Chick Tracts

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Chick Tracts

Post by Jescissa » Mon May 28, 2007 6:49 am

This is more of a rant, so feel free to ignore!

We don't have anything quite like this in the UK, and thank the God and Goddess we do not! They frighten people into accepting Jesus and that is surely a false conversion? If someone is coerced through threats, fear or torture this isn't a true conversion and Jesus should be fully ashamed of himself if this is the way in which he'd prefer people to hear all about him.

I think the children's tracts should be banned and adults should be forbidden to give them to children. They damage the right to free imagination and free choice through impressing fear into a child's mind, a fear that would never have been there in the first place.

I also find their content extremely offensive. It is extremely badly researched whilst claiming inside knowledge. I also find the imagery of demons hovering beside and within the 'bad' characters horrifying and disgusting.
Chick tracts convict backsliders. I was shaken back into the fear of the Lord from my backslidden state by THIS WAS YOUR LIFE! that I found on my seat in a subway train. E-Mail
God and Goddess don't want anyone to fear them or to believe they are 100% good. They are powerful beings who need and deserve respect, not fear or overfamiliarity. The people who live in fear of God and/or treat Jesus as their best mate drive me bloody crackers.
Soul winner expands his ministry by teaching others how to witness with Chick tracts
Martha is in her 80's but she was not aware of Chick tracts. I asked her if I gave her some if she'd use them. She said yes, so I gave her a package of 25. At Christmas she wanted to tell me something. She had been going to this elderly man's house each week and leaving the church magazine. She said he seemed to get irritated, so she thought of the THIS WAS YOUR LIFE tracts I'd given her. She thought they were pretty strong, but decided to try them anyway. Two weeks later she noticed the elderly gentleman's name in the obituary. She wondered if it was the same man. She went to the funeral to find out. Sure enough it was. She went up to the man's daughter and told her she was the lady from the bus ministry. Martha said the daughter grabbed her and hugged her and said, "Dad got upset about the magazine, but when you gave him THIS WAS YOUR LIFE, he read it and gave his heart to the Lord before he died." Praise God! E-Mail
Hmm. It was more likely that the tract frightened him to death. If the guy didn't like her busy-body ways and her magazines, it's even less likely he'd have fallen for a badly illustrated hysterical, panicmongering tract.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5012/5012_01.asp

I'm so incredibly angy that these sorts of things can get printed and used to frighten people, especially children, into a binding religion. People may say that you can always leave Christianity if you don't like it, but the reality is very different. They might not kill you like Islam treats the people who try to leave, but they will make life very difficult for you. I can't even believe how rude and ill-informed the tracts are when they concern another branch of Christianity - Catholicism. All you need to become a Christian is to believe that Jesus is your saviour, there's nothing to it but that. Some people embellish it a little, some people do it as plainly as possible, but Jesus is the general point of reference. Catholics are just as Christian as Puritans are.

People must be allowed to make their own way and find the spirituality that best connects them to the divine. I cannot stand the cookie-cutter method these tracts promote. A one-prayer-fits-all approach is so wrong it offends every part of my soul.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon May 28, 2007 10:16 am

Yeah, I noticed that too. The writers either have no knowledge of history, or they're keeping their cards very close to their chests!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Tue May 29, 2007 4:56 am

theyre probably just ignorant fools. :evil: :evil: :evil:
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue May 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Behold my Fujin impression:

RAGE!

That just makes me feel ill. Poor children who love Harry Potter will think that they're horrible sinners for reading a book. That's just... so cruel.

I just cannot convince myself that these people make these comics out of the desire to help or do good. There's just too much hatred in there. Ugh.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed May 30, 2007 8:02 am

Windwalker wrote:That just makes me feel ill. Poor children who love Harry Potter will think that they're horrible sinners for reading a book. That's just... so cruel.
This reason is one of the many that makes me incapable of having a good word to say about these people. Childhood is already a fleeting thing and there is so much snobbery around children's books that when a gem like Harry Potter comes along which has morality but is so exciting, people should let children enjoy these books and just be glad that they're reading something instead of zoning out in front of the TV!

Destroying a child's enjoyment of one book could destroy their enjoyment of other books too. It's unfair to subject a person to a whole life of disliking and mistrusting books and reading!

Lucus Rose
Level 1
Level 1

Chick Tracts = Joke in the US

Post by Lucus Rose » Thu May 31, 2007 8:11 am

Over here in the US we laugh at these pamphlets. They are so overblown and even the evangelicals wince when the subject is brought up. The theology contained in them is actually heretical in many respects.

Lucus Rose

PS - Since Harry Potter was mentioned there was an item on the TV news today that Universal's Islands of Adventure, a theme park in Florida is adding on a Harry Potter based section.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:49 am

The best quote I ever saw in the newspaper about Harry Potter and the bookbanning problem (Hmmm, new title for the 8th book perhaps :lol: ) was a few years back when the news writer made the observation...

"So watch out next tuesday, when the true magic of Harry Potter asserts itself, and across North America children turn off the TV, Video games, put away the skateboards, stop picking on their siblings and sit down quietly to READ!!!" =D> =D> =D> =D>
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:08 am

I adore the Harry Potter books, I think they're amazing. I've been a bookworm ever since I was a little girl so reading a book over videogames is nothing new to me...however, my brother isn't particularly bookish, yet Harry Potter opened him up to reading Discworld and His Dark Materials and while he still prefers the latest videogame, he does enjoy reading now. That's the magic of Harry Potter - getting boys to turn off their Playstations for a couple of hours! :lol:

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:50 pm

Now personally, I can't stand Harry Potter :lol: But no book should be banned, ever! What happened to FREEDOM??
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:44 pm

I know a few authors that should be banned from writting any more, Von Danikien, for exmple. :lol:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:47 pm

I have posted about these things a few times. I found a box of them when I was a kid and was scared poopless. I mean, what ind of crap is that to hand to a kid?

And don't even get me started on his views on Catholics and Muslims. I know a few fundies who refuse to use his stuff beause (a) it is factually wrong and (b) they aren't that crazy.

http://www.greatcom.org/laws/english/flash/

This is another tract we were taught to use at Bible College. We were told that if we weren't willing to use it on someone we didn't know then we didn't really love God. I failed that section of the course.

I also love how sin = austrolepithicus Robustus skull (sp)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:43 am

just google 4 spiritual laws, it should work that way.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:55 am

It was my evangelism course.

Our professor was not only the most boring woman int he world, but a little nuts.

She spent all her free time handing out tracts and was attempting to spend all day every saturday praying and fasting, from the moment she woke up to the moment she went to sleep again.

I never knew what to think, on the one hand I admired her convictions, on the other hand, I think that we are on this earth to live, learn and enjoy. Not to renounce and wait for a better place. Even with all the bad things that happen, I still think life is pretty good most of the time.

There were a few weird courses there. I guess because you have hormonal teenagers together in one spot along with fundamentalist values, everything is expanded and made more dramatic. Not only do you have to be cooler and prettier, you have to be holier too.

Meh, glad I moved on.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:35 am

Willow wrote:Not to renounce and wait for a better place.
I hope I don't offend anyone, but I believe that waiting for a better place is a huge cop out of being a steward of this world. If you're busy scoring points for the afterlife, you're not going to care what happens to this earth, this world, and it doesn't matter whether you care for it or not because the next world is bound to be better. People should care more about this life than the next because this is the world that needs our stewardship, the next one is pretty well cared for already!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:39 pm

I am not offended, I think that by living good in this life you take care of the next one.

Oh well
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)