am, perhaps badly, trying to say is, that this is EXACTLY the quick thinking we all need when answering questions. No matter from where they come.

Again; WEWLL DONE! 8-)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:21 am

Ragnar wrote:come.

Again; WEWLL DONE! 8-)
I thought, as being you are Welsh, you would apprieciate the extra "W". :lol:

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:02 am

:lol: :lol: Yes, double consonants all round!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Dovahkiin
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Chick Tracts

Post by Dovahkiin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:45 pm

I particularly like the "witch of Endor". I want to be a witch of Endor. Ewoks are adorable! :-)

I hope I got the right planet, or else I'll feel pretty stupid. :-)

Kibaval
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Leo

Post by Kibaval » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:54 am

so i looked at the tract you posted jessica, the one about witches, yeah... didnt know abou this "tract" junk before now and im glad i didnt, i would have said some quite nasty things to the writer given the chance and still might. but youre all right, this is just scare tactics and offensive sludge, religion should be something you can choose your own path on, not have it crammed down your throat or be fire and brimstoned into like so many people are everyday, be it by their families or by their friends, its all rubbish.
"Timidi mori pluries ante eorum funera;
Deinde fortis gustabit mortem.
Audivi tamen in cunctis mirabilibus.
Mirum videtur mihi magis ut timeatur;
Videns ut mors, necessaria finem,
Venient veniet." - Julius Caesar

Herbs Of Airmid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Herbs Of Airmid » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:13 am

Was particularly annoyed at the bit where it said she should read the King James Bible as it was the only one that hadn't been interfered with, yet that is the one that was changed to say "suffer not a witch to live". Because the original word was sorceress, everyone assumed it meant witch, when, apparently, it meant 'poisoner'. When it meant that, I'm not sure, could be Stuart period or earlier. I felt like throttling the people who wrote that tract and I thank the Lady with all my heart that we don't seem to have groups like this in England.
May the Goddess walk with you.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 am

Generally the "sorceress" was the fortune teller, the soothsayer, the one that knew more than others through various means. "Poisoner" might come from believing such people poison the souls of the pure, or the fact they were also often very good at herbology which included poisons to rid places of pests ... the definition of pests being variable depending on the buyer.

As I like to go to the source I actually spoke to a rabbi about it - the Christian Old Testament is the translated Jewish Torah and Talmud.

What he said was that God gives everyone "gifts", some are meant to be used, others like fortune telling are tests to see if you won't use them because they tread on divine powers.
If a sorceress used the powers she was given, and thereby failed the test, she was to be put out from the People of God. (funny how it was always a woman)
The actual line is meant to say "suffer not a sorceress/witch to live among you."
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.