Oil Making Question.

All things wiccan...
Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Oil Making Question.

Post by Desiderata20 » Sat May 05, 2007 6:46 pm

So I have looked all over, through books, the internet, etc. My question is what is the best method. I know experimentation is the key here and I should try all ways to find what is comfortable for me, but I would like some opinions. So far I have found two ways to accomplish this:

1) Through Maceration, where the herbs and resins are ground and soaked in the oil for at least a month. Also what carrier oils work the best I have researched and come up with these:
A: Almond Oil
B: Jojoba Oil
C: Vegetable Oil
D: Olive Oil

2) Or through Distillation which is a very long process... Its basically where ice in a bowl will condense the steam from the simmering herbs that will allow it to collect in a glass bowl below it. The whole process takes about three hours depending on how much you are wanting to make. But it will create a VERY concentrated essential oil.. But I think Maceration will do the same thing over time.

Arg. So much to absorb I know. But your comments and opinions are appreciated. #-o
_-Taylor-_

"Nothing strengthens the judgment & quickens the conscience like individual responsibility..."

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat May 05, 2007 10:19 pm

OOO!!! Right up my ally, sir!

Right. Pure essential oils are extracted using the distillation method. You can extract much of the oil through the soaking method, but will have a hard time using this if your oils are for scent (i.e. perfumes, etc). Believe me: It's easier!!! Distillation is hard, expensive, and not worth it!! Although your oils will have a short shelf life as they need to be fresh to give you any essential oils, but any moisture greatly reduces the shelf life of oil. Through the soaking method, you'll come up with something like a tincture rather than the essential oils you buy in the stores. (Tinctures are herbs soaked in alcohol. It works VERY well, and actually works better at absorbing essential oils than the oil method, strangely, as essential oils dissolve in alcohol.)

So what are your plans with the oil, if I may ask?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Sun May 06, 2007 5:54 am

Thanks CHL, great advice, i never thought of the tincture using alcohol. My plans are basically to try and make almost every supply I can as far as oils, powders, etc instead of buying them. That way they will have a greater connection to my energies and have a stronger connection for the purpose in which they are intended. Experimentation is what I am doing right now. I find it very interesting and fun. I think I have a little alchemist in me LOL! :lol:
_-Taylor-_

"Nothing strengthens the judgment & quickens the conscience like individual responsibility..."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun May 06, 2007 10:50 am

I was like that as well ^__^ Oh man, my kitchen was FULL of crazy blends! Since the move, well... not so much
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Sun May 06, 2007 1:40 pm

I know what you mean. Since I have been moving my supplies have deminished, but its probably a good thing, I went through all of my stuff a week ago and threw away a TON of things that I no longer need that were just collecting dust. My apartment just isnt big enough for all of your kitchen ware, plus all my bottles, and vials, herbs, and sachets. I think im going to invest in a trunk. or a large cabinet.
_-Taylor-_

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun May 06, 2007 6:51 pm

It is very worth it to find a place to stow them away, because you never know when you will need lavender oil, or a tea for heartache. I store all mine in the cupboard above my fridge. It's hard to get to, but everything fits, and nothing else useful is going to be stored there.

I have to admit, though, I have almost a fetish for vials and jars and bowls. I had so many!! Leftover baby food jars are amazing! I gave my friends and family teas in them for Xmas. And the jars are cheap like borscht, and you get food with it :P ;)
Crazy Healer Lady

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Sun May 06, 2007 6:59 pm

For real! I love baby food jars, since Connor is now going through them like water, I keep a stash above our pantry.
_-Taylor-_

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon May 07, 2007 6:44 am

I'm not a baby jar fan, but man, I share the love of Bottles. I especially love ones that are interestingly shaped. I've only got about 10 right now. :lol: I'm on a strict "no buying stuff I don't use often" strike. ;)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Mon May 07, 2007 5:22 pm

I love to collect things like that too. Im pretty frugal with my money, but sometimes it gets the best of me.
_-Taylor-_

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed May 09, 2007 7:47 am

I may let it get the best of me, as I buy myself a new Tarot deck. Probally this afternoon! #-o [-X

I shouldn't be buying stuff for myself, but it's for a good price, and darn it, I want it.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Wed May 09, 2007 10:03 am

Lol! I understand though. Sometimes if it is a good deal, you just have to go for it. Because it may not be that cheap next time. Thats the Rachael Ray philosophy coming through. I love that woman, she knows how to do it cheap. Im all about it. :lol:
_-Taylor-_

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Wed May 09, 2007 11:53 am

I know what you mean as well, I say go for it Kitsune.
got
I do cheap as well, they can eat constantly. Does anyone know if they ever outgrow that? The last few years I've been spending 300$ every 2 weeks on food. It's just amazing.

Anyway, I haven't even started my collection of herbs and stuff yet, but I'm working on it..... Wait thats not true, I went to a yard sale the other day and got 3 canning jars for 25Cents. hehe./

Anyway I did start growing some herbs on Beltaine. I've got sprouts already I'm excited, I can't wait.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

chasingprisms
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chasingprisms » Wed May 09, 2007 7:43 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:It is very worth it to find a place to stow them away, because you never know when you will need lavender oil, or a tea for heartache.
No heartache here. :-D
SageWolf wrote: I do cheap as well, they can eat constantly. Does anyone know if they ever outgrow that? The last few years I've been spending 300$ every 2 weeks on food. It's just amazing.
How many mouths are you feeding, if you don't mind me asking?
~*Jessica*~ BFing, BWing, CDing, AP, SAHM to Connor and loving DF to Taylor.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu May 10, 2007 8:38 am

Yep, I bought my Tarot Deck... Then saw an ad in the paper for young ferrets for only $50 bucks.... Man, if only I didn't own a cat, and would have been able to afford the cage and food and stuff! Oh, well, maybe next time. :lol:

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu May 10, 2007 8:56 am

Most of the time I am feeding 4 people, there are times when others come over at just the right time. :lol: :lol: :lol: My son is turning 13 this month and my daughter is 10 my husband is 27 and I'm 32, it's my kids that eat constantly. My husband and I don't eat very much.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know