The Left-Handed Path -- Your opinions

All things wiccan...
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

The Left-Handed Path -- Your opinions

Post by Mahala » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:28 pm

I think some might do it for attention. I don't know much about it, so I'll shut my trap.

Eretik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eretik » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:53 am

It depends what you mean by the term 'LHP'. Do you mean in Wiccan terms[ this being the Wicca forum] or Satanism or one of the many paths where morality is personal, not universal?
Iwas once...I am now...I will yet be...

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:04 am

To me AND THIS IS JUST MY OPNION, there is no such thing as the right handed path and left handed path in Paganism/Wicca/ Heathenism. There is Balance. You cannot have good vs evil, it's just balance. The left handed path refers to satanism in a sense. Anyway there are statements as well about when doing rituals, that you use your dominate hand, 90% of the time the person is right handed. Now if the person is left handed, is he on the left handed path? The left handed path sound fluffy to me. But I'm glad you asked cause that means your willing to learn.

Balance is that there is not too much evil and not too much good, it's balanced out. You as a wiccian pagan or heathen can do a spell, lets say for good or bad, like lets just say someone cheated on you and was dishonest, now is it bad to do an honesty spell or a repellant spell? The honesty spell is where the cheating person always tells the truth.

Or the repellant spell is where the cheating person finds himself being repelled by women who he wishes to cheat on with.

Now I think it's a fine idea, except for one thing. Karma, what comes around goes around. I am also a firm believer in this,I've actually had karmatic backlash from a spell.

But again IMO if you "dark magic" and "light magic" to yourself and noone else, then you have no Karmatic backlash.

I hope I've helped and not confused.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:16 am

I personally think that there is a need for a second path, even in Wicca. Not labeled as evil or even opposition to each other. The left hand path, can mean a variety of things depending on who's using it.

Some use it for satanism, some use the term for those who follow a nature belief but not a worship of the gods, some use it to define those who believe in themselves but not outer gods, and some use it to define those who prefer to explore the death and darkness aspect of paganism, instead of being attracted to the positive.

All in all, I've learned to ask what somebody means when they mention it, and find out exactly which definition they're using, otherwise things can get confused very easily. :roll:

Slightly off topic, In Neo-Cullis, although we don't have a light or dark path, there are two paths, the forest and the mountain... The forest path is a path through the mind where the demons to surpass are yourself and you learn many ways to do everything. Sort of like a jack of all trades. The mountain path leads to stronger disipline and personal strength and they tend to have a smaller compliment of how to do things although their knowledge about things can be just as extensive.

I've recently been guided to realize there are even more paths than this... The ocean path for one. I'm still working on meditations every once in a while to find out more about it. :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Eretik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eretik » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:26 am

I am not Wiccan and I do not consider myself bound by Karma. This is not a concept of my path, I am not fatalistic in belief either. I would not wish to argue about definitions and terms, I am just stating my personal views. I am an ethical person and not without compassion, but I will not hesitate to use my skills to protect my kith and kin, whether that is to the detriment of another , is not my immediate concern. Am I LHP? I consider myself human: thus flawed, but labels like that irritate. Good and Evil are manifestations of the human condition. We are all potentially Gods and Demons, in our actions and choices,especially in regard to others affected by them. There are many out in the world who will take advantage of any percieved 'weakness' regardless of the morality of their target, whether that makes them 'evil' or not is subjective. As for seeking attention, there are those in every belief system and path who do that. I 've seen and spoken with Wiccans who have huge pentagrams on display and revel in the 'oh so you're a witch' comments, I've also gotten to know a few who are reluctant to announce themselves, I like the quiet calm types a lot better.

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:44 pm

Left hand path, right hand path, it's all just labels to me. I know someone who classifies himself as being on the left hand path, and who at one point would have told me that I was on the right. This is however using the definition of left hand path to mean "satanism, some use the term for those who follow a nature belief but not a worship of the gods, some use it to define those who believe in themselves but not outer gods." (thanks Kitsune, good definitions!). He called me a "right-hander" simply because I was pagan, not even knowing what variety of pagan I was. Really when it comes down to it, we've discovered that we're both closer to the middle.

I think you may be referring to the so-called "darker" aspects of paganism in your definition, so I'll say this: yes SOME people do it for attention, especially people in your age group (no offense). Kids in the teenage group like to be seen as "rebels." It somehow makes them seem cooler to their peers, or at least that's what they think. And so as a result, they pursue a path that might be seen as "dark, evil, etc." Hence why many teens get into Wicca/Paganism in the first place. When they realize that Wicca is a very "harm none" religion, sometimes they will be tempted to search harder for the "darker, more evil" type stuff.

On the other hand, there are people who are legitimately interested in the left hand path, and not simply for the desire to be seen as cool. Some people just do better with the darker aspects of life. For example, generally speaking, I've stayed on the "lighter" side of things, but I've never denied the darker aspects, they've just never really jumped out at me as something I should look into. Some might say that my asking someone to do research on the goddess Kali is being interested in the darker aspects though, and in this case they may be right. Does this mean however that I'm going to go and start sacrificing baby animals and cursing random people? Nah, I like baby animals. ;)

Anyway, there isn't anything WRONG with being interested in the darker aspects, after all, each god and goddess of pretty much every pantheon has a light and dark aspect! Just try and keep everything that you learn in perspective. Thus ends my lecture for the evening. 8-)
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Wow, I never thought of half of what you guys said. Proves how much I know about the other side of Wicca. ;)

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:16 pm

I've never believed in concepts like "good" and "evil", because it's all just perspective, you know? You may as well say "with me" and "against me", although I should add that one need not belong to either.

Generally, I feel that anyone who claims to follow the left hand path is a bit silly, because you box yourself in by using the term. Maybe you do follow the left hand path, but defining it like that doesn't help you, it hinders you. Likewise, I take vague offense when people suggest I follow a right hand path. I don't follow either, thank you, I make my own way. It doesn't help that different people have different definitions of "left hand path".

Wikipedia says that scholars of religion reject the terms as entirely unhelpful. I agree.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:07 am

I agree with Windwalker, I never use these terms because they're misleading...they're misleading because no one knows for sure what they mean. Does LHP mean bad, RHP mean good? Or what? Plus, I've never liked putting myself in a box. I like the freedom to call myself by and reject any label I wish. I'm a Witch...but as to whether I'm a Wicked one or a Good one...I couldn't tell you :lol:

I try to live my life and perform my magic through balance :-D
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Eretik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eretik » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:34 am

You should do some research Mahala. It's very interesting, but there are many misconceptions about LHP and the various Pagan paths. I have some links I could give you, but I 'd recommend using a PC outside your home, I read that your family aren't keen on Wicca, so researching from home could be problematic, esp. for some paths/ideology. If you are interested I will post them for you later. Knowledge is power.

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Sat May 05, 2007 6:22 am

Mahala wrote:I think some might do it for attention. I don't know much about it, so I'll shut my trap.
LHP, RHP what do they really mean to anyone of us? Here is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-Hand_ ... -Hand_Path

"The terms Left-Hand Path and Right-Hand Path refer to a postulated dichotomy between two distinct types of religion. The exact meaning of the terms has varied over time. The most modern usage regards religions which focus upon the elevation of the spiritual over the carnal, faith-based worship of one or more deities and the observance of strict moral codes which are supposed to bring humans closer to the Divine as belonging to the Right-Hand Path, while religions which value the advancement and preservation of the self, glorification of the earthly, and personal power over spiritualized goals are considered to belong to the Left-Hand Path. This usage of the terms is invoked almost exclusively by proponents of the Left-Hand Path; opponents (almost always of religions described as "Right-Hand Path") either argue that this is a means of dividing religions (a mislabeled or false dichotomy), or that much of what is called "left hand" is in actuality not legitimate religion."

Honestly there are so many different variations of both that Kitsune is right. We should always ask what that persons definition of either or means to them. Some people are going to do it for attention because that is what they are truly searching for. We just need to be appreciative and respectful of individuals belief systems. 8-)
_-Taylor-_

"Nothing strengthens the judgment & quickens the conscience like individual responsibility..."